SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-17, 03:26 PM   #1
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default USS Indianapolis (CA 35) located

Not a lot of details yet.
https://www.paulallen.com/wreckage-f...eck-expedition

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 03:28 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Default The wreckage of USS Indianapolis have been found

Quote:
Seventy-two years after two torpedoes fired from a Japanese submarine sunk cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the ship’s wreckage was found resting on the seafloor on Saturday – more than 18,000 feet below the Pacific Ocean’s surface.
https://news.usni.org/2017/08/19/uss...wreckage-found

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 08-19-17 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Trying to erase my thread without any luck
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 05:36 PM   #3
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

This is a story that has been told many times in books and such ... time for a movie about this tragic event. I think it took years before the captain was exonerated. I also remember something about the USS Batfish SS 310 sinking three Japanese subs and one of them was the sub that sank the Indianapolis. I think ...
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:12 PM   #4
bracer
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Nice find by mr. Allen, I hope it brings peace to the relatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
This is a story that has been told many times in books and such ... time for a movie about this tragic event. I think it took years before the captain was exonerated. I also remember something about the USS Batfish SS 310 sinking three Japanese subs and one of them was the sub that sank the Indianapolis. I think ...
There is a movie called USS Indianapolis, with Nicolas Cage, not one that I would recommend though.
bracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 11:25 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Hopefully left to rest as a war grave.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 11:39 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
time for a movie about this tragic event. I think it took years before the captain was exonerated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
There is a movie called USS Indianapolis, with Nicolas Cage, not one that I would recommend though.
There was a TV movie called Mission of the Shark, with Stacy Keach and Richard Thomas. Low budget, and I had a few technical complaints, but overall it wasn't bad. It also includes the Captain's court martial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro
I also remember something about the USS Batfish SS 310 sinking three Japanese subs and one of them was the sub that sank the Indianapolis. I think ...
The Japanese captain who torpedoed Indianapolis spoke at Captain McVay's trial, so his boat wasn't sunk.
Old 08-20-17, 12:00 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

OF some interest: the big clue 7/27/2016; http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2507601
Quote:
More than 70 years after the cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35) was sunk, a new clue discovered by a Navy researcher could give expeditions hunting for the missing ship a better location to look, the service said this week.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 12:13 PM   #8
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
There was a TV movie called Mission of the Shark, with Stacy Keach and Richard Thomas. Low budget, and I had a few technical complaints, but overall it wasn't bad. It also includes the Captain's court martial.

The Japanese captain who torpedoed Indianapolis spoke at Captain McVay's trial, so his boat wasn't sunk.

Good comments. Yes, I-58 survived the war and was surrendered by Capt. Hashimoto. If it was sunk at all it was in a post-WWII training exercise, like they did with some decommissioned UBoats. But Conway's Fighting Ships definitely says I-58 was NOT a wartime loss.

I liked "Mission of the Shark" too. Low budget, but the model of the indy they used was adequate, IIRC. It really showed the chaos of abandoning ship, and the misery of waiting for rescue, in my opinion.

I have been wondering if the bow and stern have both been found? It looks like the bow probably was located.... judging by the picture of the anchor and the pennant number 35. Several accounts say she was blown in two (not in half, but broken off in front of the bow turrets - maybe 20% of the ship). It would be interesting if Ken Marschall or another artist could paint a portrait of the wreckage distribution - he has done excellent ones for Bismarck and Titanic.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 11:01 AM   #9
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Found a new image of the main armament, as it looks today....there is very little marine growth for a wreck this old. You can see one of the turret doors open....very eerie.

Based on the picture of the anchor, this seems to conform both the forward section (with anchor, of course) and aft sections were located. Survivors said that she broke in two forward of the bow turrets, so all three turrets are attached to the aft section.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote