SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Fleet Boat Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #5416
CapnScurvy
General Nuisance

Downloads: 456
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait
I started my career on December 8, 1941 based at Midway
As I said, the issue is in the stock game. Trying to follow a complete Campaign from start to finish is going to cause this game to loose tract of what time it is!!

If you start a "new" Campaign in Fotrs Ultimate, at the offered "Beginning of 1945" start date.....go to any of the offered bases, use any of the offered subs.....you get a working ST Periscope Radar.

When you bring a load of "baggage" from a previous Campaign start date.....the game doesn't know what to do with it when the "new" equipment is supposed to start. It's a flaw in the game due to how it saves itself.

This isn't new, there's dozens and DOZENS of players that have questioned why things happen after a "save" game (like this recent thread)......the simple reason is the game is flawed and we can't do a thing about it except come up with a different way to play......like playing only short Campaign games that start/end during short/specific time periods.

After 10 plus years of this kind of problem, we need to face the facts....the game is flawed in its saved games, and we can't do a thing about it! Within Fotrs Ultimate, we've tried to correct every angle of dates and upgrades, missions and refits. We're the only mod that gives you a working ST Radar! But, the game still needs a hammer taken to it to correct it's inherent flaws.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #5417
mark bonamer
Son of a hellava Sailor

Downloads: 193
Uploads: 1
Default Something for the next release of Ultimate

i have a request/suggestion: can we update the radio messages to include a message when someone's base is changed? this happens most often with the Asiatic fleet early in the war due to the Japanese string of early territory gains. for example, if one begins in Manila and Manila is abandoned in December or January, can that message be broadcast such like all of the sub captains' sinking reports? i make the request with respect because this is a fine MOD and i have been surprised by base changes too often not to ask...at least once.
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 8 GB Ram running Win7
mark bonamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #5418
propbeanie
CTD Überbringer

Downloads: 185
Uploads: 0

I haven't checked into those messages yet mark bonamer, but the game is ~supposed~ to transmit a message for you. I know that Stock does it. Part of the problem is similar to what CapnScurvy mentions above with the game and its failure to keep accurate time. Another part of it is the mods and edits to the mods that will mess-up what is displayed in the game. I'll see if I can't trace through what's supposed to happen with that next week, and see if it all needs updating. I don't remember if that goes through the Radio Messages thingie in the Sounds folder, or if it's kicked-in from the Flotillas file (or both)...

propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #5419
torpedobait
Captain

Downloads: 327
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
As I said, the issue is in the stock game. Trying to follow a complete Campaign from start to finish is going to cause this game to loose tract of what time it is!!

If you start a "new" Campaign in Fotrs Ultimate, at the offered "Beginning of 1945" start date.....go to any of the offered bases, use any of the offered subs.....you get a working ST Periscope Radar.

When you bring a load of "baggage" from a previous Campaign start date.....the game doesn't know what to do with it when the "new" equipment is supposed to start. It's a flaw in the game due to how it saves itself.

This isn't new, there's dozens and DOZENS of players that have questioned why things happen after a "save" game (like this recent thread)......the simple reason is the game is flawed and we can't do a thing about it except come up with a different way to play......like playing only short Campaign games that start/end during short/specific time periods.

After 10 plus years of this kind of problem, we need to face the facts....the game is flawed in its saved games, and we can't do a thing about it! Within Fotrs Ultimate, we've tried to correct every angle of dates and upgrades, missions and refits. We're the only mod that gives you a working ST Radar! But, the game still needs a hammer taken to it to correct it's inherent flaws.
Thank you, Captain for the thorough explanation. I accept it, and should I play another complete campaign will be aware and not bitch about it (although it is my understanding that a bitching sailor is a happy sailor!)

I am perfectly content with the SJ-1 Improved Radar when it comes available, but will start a later campaign from time to time to enjoy the later innovations in radar. Much thanks to you, Propbeanie and the mod team. My somewhat quiet (retired) life is enriched by what you have produced. I will go to SH3 from time to time, but always come back to SH4 and FOTARS Ultimate. Great job, guys! Have a beer on me!

Software: Win7 Pro 64-bit, FOTARS Ultimate v0.63 Public Beta EN, Large Address Aware, Smart Game Booster 4.
Hardware: Falcon-NW Mach V, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7CPU 975@ 3.33GHz, 12Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX970, Creative SoundBlaster Z.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote