SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-09, 02:46 PM   #211
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

To all

I have red every post in this thread and I can ONLY play the vanilla with a nocd-crack(sorry it's the only way) I can't patch it or something like it.

So tomorrow I'm gonna do a partitionering(you divide you HDD into several sektion) In my case two one for the vista and the other for XP home edition.

90% of my old game can only be played on XP and I'm not interestet in throwing them away.

Regards
Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 04:22 AM   #212
Synthfg
Sparky

Downloads: 64

I just installed the game, GWX and Commander under vista without too many problems The trick seems to be run everything with the run as administrator option under the computability tab clicked Installed Game, Updated Star force Ran the Game, and exit Updated to GXWIII Ran the game, and exit Installed Commander Selected the options I wanted Ran the Game from commander and exit Installed the JSGME options I wanted Game now runs fine
Synthfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 08:22 PM   #213
zoso791
Mate

Downloads: 2

Hi guys
I just bough a new computer. Ive been trying to install SH3 all day now. Everytime I go to install the Starforce update it says "no protected software found".

I have the game installed under a different folder, as many people here have suggested (C:\games\....) and no luck. Can someone please help me. I love this game to death and it would drive me nuts if I can't play it.

Jan
zoso791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 03:21 AM   #214
Kasbe
Watch

Downloads: 3

I managed to install my copy without any problem, but I cant update to 1.4b. As it's been said, run everything with administrator rights. If I get to solve the patching problem anytime soon, Ill come back with the solution. If not, goodbye GWX .

EDIT: I managed to do it. You have to run the patch with admin rights after restarting the computer and then install GWX. Now I have only one thing left to do: learning to play :P (yup, I bought SHIII just now and Im playing for the first time)

Last edited by Kasbe; 04-14-09 at 04:46 AM. Reason: solution found
Kasbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 07:41 AM   #215
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso791 View Post
Hi guys
I just bough a new computer. Ive been trying to install SH3 all day now. Everytime I go to install the Starforce update it says "no protected software found".

I have the game installed under a different folder, as many people here have suggested (C:\games\....) and no luck. Can someone please help me. I love this game to death and it would drive me nuts if I can't play it.

Jan
Spring for the starforce free, patched version which does not require the DVD in the drive. Get at the Subsim store.
Old 04-14-09, 10:17 AM   #216
Kasbe
Watch

Downloads: 3

Make sure you are running the patch on a clean installation. Mine wouldnt patch because, even if I had uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times, I hadnt completely deleted all SH3 folders and some GWX files were still there even after uninstalling the game (yes, I didnt read the manual and tried to install GWX on a 1.0 version). Giving the patch program admin rights is also a must. And if you are using a no-cd patch, I think it breaks the patcher too.

Reinstalling the game a lot of times its lame, but try once more deleting the game's folder after uninstalling it, and repeat the whole process again (oh, and I dont know if it's neccesary, but I rebooted my computer after installing the game, before applying the patch)
Kasbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 12:25 PM   #217
zoso791
Mate

Thanks guys for all the help. I emailed both Star-force and Ubisoft for help. Star-force tried helping but said that their protection software was outdated and to contact Ubisoft. I did and basically got the "the game isn't supported under Vista" speech and other excuses with little or no help.

I will give it a try your idea Kasbe. I will continue trying to install it for a while until it gets hopeless

irish1958 can you post a link where I can buy it. I looked in the store but for some odd reason I can't seem to find it. In all reality I would not mind buying a nother version. As long as I can sink ships using GWX 3 and all the other updated (mods) I have I'll be a happy camper.

Jan
Old 04-14-09, 02:38 PM   #218
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

It is here (http://www.subsim.com/store.html); it is a combined SH2 and SH3 DVD set, starforce free and patched to 1.4b with no DVD needed in the drive.
Scroll down to the end of the list.
Also here, but it costs more: http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-.../dp/B00023XXN6
Here is where I purchased mine for $9.99+S+H http://store.navalwarfare.org/

Last edited by irish1958; 04-14-09 at 02:55 PM.
irish1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 02:16 AM   #219
zoso791
Mate

OK guys a bit of an update. I own GT Legends a game that to is from 2005 and also has the dreaded STAR FORCE. I was able to get that running just fine without any problems so Silent Hunter should work just need to figure out how to get it there...

Thanks for all the help
Jan

P.S
If I have more problems I'll let you all know.
Old 04-15-09, 12:47 PM   #220
rjcjunior
Watch

Downloads: 0

I do everything... but the game starts in brown screen, cursor is big and leave trails in screen when moving. I guess the problem is video card driver, but I update ii and the problem persist. What I can do?
Old 04-15-09, 01:16 PM   #221
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcjunior View Post
I do everything... but the game starts in brown screen, cursor is big and leave trails in screen when moving. I guess the problem is video card driver, but I update ii and the problem persist. What I can do?
What are your computer specs?
Old 04-15-09, 01:29 PM   #222
rjcjunior
Watch

After a long time in the deep, we return... win vista home premiun, 2gb, intel centrino duo 2.0ghz, geforce 8400M GT. I run with administrator previlege, patched to 1.4b and... cranck!!!!!
Old 04-17-09, 08:50 PM   #223
zoso791
Mate

Hi all
After a week and a half of struggle I have SHIII finally working. The game works just fine on Vista 64-bit with no problems. Thanks for all your guys help.

Jan
Old 04-18-09, 08:38 AM   #224
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcjunior View Post
After a long time in the deep, we return... win vista home premiun, 2gb, intel centrino duo 2.0ghz, geforce 8400M GT. I run with administrator previlege, patched to 1.4b and... cranck!!!!!
Mouse trails are often due to RAM overload. Thy AlacrityPC to free up memory. I have 4Gb of memory and I might have windows using 1.5Gb at any given time. With AlacrityPC I might have windows using only 375Mb.
Also, ready boost may help.
Old 04-23-09, 05:45 AM   #225
rjcjunior
Watch

problem solved.
if u have klite codec pack, disable ffdshow filter, it runs well