Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-03-17, 04:20 AM   #16
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
I prefer wining than killing or tracking. Some scenarios have task: kill all enemy, some others have task "do something". My goal is always make everything for complete scenario with team - not individual.
I am not lone hunter - my all skills are useful for team winning - not single opponent killing. Of course i can kill any opponent if i have to.

I hope you will play against me in near future to see that it is not your skill, but lacking of skill in your opponent. This situation (500 yds) is only your dream, my friend

BTW we are meet in Discord channel for MP sessions. Would you join us?

DWLD channel

Challenge accepted (PS i am rusty haven't played in years)

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 06:15 AM   #17
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Challenge accepted (PS i am rusty haven't played in years)
Nice! You will not regret this

We play with RA 1.43 mod + latest patch #2 (cumulative)

My nick is "Pepe (CEST time zone)"

(now CEST=CET=UTC+1)
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 06:55 AM   #18
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Nice! You will not regret this

We play with RA 1.43 mod + latest patch #2 (cumulative)

My nick is "Pepe (CEST time zone)"

(now CEST=CET=UTC+1)
Based in London so GMT is my zone should be good to go atm using stock 1.04 can move it about will have to re install the mods

Old 11-03-17, 07:01 AM   #19
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

It is very nice that you guys going to do some MP but some of the statements above need some clarification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN:
Blade Count (or Turn Count) is a freebie as long as you're confident in what type of ship is making the sound. If you know the Blade Count and the ship type (or "class") you can derive the speed the contact is travelling.
What is misleading over here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8:
In my opinion suggesting that counting blades is important for identification is only misleading.
Sorry but where was stated by ET2SN that blade count determines identification?

Ok I get your point and advice to start and stick with NB until you are able to discern Frequency Strings and subsequently determine class of the ship. Then proceed to BB assign tracker and then Demon for speed.

Is this the center point of the whole dispute: a sequence of using sonar stations?
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 07:46 AM   #20
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
What is misleading over here ?
Focusing on Blades is misleading. Let's counts blades (word):
Quote:
For the purposes of this post, I'm limiting this topic to submarines.
For most of the time you are limited to one type of sensor, sonar. There are no windows to look out of because below 50 feet there is nothing to see.
Sonar provides you with three or four basics. The sound from another contact, ie something is out there, the direction that sound is coming from, and the contact's Blade Count. If the contact is loud enough your sonar crew and their equipment can also take that sound apart and isolate the frequencies its made of.
Blade Count (or Turn Count) is a freebie as long as you're confident in what type of ship is making the sound. If you know the Blade Count and the ship type (or "class") you can derive the speed the contact is travelling. You also get one more freebie, and its always the first sonar screen you should check, your sound velocity profile. If you have a strong layer, make note of where the boundry is in case you'll need it later.
RED text is latest important thing for building picture of situation. Green is very important. Wraped words are pure misleading.

Quote:
Sorry but where was stated by ET2SN that blade count determines identification?
Not directly but in manual is suggestion that counting blades helps determine ship type.
From manual:
Quote:
Use the following criteria to classify the selected contact:
Merchant Vessels/Tankers: Typically three or four blades; noisy; often maintains predictable course.
Warships: Typically four or five-bladed propellers; quieter, smoother sound than merchant ships; possibly unpredictable course changes.
Submarines: Five, six or seven-bladed propellers; very quiet when submerged and at low speed; unpredictable course changes.
Fishing Vessels/Trawlers/Pleasure Craft: Three- or four-bladed propellers; noisy; erratic courses and speeds, frequently stopping and starting.
...and if counting balades appear 3 times in text + fragment from mnual it gives nwe player feeling - it is crucial for identification!
Of course it is not.

Quote:
Is this the center point of the whole dispute: a sequence of using sonar stations?
Sure but for new players it is very important.

Wanna next example?
Quote:
If you're driving a sub, WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU IN A KNIFE FIGHT??
You have NO advantages, your platform wasn't even designed for this type of engagement, and the ONLY thing that will save you is Luck. You don't want to count on luck so why not put yourself in a better situation?
Even if we're talking about a sub-v-sub fight, you're still at a disadvantage. Your fire control wasn't designed for this stuff.

THE BEST WAY FOR A SUB TO WIN A KNIFE FIGHT IS SIMPLE, NEVER GET INTO A KNIFE FIGHT.
If you're working a contact closer than 5,000 yards and you aren't in a "track and trail" situation, you're doing something wrong.
In essence, you're minimizing your advantages on purpose.
When you drive Kilo described situation is your only chance for succesful engaging!

Another one:
Quote:
Let's visit our old friend, the Knife Fight.
You're in close to the bad guys. Really, really, close and its turned into a real hairball.

If you're driving a frigate or helo, pat yourself on the back. You're in your best position to kick some A and you have all of the advantages in your favor.
It's just not true. On frigate your arm is Helo. Driving Udaloy or Bergamni you have ASROCs, so better is keeping distanca than going close.

wanna more?
Old 11-03-17, 08:40 AM   #21
Polak2
Weps

Quote:
wanna more?
The answer is definitely YES... I want more information how to be most proficient in DW while it is slowly changing and evolving under RA mod.

I also want good learning tips but I most strongly suggest that this topic maintains friendly and mutually respecting atmosphere and nothing beyond the exchange of tactic tips and ideas.

Again I am well aware (and impressed) how involved enthusiastic and experienced you are in DW its MP aspect and recent changes and modifications introduced by RA.

PS. sorry my laptop lost "comma" after last unfortunate beer spill on the keyboard

Last edited by Polak2; 11-03-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-03-17, 05:22 PM   #22
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

This does bring up a good point.
Do you know how to defeat an overly-aggressive player?
Its very easy and very basic.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 08:31 PM   #23
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

I've played DW almost from beginning and i never met overly-aggressive player.
Old 11-06-17, 07:56 AM   #24
Polak2
Weps

If possible this topic should be continued but perhaps tips should be in separate categories depending on the user platform.
Old 11-06-17, 12:19 PM   #25
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

each person plays differently and each person uses different platforms i personally use the surface units the post is mainly about submarines real world tactics adapted to DW and the guy who is the main poster is some one of knowlege and should be applauded for adding to the community not ridiculed.

Bottom line is DW is a game that's pretty much dieing and has little followers these days any contribution big or small should be made

Its the whole reason i never wrote a manual on FFG operations to update oneshot FFG guide no point to it.