SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-14-11, 05:50 PM   #46
MRV
Frogman

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
Hi guys,

Cheers to all !

This is just brilliant! Thanks TDW for more this awesome mod. This is a good motivation to come back again to Sh3. I'm really without free time but more 2 or 3 months ahead and I will go back here.

This TDW's mod and his mod approach opened a new door to some old "impossible to do" mod ideas.

Yesterday I tried the planes fire damage: works flawless!

And the most good news: also that old wanted mod - depth charges making noise allowing you to escape (bold like effect) - seems to work ok too using the same TDW's mod approach. It need more tests and this is my problem now - free time. I will post more info as the mod goes ahead.

Kudos to TWD!
What about fires acting as a light source just as star shells in-game do? turn that dynamic shine orange-red and you have a really epic burning-tanker-effect.
MRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:27 PM   #47
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

I'll be releasing a new version of this soon. I've found a better way for the fires to cause damage to the ships that also causes flooding. Is it quite possible to see a ship sink due to flooding from fires now.

I've also added fire damage to airplanes. Any airplane that smokes and/or has fire emanating from it will sustain damage over time
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 12:24 AM   #48
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I'll be releasing a new version of this soon. I've found a better way for the fires to cause damage to the ships that also causes flooding. Is it quite possible to see a ship sink due to flooding from fires now.

I've also added fire damage to airplanes. Any airplane that smokes and/or has fire emanating from it will sustain damage over time

Sooooo... Will I be able to sink a large ship by shooting the cargo on deck with the flak gun of my IIa? If so, I don't think that's a good idea (As much as I want to lol), and may take some more tweaking.

Note I am running this with GWX and a couple other mods with no problems right now. So good work all around!

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 12:47 PM   #49
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:

Hi TDW,

Some feedback:
Yesterday at night i made a round of test and i noticed that your file isn't working at all. Look, isn't the idea/implementation, the mod works flawless (and i also noticed that the ships don't flood, but will gain hit after hit until it explodes, sinking in two pieces). What isn't working is probably the particlegenerator node (i guess that you made it my hex, no?). For some reason Sh3 isn't "reading" it. So, please, just remake the file and its good to go! (i remade it from yours using Hex/S3D and it's working)

Now returning to the theme, like i said, i also noticed that ships don't flood. I tried to put the virtual DC exploding more below water but no dice. Good to know that you achieve it!

Quote:
Sooooo... Will I be able to sink a large ship by shooting the cargo on deck with the flak gun of my IIa? If so, I don't think that's a good idea (As much as I want to lol), and may take some more tweaking.

Note I am running this with GWX and a couple other mods with no problems right now. So good work all around!
Yes, the ships will gain hit until explode (or sink by flood as TDW said above in the new version). This could sound a bit of so much always the same behaviour...but it's very slow and you can adjust the damage using S3D. Also the better way, is to make the fire_small and fire_big just burn for a time (actually they have a loop effect - they are on the particles.dat file). I adjusted mine for 15min/25min respectivelly and slow damage rate (by TWD mod)...so even if the fire extinguish, the ship have had , at least, some damage and so on. Very good and realistic, a new look for the game IMHO!
Old 03-15-11, 02:04 PM   #50
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I make all my files using hex editor. I don't use, nor ever will use, S3D. Using that tool makes you forget how the file structure works. When you use hex editor you have to remember everything and it keeps you sharp and focused

S3D probably can't 'read' the file correctly due to some things I put into it. I've found ways to block S3D from reading my files or to 'confuse' it so that it reads them incorrectly. I can assure you that the mod is working correctly as I've tested it many times in SH3.

The new version of the mod (that I'll hopefully be releasing today) is a much improved version. The flooding part is exceptional (it works in SH5 so in theory it will work in SH3 - will find out later when I test it with SH3). Planes taking damage from fire is also exceptional

Will you be able to sink/destroy a ship from AA fire? Highly doubt it. A small fire will not take down a ship. It will cause some flooding but won't destroy it. Now depending on where the small fire happens it's possible that it can ignite other zones and cause them to 'go up in flames' and cause additional flooding. Where you place your deck gun shots with the new version is critical.

I might even add damage to the secondary explosions via my SH4 effects for SH3 mod. I've done this with SH5 and it works brilliantly! I have an FX mod for SH5 that adds debris, bodies, oil slicks, etc. just like I did for SH3. In the SH5 version when a fire is burning, at predetermined time intervals seconday explosions are triggered. These secondary explosions emit debris and cause damage to the ships. It's quite a sight to see a ship that is burning (and heavily damaged) suddenly explode into pieces after a secondary explosion happens
Old 03-15-11, 03:06 PM   #51
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

TDW,

Yes i know that (about hex and some files/nodes not reading by S3D intentionally).

What I'm saying is that in my installation (GWX and Stock) the original mod didn't worked at all until i replace the particlesgenerator nodes with a standard Sh3 ones. Well, always is possible that the problem could be at my end only...let's wait for others pp feedback too on the matter.

But what is important is that the mod idea works and very well!

Looking forward for new versions!
Old 03-15-11, 06:11 PM   #52
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Purposely creating files so others tools don't work is just wrong.

Then to brag about it?
That would be like me saying in the SH5 threads that I'll code the upcomeing program to NOT work with anything TDW.
You know that can be done!
Old 03-15-11, 06:33 PM   #53
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Purposely creating files so others tools don't work is just wrong.
If you want to edit/view my work use a hex editor then and learn the file structure. You'll be a much better modder if you do
Old 03-15-11, 06:53 PM   #54
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
The flooding part is exceptional (it works in SH5 so in theory it will work in SH3 - will find out later when I test it with SH3).
What exactly happens in this flooding part?

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 06:56 PM   #55
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwieger View Post
What exactly happens in this flooding part?
The ship starts filling up with water, duh.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 08:51 PM   #56
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
The ship starts filling up with water, duh.
*snicker*

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 08:57 PM   #57
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.3 released. See post #1 for details
Old 03-16-11, 03:38 AM   #58
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
v1.3 released. See post #1 for details
Thanks for update, downloaded and install !!!

Best regards,
Magic
Old 03-16-11, 04:03 AM   #59
KptnLt Eric Karle
Ensign

Downloads: 30

Thanks TDW, downloaded and will install when I get home from work
KptnLt Eric Karle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 05:21 AM   #60
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Great job! It really does add a whole new dimension of realism. Who'd have thought we'd still see new frontiers emerging after all these years? Speaks well of the community and those who devote so many hours to make it better.

Major props for all the hard work and effort!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote