Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-17, 04:10 AM   #1
burroughs
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Harpoon ANW HUCE - game freezes on BOL

As per thread subject - I tested that on both my OSs - Win7 and Win8 and two different machines using various databases in the course of the investigation, launching different scenarios as long as they had a platform with weaponry capable of BOL. Tested the game .exe file with different compatibility settings and with or without optional files initialized, but the result is always the same - the game freezes beyond recovery as soon as the BOL dialogue box is closed. I have searched Herman's channel on YT, but found only a similar issue with the TALD engagements, but nothing about BOL freezing the game.

I have had CMANO for several years, but somehow Harpoon found its way into a fond attachment, but this is a major game stopper and I have not seen that before. BTW, kudos to Herman again - as long as this game has such ambassadors the rumours about its demise are furthest from truth and not only premature.
burroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 11:29 AM   #2
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by burroughs View Post
As per thread subject - I tested that on both my OSs - Win7 and Win8 and two different machines using various databases in the course of the investigation, launching different scenarios as long as they had a platform with weaponry capable of BOL. Tested the game .exe file with different compatibility settings and with or without optional files initialized, but the result is always the same - the game freezes beyond recovery as soon as the BOL dialogue box is closed. I have searched Herman's channel on YT, but found only a similar issue with the TALD engagements, but nothing about BOL freezing the game.
I tested for your crash, but could not replicate it on either my WinXP or Win7 Pro machines. In both instances, I ran the 01.0 Advance Subs scenario from the Falklands Battleset at 1:1 time compression and fired BOL torpedoes successfully from the SSN Spartan without any CTD.

The BOL CTD bug was discovered and reported in v3.11 of HUE. CTD upon Bearing-Only-Launch

I re-tested when v3.11.1 was released and found that the bug had been (supposedly) fixed, when the CTD did not recur. (It is the last item on the list.) http://www.harplonkhq.com/forum/view...?f=8&t=18#p328

Your mention of HUCE confused me at start, but I think that we are discussing the HUE version of the game. Is your HUE version v3.11 or v3.11.1? That could explain a great deal and solve your problem.

Quote:
I have had CMANO for several years, but somehow Harpoon found its way into a fond attachment, but this is a major game stopper and I have not seen that before. BTW, kudos to Herman again - as long as this game has such ambassadors the rumours about its demise are furthest from truth and not only premature.
It drives some people nuts to know that users continue to play and enjoy Harpoon. Glad to see your return to the game. Harpoon will continue so long as there are folks interested in playing it, regardless of HarPlonk or any channel supporting it.

If you have specific questions about a game situation, a saved game file would help clear up uncertainties. While this is not possible on SubSim, files may be attached to your thread on HarPlonkHQ.

http://www.harplonkhq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=530

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 05:18 PM   #3
burroughs
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post

If you have specific questions about a game situation, a saved game file would help clear up uncertainties. While this is not possible on SubSim, files may be attached to your thread on HarPlonkHQ.

http://www.harplonkhq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=530
Thanks a lot, I have moved the investigation there. A quality reply as before and as usual. Actually your movies at Harplonk made me get back for good or actually halped me to make my mind up and hasten the return. Thanks for that.
burroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 07:02 PM   #4
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Actually your movies at Harplonk made me get back for good or actually halped me to make my mind up and hasten the return. Thanks for that.
Glad to see that someone finds our videos useful. It makes the effort worthwhile.
We are here to help.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bol, game freezes