SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-28-17, 01:42 PM   #3646
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post
Thank u for answering happy Hunting .

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-17, 06:05 PM   #3647
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Good evening torpedobait,

Following up your problems with the above area... I have just been sunk by a sub-chaser north of Port Gobo and just south of the Osaka area.

I encountered very heavy traffic including in one screen:
1 x sub-chaser
1 x sampan
1 x tugboat
1 x coastal steamer
1 x whale factory ship
1 x Amati Gunboat (called the sub-chaser that sunk me, 1 depth charge and RIP)

All these vessels were single entities and we had spotted serveral other ships further out before we dived for the last time.

Ok, I have now also had a CTD, just outside Osaka Horbor:

Perhaps this is the problem?

But I will say, there is alot of traffic here also, plus stationary DD's & Sub-chasers for those night surface travellers.. And boy, those shore batteries are very highly trained.

And yes, i'm using the beta, just tinkering and playing with the HUD files. As I prefer the backgrounds on the top icons / shortcuts
Ok i'm going crazy - I'm talking to myself here..

Arrived at Osaka Harbor and checked the other two very near harbor's, no issues found this time... But game did freeze for nearly a minute when Osaka harbor came into view... No warships around only a single gunboat..

I had a good scout round in silent mode and with the external camera and could not find what triggered my last CTD. it was the more or less the same time and date as previous.. But the channel leading up to Osaka was very quite this time round...
Old 01-29-17, 10:26 AM   #3648
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What is that there, s7rikeback, your UMark? a shore emplacement? or what's left of a DD???

The slowdown as you came in, were you still back in the Kiisuido Strait, South of Awaji Island, or were you up closer to Okinoshima Island and close to Osaka Bay?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 10:37 AM   #3649
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What is that there, s7rikeback, your UMark? a shore emplacement? or what's left of a DD???

The slowdown as you came in, were you still back in the Kiisuido Strait, South of Awaji Island, or were you up closer to Okinoshima Island and close to Osaka Bay?
The slowdown starts as you enter the Kiisuido Strait, and gets progressively worse as you near the narrows (Okinoshima Island?) and is most pronounced once in Osaka Bay, until the ctd at 1x TC in mid-bay. At least that is my experience.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 04:43 PM   #3650
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:

It was a shore emplacement. But second time round it had vanished... Low tide perhaps first time round..

Red= Severe slow down
Yellow= Slight slowdown ( so many vessels doing loops )
Blue= CTD area, or system freeze for a scary length of time.

Old 01-29-17, 11:14 PM   #3651
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
radar

Hi I was wondering what Button brings up the gramophone if I click the Gramophone Button it brings up a weird Map.
Old 01-29-17, 11:52 PM   #3652
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Hope I can squeeze in between this mission slowdown issue.

I've just come up for air, with nearly two weeks worth of time involved in getting things right. I plan to upload my work (maybe tomorrow) to the hidden Google site for incorporating into the next FOTRS Ultimate release.

Some time ago, this issue was noted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Testing with .52
Upon returning to Freemantle, 9/3/1943 from photo recon of Surabaya, I accepted the new sub upgrade (from a Gato) and got a Balao. Then I noticed I did not get a full complement of torpedoes. See screen image.

As was pointed out, jldjs found he only had 4 of the 6 forward tubes on his boat after an upgrade. Now I'm not 100% sure, but it doesn't help to have the Balao files for its torpedoes having this kind of gap in its calendar:

Notice the "default" MK14 torpedoes ends on the last day of the year 1942, when the MK23's pick up on January 2nd 1943?! Of all the things a computer can do....it counts very well. Having gaps in time for two specific Balao torpedo tubes, during the very period of time jldjs has his upgraded issue....I think there's a connection.....and a cure coming.

It's these kinds of upgrade/refit issues I've been working on that I'm just about done with. I think you'll find a difference and happily find these issues will soon be forgotten with the game. It's my hope that when a refit or upgrade of a conning tower takes place, the transition will go smother than its been. I'm hoping upgrading from one boat to another will be without a hitch too.

The above "Crew Management" screen is how things will look (its a 1024x768 res screen image...that's why the compass is covering some of the lower AA gun slots). You're going to find most of the "slots" are filled, and you're going to have a couple of the "start out" crew have a Guns Qualification that FOTRS didn't have. And, there won't be a Watch Crew Qualification crewman sitting in the Torpedo section, or a Sensors man winding up in the Engine room. Their going to be starting in their proper place, leaving it up to you to move them if you wish.

Speaking of choices, you're going to find specific weapons will be offered, at specific times for all boats. The default Deck Gun will be the Stern 3"50 Caliber for all boats. However at specific intervals you'll be able to upgrade to a 4"50, then a 5"25....choosing either a Stern, or Bow. There are a few exceptions, the Narwhal will only have twin 4"50's; the S-Class will only have Bow mount deck guns, a choice of all three as time allows. There will be an offer to purchase the twin 5"25's after Jan. 1945 for most of the other subs. Sorry, but its impossible to get two camera's to work with the deck guns as it does with the smaller AA guns.....its a game thing, there's no script for the deck guns like there are with the two AA guns.

The smaller guns will follow the deck guns...... in that, the default weapon will be the .50 Caliber Browning for all boats (I put it on the S-Class, Start of War Conning Tower). As time allows, the 20mm's will come before the 40mm's (single and twin). These upgrades will be offered with the purchase of Renown while your in port.

