SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-14, 04:26 AM   #1
Captain25
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default How to intercept?

Hello,

I am a newbie to SHIII, i want to intercept ships.
How do i do it? I did already watch the guide on this forum but can still not manage to incercept ships.

thanks in advance
Captain25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 06:38 AM   #2
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

First of all, some transmissions in the game are transmissions that were made historically. There is no guarantee that there will be ships of the type transmitted. You should look for small boxes that show ships around you. Clicking on these boxes will show the approximate course, speed, and time that the sighting was made.

Second, your job is to find and sink merchant ships not two destroyers. Avoid destroyers.

Third, the destroyers in question are several days from your position. Look for something a little closer.

Finally, assuming that you find a merchant ship in an adjacent zone and want to calculate an intercept course use the procedure at http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88961
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 06:58 AM   #3
Captain25
Swabbie

Downloads: 18

Hello, thanks i finally managed to find a convoy.
But now i am following this tutorial to calculate a interception course.

At step 5 at the moment but i am stuck at this point. Can someone please help me out.

Captain25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 08:44 AM   #4
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80

This thread has all the info you need to plot an intercept. Good Hunting !!!
Salute !!
AD

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=198953
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 09:40 AM   #5
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Hi Captain25!

It's really easy. Your picture makes it easy to describe.

As you can see, you have a contact, and you know it's approximate course and exact speed. With radio contacts for convoys they give you the exact speed. Of course they can change speed, but go with what you know.

As you have done, you have set a waypoint out in front of the convoy.

See the time stamp next to the waypoint? That is how long it will take you to get there. In your cast, 6 hours 30 minutes. Make sure you go to flank speed and make sure your speed and heading have stabilized to get an accurate time.

Now look over to the right-hand side of the map. See those vertical scales? That is a nomometer. It makes it easy to see how far the convoy will go in a fixed amount of time at a certain speed.

If you know the convoy is going, say, 8 knots, then use the line tool to draw a line from the left-most scale at the 8 mark, down to the time in minutes to your waypoint on the right-most scale. Your time in minutes is 390 minutes.

But the scale only goes to 200 minutes you say?

OK, let's call your current intercept 400 minutes. Cut that in half, use 200 minutes. So draw a line from 8 knots on the left scale to 200 on the right scale. Where the line crosses the middle scale will give you the number of km the convoy will move. Let's say it's 60 km. Since you halved the time to fit the scale, you will need to double the distance, so the convoy will move 120 km.

Now draw a circle around the convoy that is 120 km in radius. This will give you an estimate of how far the convoy can move.

Now adjust your waypoint to be along the target heading, about 10-15 km beyond the circle. The idea is to intercept before they get there so that you can submerge and sneak into an ideal attack position. Unless you are choosing a surface attack, but you still want to get there ahead of time to get ready.

That's it. You can adjust your waypoint position and the circle diameter as needed.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 10:34 AM   #6
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

It's helpful (well, for me) to remember that 8 knots is about the same land speed as 15 km/hr. I just measure off the 15 km marks and I get a good idea of where they should end up, and where I should get to, if I want to cause problems.
When I first started playing, I was not used to distances and speeds like the ones used in the game, and invariably, I would always plot a course to the spot indicated, only to find empty ocean. Or, at best, the trailing end of the convoy as their masts moved out of sight below the horizon.
After enough time, I have a pretty good idea of how the AI works and the historical perspectives behind the genre that once I make contact, I rarely lose it. And I almost always can plot a course that leads to a favorable firing solution. This game is more fun than it should be.
Old 07-12-14, 10:40 AM   #7
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

Welcome Capt to the forum
Old 07-12-14, 10:50 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Aboard

Captain25!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 02:09 PM   #9
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 56

Ahoy shipmate,

I use the following video by Tailmange as a guide to interception.

Skip to about 12:00 and watch for a few minutes. I've used the same method he did to great success many times

Sink'em!
Nukesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 02:57 PM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

You multiplied your speed and his speed by 10. So the circle is now 170 km for your 17knots intercept speed. This won't work because you are too close. You have to extend the line between you and the target to beyond your position behind you to make it work at these proportions. The circle will intersect the line on the extension behind you. But instead it is easier and more foolproof to make your drawing on a 1 km to 1 knot basis.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:14 AM   #11
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
You multiplied your speed and his speed by 10. So the circle is now 170 km for your 17knots intercept speed. This won't work because you are too close. You have to extend the line between you and the target to beyond your position behind you to make it work at these proportions. The circle will intersect the line on the extension behind you. But instead it is easier and more foolproof to make your drawing on a 1 km to 1 knot basis.
Exactly this. I always used to have this problem in the past. I'd keep getting bad solutions and wondering if there was just an arrangement of ship to contact that made it not work properly, then I realized the stupid meat bag behind the keyboard was the problem.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 10:05 AM   #12
Pistoliero
Seaman

Downloads: 8

Are there any benefits to using so complex intercept algorithm?
Ruler and knots to km/h transfer sheet (seite 1) work just fine for me.
All you need in this case is to draw target course vector and find (on this vector) a point, to which your u-boat will arrive before the target will.
Pistoliero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 10:42 AM   #13
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Quote:
]Are there any benefits to using so complex intercept algorithm?
I just use the nomometer on the right-hand side of the screen.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 11:05 AM   #14
Pistoliero
Seaman

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
I just use the nomometer on the right-hand side of the screen.

Steve
Actually quite awesome tool. I didn't know it is functional before this thread - thought that it is purely decorative.
Thanks!
Pistoliero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 01:30 PM   #15
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

When you master the regular interception and use GWX or NYGM, you can use this to make an interception more challenging:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3306

Now the speed and course are no longer exact and you have to guess more.

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote