SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-12, 04:56 PM   #1
bob douglas
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default so called mission editor

Ahoy Mates,

Hope someone out there has been able to get that blankey-blank mission editor to work like it should. I've patched my battlefront version 1 to 1.3 with the battlefront provided patch. Have tried to follow the 2 disjointed and overly complex instructions in the so called "help files". I can get the main menu to display My missions in episode 0 along with the mission info, and can even click on the start button. But can only see the 2D screen, nothing in the 3D screen area. And my boat does not appear on the 2D screen. So close, yet so far. I even downloaded the 1.4 patch just in case there were some additional instructions included in them, but after installing them, it would not appear to be the case. Not sure if it makes any difference, but my game version still says V1.3. Seeing that there are not a lot of other folks asking about mission editor problems, either I am missing something really simple, something really important is missing from the help files, or nobody is interested in creating their own missions. So, wahtever the reason, I hope SOMEBODY who has had and solved problems with the mission editor will throw me a life-vest and keep this game of mine afloat. It has great graphics and great potential, if I can just get the ME to work.

Thanks for any kind of help,
Bob D.
bob douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 01:23 PM   #2
76mm
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

Hi, I noticed this game on sale for $10 and picked it up. I think it has a lot of potential, but am having some problems with the mission editor. I can set up a basic mission easily enough, but have three problems:

1) Despite the use of triggers and events, I cannot get enemy ships to move to attack my ships. They will fire on my ships if their movement path takes it within range, but they will not deviate from their movement path, and for instance, will simply keep going rather than stopping or maneuvering to engage my ships.

2) I cannot get planes to attack ships at all. They will fly right over them, but nothing more.

3) I've added the line to the start.ini file to enter god mode (for wording on these issues in the scenario editor, but it has not worked--enemy ships not visible.

The first two issues should be resolvable, as they work in the scripted missions, but having used the existing missions as a template I still cannot get it to work and am getting rather frustrated. Have other people had more success with this?
76mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 11:50 PM   #3
76mm
Swabbie

OK, not lots of action on this forum. I have been playing with the mission editor, trying to fix the problems mentioned in my first post, so far without success. The strange thing is that if I edit one of the existing missions by removing a trigger or event, this seems to deactivate all of the other triggers or events. I wonder if we need to "compile" a mission so that the triggers and events work properly? If so, I don't see any description of how to do this.
Old 09-04-12, 09:49 PM   #4
76mm
Swabbie

i forgot to mention that god mode was working, it just meant something other than what I thought--it didn't mean that I could see all ships, but that my ships could not be destroyed.

Almost three hundred views and no responses...so no one has successfully developed any missions for this game?
Old 09-06-12, 12:45 PM   #5
76mm
Swabbie

Well, I guess this is a conversation with myself at this point, but anyway, I wanted to report that things are a little stranger than I thought...

In previous posts I've mentioned that if I modified a mission, it seemed to deactivate all of the triggers/events. I'm still playing around with this (for now) and now understand that the triggers/events are cancelled even if you simply save the mission with a different name, and don't change the mission itself.

If anyone cares to see what I'm talking about, open the first Soviet Black Sea scenario ("Adventures of the Belostok"). Within a few minutes, a recon plane will appear and circle over your fleet. In a few more minutes an HE-111 shows up from the north and drops a torpedo.

The recon plane is on a fixed route determined by waypoints and will keep showing up if you modify the mission in the editor. The bomber is flying a holding pattern off map, but based on the triggers/events in the mission will leave that holding pattern and attack the Belostok. If you revise the mission in any way, the recon plane will appear, but the bomber will not show up, so it appears that the triggers/events have been deactivated somehow.

This is all very interesting but I've gotten a bit frustrated and will probably give up soon unless someone has a bright idea.

Last edited by 76mm; 09-16-12 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-24-12, 12:59 PM   #6
Captain_Rockwell_Torry
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Mission Editor

The only thing I have managed to do with the Editor, is add some more playable ships into an existing mission and saving it as the same mission name. I backed up the original missions, that way I can still go back to them if I need to. I haven't managed to figure out how to make new missions yet. I tried that first, but couldn't even get them to show up in the list, even though I followed the instructions in the editor manual. I'm sure I need the patch for Knights in order to edit any missions in that game as they are all py files and not editable, but I understand they released an editor for Knight of the Sea in one of the patches. Anyway that's all I've found out so far.

Regards:
Captain Rockwell Torry