As expected, filling the crew slots in the Crew Management screen is required for manning the guns:

I've added a crew of 4 to the deck guns.....a crew leader, and a loader (sorry, he's only going to stand near the breach). As this Narwhal shows, the 4"50's are manned, and the AA 20mm is out of the "hole" the stock game has it in on this early war tower. I just couldn't see shooting the heck out of the sides of the rear tower because of the low pedestal mount. I raised it up:

I also, made some different looking Ammunition for the guns. The 20mm looks different than the 40, the DG is different still. I also put Flak Burst shells in play for the 20, 40, and 5"25 DG.

You'll still have Armor Piercing, and High Explosive shells with the guns. All ammunition are color coded....... Black projectile for the AP, Green with a Red tip for HE, solid Green with a White band for the Anti-Aircraft Burst shell.

The other thing I became concerned with was that constant "Yes Sir", "Yes Sir", "Yes Sir"..... after making a command! TheBeast mentioned something the other day that put me to thinking about it. With some lengthy trial and error (there are 27 different voice "Yes Sir's" that are possible culprits) I was able to get rid of the repeat phrase. You'll hear it one time, and that's it.

Seems I've left out some things, I can't remember them now....anyway, these changes will be in our next public release.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 06:37 AM   #3653
propbeanie

CapnScurvy, excellent report! wow... very nice sir.

Old 01-30-17, 07:02 AM   #3654
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
The slowdown starts as you enter the Kiisuido Strait, and gets progressively worse as you near the narrows (Okinoshima Island?) and is most pronounced once in Osaka Bay, until the ctd at 1x TC in mid-bay. At least that is my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
It was a shore emplacement. But second time round it had vanished... Low tide perhaps first time round..
... edit ...
So you both have had very similar experiences... I do not understand how a shore placement ends up out in the the middle of the bay, unless they're "drawn" similarly to an RGG, and only generate when a player's boat is close... Near the Kobe area is where some of the warships are supposed to generate in the HarborTraffic layer, but everything is set to "GENERIC" for practically the entire harbor. There are a few "PC" groups for Patrol Craft that use questionable generic calls that may not have vessels available. However, I'm looking in the other layers now for a specific vessel call that is incorrect. Do any of you with this experience have an approximate time frame? It would help with narrowing down which file to suspect the most. You'll not be surprised that our main suspect is... 4Xx_Jap_TaskForce... again... We might have to change how they run.

Old 01-30-17, 07:23 AM   #3655
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post
Hi I was wondering what Button brings up the gramophone if I click the Gramophone Button it brings up a weird Map.
I do not recall off the top of my head if there's a shortcut keypress for that, but if you go into the Radio Room / Captain's Cabin in a Gar boat, over the left shoulder of the radioman is the phonograph player. If you click on that, it'll open a conversion chart (that has typos in it), and at the bottom of that "sheet" is the phonograph player. The control buttons are on the very bottom edge of the sheet under the phonograph, and right next to the close "X" button. You might have to drag the sheet up in order to be able to see that, depending upon your screen resolution. If I'm remembering correctly, the "plain" FotRSU only has the one song in it, and that is the theme music...

Edit: Just ran a few single missions, and the radio on the Gar is on the shelf up and behind the Radioman. If you're on a Porpoise boat, the radio and that map are in the overhead above the chart table's lights. The radio is like the phonograph, in that it is at the bottom of that map "sheet" in the lower right, and may not be visible unless you click and drag the screen.

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-30-17 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Gar Porpoise radio.
Old 01-30-17, 08:22 AM   #3656
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
So you both have had very similar experiences... I do not understand how a shore placement ends up out in the the middle of the bay, unless they're "drawn" similarly to an RGG, and only generate when a player's boat is close... Near the Kobe area is where some of the warships are supposed to generate in the HarborTraffic layer, but everything is set to "GENERIC" for practically the entire harbor. There are a few "PC" groups for Patrol Craft that use questionable generic calls that may not have vessels available. However, I'm looking in the other layers now for a specific vessel call that is incorrect. Do any of you with this experience have an approximate time frame? It would help with narrowing down which file to suspect the most. You'll not be surprised that our main suspect is... 4Xx_Jap_TaskForce... again... We might have to change how they run.
Mine occurred on December 25, 1942. On one of the attempts before the CTD, I took a look around the narrows with the external cam. I saw shore emplacements on both sides of the entrance right where you'd expect them to be. They were on dry land and commanded both directions into and out of the bay. I also took a quick "fly-by" at the first harbor on the port side going into the bay. There were multiple vessels (warships) docked side by side, several occurrences of three each. I did not linger or check other harbors.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 11:21 AM   #3657
Duskbringer
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

This looks awesome. I can't wait to get my PC built to play silent Hunter again! Now my only question is there a way to make playable surface ships work for this?
Duskbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 12:27 PM   #3658
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskbringer View Post
This looks awesome. I can't wait to get my PC built to play silent Hunter again! Now my only question is there a way to make playable surface ships work for this?
As youi can see from some of the things mentioned above, FOTRSU is still very much a work in progress. However the work is still ongoing and we are making progress. I can't say for sure but at some later point there might be some kind of plugin made to accommodate playable ships, only time will tell.

BTW, Welcome to Subsim, Duskbringer. Happy to have you aboard.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 12:54 PM   #3659
Duskbringer
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

Thanks for the info. Glad to be back
Duskbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 01:21 PM   #3660
gutted