SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-15, 02:05 PM   #31
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
Is that "Hitler wanna be" on the dock flipping you off?!?!?

No, that's his index (first) finger that's raised. We had a debate at the officers club last night. What it was about is not important. The fact that I won is. Like any good loser he's at the dock as we pull out, still trying to make one more point to someone who can't even hear him and hasn't noticed he's there because I'm too busy getting one last look at the pretty nurses.
Old 01-04-15, 05:03 PM   #32
ninja turtle
Frogman

Downloads: 249
Uploads: 0

Ahoy Sailor Steve

I've just finished reading this thread and wanted to mention how pleased I am that you are finally back at sea with SH3. I joined subsim only 2 years ago and during that time I have read many many helpful replies you have posted to topics; be they SH3, 4, or 5 without any prejudice of which version and with a fountain of knowledge.

I was always quite saddened that you were without a suitable pc. This thread brought a smile to my face.

Happy hunting!

ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 06:59 PM   #33
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Ah, the joys of trying to configure things the way you want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Do consider the effort of installing this compass by Leitender. It's the next step up from Hitman's excellent compass.
I installed it, and it's beautiful! The inner ring even turns once every ten degrees, just like it's supposed to.

But...

Quote:
It does demand menu work, but it is worth the trouble and more.
Boy, you ain't just whistlin' Dixie! I was busy admiring it, then looked around. The little grey box with the Time functions in it were gone again. So were the other dials! I looked at the menu.ini and discovered the new mod had overwritten the entire thing! I tried and tried to fix it, and when I loaded up the game I ended up with about 100 "Menu item not found" messages!

Nobody's fault, but I realize I'm going to have to set the original Menu.ini, my own (so far) and the one from Leitender's Compass side by side and compare them all, then make my own and fiddle with it until it works. When I have a working game I'll then create my own Dials and Menu folders with their own so the next time I have to start from scratch I'll have that section already set up the way I want it. I've already done that with the Commands.cfg file more than once.

I'd forgotten how much fun this is.
Old 01-04-15, 08:00 PM   #34
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Steve, two tools that can help: WinMerge and h.sie's renumbering tool for menu_1024_768.ini.

Also make sure that the item id's in dials.cfg and menu.ini match up.

As to sublynx's comment: Word.

PM if there's any way I can help.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 08:08 PM   #35
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I always open all the different versions and compare them side by side. Sooner or later I get there.
Old 01-04-15, 08:21 PM   #36
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
WinMerge
Okay, that is very cool! I've been so used to doing it by myself I never realized there was a tool that made it so obvious.

Quote:
and h.sie's renumbering tool for menu_1024_768.ini.
I've looked at that before and for some reason I've never trusted it. It can't hurt to give it a shot on a spare file.

Quote:
Also make sure that the item id's in dials.cfg and menu.ini match up.
Some advice I'll have to heed.

I think I'm going to be starting over from scratch. It will actually be easier that way.
Old 01-04-15, 09:33 PM   #37
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

I've looked at that before and for some reason I've never trusted it. It can't hurt to give it a shot on a spare file.

It works. h.sie does nice work. Sanitary.
Old 01-05-15, 01:41 AM   #38
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

WinMerge and h.sie's renumbering tool will make your task easier. Try adding Leitender's compass as the last thing on your mod list - and keep in mind that if you later add any mod that changes menu1024_768 it takes Leitender's compass off.

I wish Stiebler would add the compass to NYGM. That would save me a lot of work every time I have to build the system again...

The damn compass is such a beauty. It's like a high maintenance woman. You can't live without her, but keeping her happy is a hell on earth.
Old 01-05-15, 02:21 AM   #39
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I have several mods that change the Menu.ini and the Commands.cfg. I long ago got into the habit of comparing both files with every mod I wanted to install. Once I had it set up exactly the way I wanted I would make a copy of the final version of each. If I had to reinstall everything I would just add all the relevant visual files and then put a copy of the two big files back into the game.

Earlier I tore out the whole version I was working on and used Multi-SH3 to start over. Rather than add any mods I played the 'Happy Times' single mission. It's been a long time since I've actually attacked anything, and it was fun.
Old 01-05-15, 05:03 AM   #40
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Re-installed GWX and played 'Happy Times' again. I need the practice.
Old 01-07-15, 01:42 PM   #41
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Last night I installed GWX 3 Wilhelmshafe,St Nas, Schluese and xtra ships v7. First I checked for changes to the Menu.ini. It doesn't even have a Menu folder, so that's not a problem. Once it was installed I tried to play a mission with it. Crash! I've done some checking but can't figure out what the problem is. My alternative is to use v6 and add the LSH3 bridges that BigBoyWooly added in just for me. I would prefer the changes made to Kiel that come with v7, but I can live with the other option.
Old 01-07-15, 02:00 PM   #42
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Last night I installed GWX 3 Wilhelmshafe,St Nas, Schluese and xtra ships v7. First I checked for changes to the Menu.ini. It doesn't even have a Menu folder, so that's not a problem. Once it was installed I tried to play a mission with it. Crash! I've done some checking but can't figure out what the problem is. My alternative is to use v6 and add the LSH3 bridges that BigBoyWooly added in just for me. I would prefer the changes made to Kiel that come with v7, but I can live with the other option.
Steve, do you have some version of 4GB patch installed? You might need it for the fancy graphics of Wilhelms....

I have successfully run GWX with that mod on my machine, and it has a lower performance GPU than yours, so I'm pretty sure your hardware can handle it. I don't have GWX3 installed any more, so I can't quickly do any testing. But hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction.
Old 01-07-15, 02:32 PM   #43
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

If I'm not mistaken ( tho I usually am ), I think Steve has the 4bg installed via SH3 Front End.

I'm only just reinstalling an OS on a new SSD else I'd check, but if it helps I do have v.7 way up near the top of my mod list. I f you can wait Steve I hope to have this bugger at least up by tomorrow, twaked updated and SH3 up and running. I can post my JSGME list then.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

P.S

I know it kinda seems wierd I post this after posting a plea for help. Believe me it do work tho.
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 04:30 PM   #44
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Steve, do you have some version of 4GB patch installed? You might need it for the fancy graphics of Wilhelms....
Not at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
If I'm not mistaken ( tho I usually am ), I think Steve has the 4bg installed via SH3 Front End.
I did, but it has to be activated after the h.sie patch, and I deactivated that because somebody told me activate it last.

But seriously, I was wondering if it might be that. I'll have to turn it back on to test the Schleuse v7 that way.

Quote:
I'm only just reinstalling an OS on a new SSD else I'd check, but if it helps I do have v.7 way up near the top of my mod list. I f you can wait Steve I hope to have this bugger at least up by tomorrow, twaked updated and SH3 up and running. I can post my JSGME list then.
Since I wanted to have it up and running by New Years, and that obviously is not going to happen, I suppose one more day won't hurt. It's going to take a lot longer than that to get everything else installed anyway.

I adhere to the "I'll get there when I get there" philosophy anyway.
Old 01-07-15, 05:03 PM   #45
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Nope. Made sure the 4-Gig patch was activated and reloaded Schleuse v7. Still crashed. I'll look into it more later. Today I have a model to finish.