SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-30-08, 08:45 AM   #31
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
I pity the Moderators if it is a Q1 2009 release, RDP.

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 10:53 AM   #32
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

I would love to see a Cold War scenerio,Cat and Mouse games with U.S. and Soviet subs along with hunter/killer groups on the surface would be a welcomed change from the much overdone Atlantic theater,bring on the tension and stress of "The Cold War"

It's very encouraging for us subsimmers if the Publisher/Developers are looking towards a sequel for the series,this must mean it had some bottom line $ucce$$.
Old 09-30-08, 12:09 PM   #33
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Silent Hunter V - Heroes of the Baltic Sea:rotfl:
Old 09-30-08, 12:20 PM   #34
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

No ships were sunk from what I understand (and im pretty sure there wernt) so we would have a fake campagine which would get boreing after a while, Veary fiew to no Info on the inside and the subs there selfs, cause they wanted to keep every thing secret as possiable. Also UBI already has the stuff left over from SH3/4 that would make it easyer on them. I dont know about you all, but a Cold War campagine would bore me, Almost everything operated by computers.
Old 09-30-08, 12:23 PM   #35
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

If programmers can't properly reproduce 1940's technology, which is fully understood, how could they even begin to replicate 1960's to 2000's technology, much of which is still secret.

Their choice to go with a revolutionary strategy "all new code" instead of an evolutionary and modular production shows that they have no long-term committment to excellence. That is likely very bad for developers and us.

A proper way to do this would be to announce a ten year program of continuous development with the goal of keeping a stable development team employed during the entire tenure. Taking a page from Ubuntu, an update could be released every three or six months, downloaded online. The game could be sold for a $30.00 upfront fee for the installation DVD and then a subscription of $5.00 per month for update privileges and online play. In fact, the game could have an online component that would prevent you from playing at all without a current valid subscription.

Repeating failed policies is likely to produce more failure. What we have is the best there is, but that doesn't mean that things could not be considerably better. A little enthusiasm, imagination and committment might produce wonders.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 12:29 PM   #36
Task Force
Rear Admiral

To be honest with you, I think the Silent hunter series has run its full corse. I think this will be the last one, Maby a add on later. But we all know what happens to most movies. The first, second, and possiably third are good. But after that.
Old 09-30-08, 12:30 PM   #37
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Their choice to go with a revolutionary strategy "all new code" instead of an evolutionary and modular production shows that they have no long-term committment to excellence.
I dont follow this logic.

The choice to stick with old code would be better?

Im pretty sure they intend to take advantage of DX10 and other 'new' technologies.

Meh its vaporware at the moment anyhow.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 12:37 PM   #38
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
Quote:
Their choice to go with a revolutionary strategy "all new code" instead of an evolutionary and modular production shows that they have no long-term committment to excellence.

Im pretty sure they intend to take advantage of DX10 and other 'new' technologies.

Thats probably all there gona do is add a DX10 option, improve sea model make waves more realistic, Improve textures, and some effects. Possiably make a full Atlanic campagine/ Picific campagine. New boats that are modeled better. EX make the Fleet boats actualy have water inlet(cant remember name) holes like the two boats in the add on do. They might even add a british/ japanease campagine.
Old 09-30-08, 12:41 PM   #39
badaboom
Weps

@RR,Interesting concept,upfront money with monthly commitment =long term product support and development from co. and publisher.Hmmm interesting.
Old 09-30-08, 12:48 PM   #40
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

I can't imagine it being a modern sub sim.

If it was a modern day sub I think they'd call it something other than SH5.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 01:18 PM   #41
doulos05
Planesman

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
Quote:

The logic to stick with old code is basically along the lines of "Better the devil you know...." Theoretically, they have found the most glaring bugs in this codebase (not all the bugs, mind you), therefore they can build on what they know to be a firmer foundation. Building in DX10 shouldn't be too hard, assuming the code is written modularly as RR mentioned. If it's too hard, it's a sign that the code isn't orthangonal (A fancy word to say each change has a minimum number of unintended side-effects). In that case, it's a nightmare waiting to happen and "All new codebase" may be the only way to go.
Me:
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 01:25 PM   #42
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaboom
@RR,Interesting concept,upfront money with monthly commitment =long term product support and development from co. and publisher.Hmmm interesting.
Hey, a PC <> a console! We're a different market that deserves to be treated differently. Especially with an excellent simulation, we are not part of the buy a game, beat it in 3 weeks, throw it aside and go buy another console cycle. A great simulation engages players for years. The trick is to produce profits from that very different gaming pattern.

The PC sector has not been profitable because it hasn't been treated correctly.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 01:32 PM   #43
Task Force
Rear Admiral

And also this all new code may supprise you, It may make it easyer to mod the game and they might even release a editing thingy that allows you to change some of the hard coded stuff with it. May even make it run better, and have less bugs.

Im also hopeing they include ATO/PTO campagines, so I can have both worlds working on the same game. Maby they could make it where the water changes from the Atlanic to the Picific, so the atlanic is murky and green, and the Picific is clearer and more blue. Finaly. They need to fix the weather, For EX. In the atlanic, they have horiable storms, with huge waves. I would like it if they would make bigger waves and have there be no Sub on rails effect when going down or up a wave. In actuality the waves should make it impossiable to fire torpedos on those wavey days. Also so we dont have weather like this for entire patrols they need to fix the file that controals the weather. That would be the game I would by before any outher.:p
Old 09-30-08, 01:33 PM   #44
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaboom
Hey, a PC <> a console! We're a different market that deserves to be treated differently. Especially with an excellent simulation, we are not part of the buy a game, beat it in 3 weeks, throw it aside and go buy another console cycle. A great simulation engages players for years. The trick is to produce profits from that very different gaming pattern.

The PC sector has not been profitable because it hasn't been treated correctly.
Exactly my opinion. I want a game that will take a long time for it to bore me. For example I still havent gotten board with SH3/4 and Ive had both for a year.
Old 09-30-08, 01:37 PM   #45
badaboom
Weps

@RR I concur with the majority of your statement,the only flaw in the pc market I see is[dare I say it] Piracy I don't believe it is as common in the console market.