SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-18, 08:21 AM   #1
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 Mk XIV Torpedoes complete failure

I haven't had much free time to play SH 4 Wolves of the Pacific for several months:

Finally, a couple of days ago, I had enough spare time to start a new career; starting 1943, Pearl Harbor, Tambor class Sub: decided not to use gameplay setting for dud torpedoes.

Problem: Every single torpedo I have fired has failed completely and just passes straight through the target ship as though it isn't there; it doesn't matter what torpedo depth setting or speed; I am hitting ships broadside on and NADA - the attack map graphic shows the torpedo going right through the target. No matter how many combinations I played, it was total torpedo failure.

I ended up uninstalling the game (with which I was using the 4.14 patch), then reinstalled with patch, then played saved game with same result, totally useless torpedoes. Right now, all I can think of doing is is abandoning my current career path, remove the saved games and start all over again, hoping that the blasted torpedoes will magically start working as intended. So much for enjoying my leisure time playing SH 4.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 11:49 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That sounds like the proverbial "mod soup", where parts of the game get mixed-up. Did you try to activate any mods? Another way to get similar, is if your original copy of the game is v1.3 and you play it, then Save. You later then install the v1.4 patch, as you mention, and you then load a Save from your v1.3 play. That "cross-contaminates" the Save, rendering it practically useless for either version of the game. Definitely delete your Save folder and re-install SH4, then the v1.4 patch, then play the game. Be aware that most mods are written for v1.5 of the game, which are not compatible with v1.4 of the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 06:25 PM   #3
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17
wolf_howl15

Thanks propbeanie, but that doesn't seem to be the problem: I added the v1.4 patch to a clean install, before playing or saving any games, nor have I added any other modifications, v1.5 or otherwise.
I'm going to delete my saved games, start all over again and see what happens to my torpedoes...
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 08:34 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Two things else to check for then. #1, the "Dud Torpedoes" thing on the Options screen, the box is empty, correct? If you are in a career, there is another options thingie that you get to from the Captain's Office, by clicking on the wooden console radio toward the left side of the room. Be sure that is set the way you want it. #2, if you "shell-out" to Windows by using the Windows key, or the <Ctrl> or <Alt> <Tab> key combinations, the game gets confused when you come back into the game, though a Save and exit will usually clear that for the next time you load the Saved game... Beyond that, if you turn "Dud torpedoes" off, then you should not have any duds...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 01:59 AM   #5
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
#2, if you "shell-out" to Windows by using the Windows key, or the <Ctrl> or <Alt> <Tab> key combinations, the game gets confused when you come back into the game, though a Save and exit will usually clear that for the next time you load the Saved game... Beyond that, if you turn "Dud torpedoes" off, then you should not have any duds...
"shell-out" to Windows by using the Windows key, it is the cause of many problems often difficult to solve.I did a test in the museum on some ships the men are at the gun if I go outside/inside by game with "windows key "the men disappear but the helmets remain as they "floated into the void" !!
this is just a "graphic ... visible" problem, but inside the game the problems are more serious and difficult to identify.
And "passes straight through the target ship as though it isn't there" it could be one of these.

Last edited by hauangua; 07-28-18 at 02:07 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote