Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-27-13, 11:19 AM   #16
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I want the Warthog HOTAS!!! You're lucky.

They also make a special chair for it.
Well that's his family sold now, well done.
Old 05-27-13, 11:44 AM   #17
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

Don't get me any deeper in hock . Just realised, after ordering the 'stick, that it doesn't double as rudder function as well. Does the A-10C allow auto rudder as an option or shall I need to buy seperate pedals? And, if so, are there any to be recommended? I have looked at the Saitek Combat jobbies in the past. To be honest, I'd rather be without pedals at this moment as I'm gonna be struggling space-wise. But, if needs must............
BilboSmeggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-13, 11:46 AM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboSmeggins View Post
As regards Falcon 4, I've actually got the boxed retail version upstairs with the giant manual etc. I had heard that it had been heavily updated and was now a joy to behold. Thing is I'm not all that fussed about learning a highly complex jet sim. I remember it being a huge learning curve back in it's day. I'm quite a bit older now and my capacity for learning/patience has depreciated accordingly . I may try to get it working/patched though just for the sake of curiosity .
The learning curve is even steeper and longer now, since so much system stuff was added and refined. It definitely is a study sim, and it adds several manuals more to the sim. But I find it more accessible than the DCS A-10, or DCS-Blackshark. It also is much more atmospheric. When flying in campaign, you are up and out there with dozens and hundreds of units around you, meeting formations returning home, getting crossed by others who head for their targets. and when I say dozens and hundreds, I mean it. No other sim gives you such an intense feeling of being just a tiny little piece in a very huge campaign going on LIVE all around you. This is what apparently will set Falcon apart from all other sims, forever.

Quote:
Skybird........... Good to find you still stalking these forums .
Don'T say it too loud, in GT many people are cursing when they see me raising over the horizon these days.

Quote:
You still flying Condor? I so loved the flight-modelling in that sim. Don't think I found anything else that came close. Just a shame that it aged like it did. Haven't visited their forum for a long time. Last I checked people were getting fed up waiting for Condor 2 to materialise. Might have to blow the dust off the old girl and have another ridge-soaring session
No, no Condoring for me anymore, I spend almost all civilian flying now on the PMDG Boeing-737NGX (as Herr Berbunch for some reason has not yet pointed out again ) Last thing I tried with Condor was the release of the (very good) ALPI-3 photo scenery. But soon after that I started to lose interest in Condor.
Old 05-27-13, 11:51 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboSmeggins View Post
Don't get me any deeper in hock . Just realised, after ordering the 'stick, that it doesn't double as rudder function as well. Does the A-10C allow auto rudder as an option or shall I need to buy seperate pedals? And, if so, are there any to be recommended? I have looked at the Saitek Combat jobbies in the past. To be honest, I'd rather be without pedals at this moment as I'm gonna be struggling space-wise. But, if needs must............
Consider the Simped Vario Pro, which seem to be relatively unknown outside Germany (what they do not deserve). I have them since 13 years, very good quality and comfortably wide foot-spacing.

http://www.flugsimulator.de/hse/simped.htm

They are precise and robust.

I have the Vario Pro a bit down that site, for 170 Euros. But if you want to spend almost twice as much - they also have the needed arguments to convince you of that, as you can see.
Old 05-27-13, 11:56 AM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Oh damn, I just found out that the German guy went out of business for private, financial and request-related reasons just months ago. Sorry. those pedals where the best in their price range. Beat Saitek and CH hands down. Maybe you can find good used ones. But I doubt it - if you have them, you don't give them away again.
Old 05-27-13, 12:02 PM   #21
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Oh damn, I just found out that the German guy went out of business for private, financial and request-related reasons just months ago. Sorry. those pedals where the best in their price range. Beat Saitek and CH hands down. Maybe you can find good used ones. But I doubt it - if you have them, you don't give them away again.

Sounds like you gotta hang onto them. Any idea as to whether or not I shall need pedals with the Warthog? Incidentally, you just got me checking out Falcon 4 vids on youtube. Looking kind of awesome I must say.
Old 05-27-13, 12:18 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

How to land in a crosswind without pedals? Or trim the nose slightly left and right when aiming?

Yes, I think pedals in flying are a must.

TrackIR is also. Trying it once turns everybody into a fanatic believer. Handling complex and clickable virtual cockpits like in FSX or the DCS A-10 or the BMS Falcon, is a pain.

I say again: a P-A-I-N.
Old 05-27-13, 12:49 PM   #23
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

I know the reasoning behind pedals, just didn't know if there was an auto-rudder feature in DCS. Until now, I've always used the twist rudder feature on my SW2 FFB. But just realised that there is no "twist" on the HOTAS setup. I already have a TrackIR unit. Just need to blow the dust off it and plug it in
Old 05-27-13, 01:18 PM   #24
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
You could just map rudder functions either to keys or buttons (depending on what they're used for, obviously). Without looking through myriad paperwork they may already be assigned. It's not the most beautiful action but it'd work.

Didn't I mention that Sky likes his PMDG 737NGX?

Also, I've fixed the following -

Quote:
Don't say it too loud, in GT many people are cursing when they see me raising walls of text these days
Old 05-27-13, 04:27 PM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Didn't I mention that Sky likes his PMDG 737NGX?
No, so far you haven't. We're still waiting. How else should he ever know? The poor lad doesn't know, just because you have turned lazy.

Completely your own fault, really.
Old 06-03-13, 08:16 AM   #26
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

I've always been partial to the old Janes F-15, and their FA/18. I even went to eBay and found a "retro" desktop that will run Windows 3.1 and Win 97. Just don't have time to set up again and relearn, but wait until next year!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote