Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-19, 05:23 PM   #1
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Silencing the Navigator on Startup

I would like to know how I can silence the "Navigator: Calculated position is..." report when I start up SH5 (TWos)?

I have scoured the OFE/V program without success. I don't trust myself to dive into any of the cfg files, etc. Any ideas?
Old 03-16-19, 05:50 PM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker View Post
I would like to know how I can silence the "Navigator: Calculated position is..." report when I start up SH5 (TWos)?

I have scoured the OFE/V program without success. I don't trust myself to dive into any of the cfg files, etc. Any ideas?
I'm afraid that you can't. That first, initial fix when you load the mission or a gamesave has to be done. After that you're on your own. That's how Real Navigation is implemented.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 01:38 AM   #3
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I'm afraid that you can't. That first, initial fix when you load the mission or a gamesave has to be done. After that you're on your own. That's how Real Navigation is implemented.

In that case I will figure out how long to hold my hand over the lower-right corner of the screen to block out the information from view. Is there a way to make SH5 post the LAT/LON instantly followed by a small flood of the dialog with other data to push the LAT/LON up and out of view?

I hope this makes sense?
Old 03-17-19, 02:07 AM   #4
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 0

Quote:
In that case I will figure out how long to hold my hand over the lower-right corner of the screen to block out the information from view. Is there a way to make SH5 post the LAT/LON instantly followed by a small flood of the dialog with other data to push the LAT/LON up and out of view?

I hope this makes sense?
do u mean when u ask for position the fix to be instantly on the map ???
to not take that 20 min...till the fix appear on the map ?
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 04:47 AM   #5
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Is there a way to make SH5 post the LAT/LON instantly followed by a small flood of the dialog with other data to push the LAT/LON up and out of view?
Sure. Hit keys 1-2-3-4-5 several times, engine crew will think you went crazy but this will push the fix out of view all right

BTW I would also love to disable that first fix - if I had completely wrong idea about my position when saving the game, it feels wrong to be immediately corrected on reload. I'd like to keep my ignorance intact...
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 04:52 AM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Sure. Hit keys 1-2-3-4-5 several times, engine crew will think you went crazy but this will push the fix out of view all right

BTW I would also love to disable that first fix - if I had completely wrong idea about my position when saving the game, it feels wrong to be immediately corrected on reload. I'd like to keep my ignorance intact...
But again, initial navigation mark/fix on our nav map will still be visible. It can not be removed...
Old 03-17-19, 04:59 AM   #7
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
But again, initial navigation mark/fix on our nav map will still be visible. It can not be removed...
I know. Personally, I just hit X to delete it and try my best to forget where it was.
Old 03-17-19, 05:03 AM   #8
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I know. Personally, I just hit X to delete it and try my best to forget where it was.
It can not be deleted, that is the problem...
Old 03-17-19, 12:42 PM   #9
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

Hmmm.... I tried this, but it did not work for me. I wonder if I changed a setting in OFE/V?

But, I have discovered I can make it disappear manually and quell the Navigator (YMMV)...
  1. Open SH5.
  2. Start/restart scenario and immediately place a hand, envelope, piece a paper, etc. over the lower-right area of the screen to hide the command log readout.
  3. Wait for all the initial alerts/commands to be ordered and the Navigator posts his "Calculated position," etc.
  4. Press 1-2-3-4-5-` (the grave accent key just left of the "1" key) to "cleanse" the readout and wait to hear "Machine schtopp." As I am only a mono-lingual, native English speaker I cannot understand German for the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, commands, but I can understand "Machine schtopp."
  5. Remove your hand, envelope, etc.
  6. At this point I am on the submarine and things are stable. Next I will prepare the map for initial use.
  7. Again use your hand, envelope, etc. to cover the screen area where you think is your location and click on the "ship's wheel" to open the map. Hopefully, I am hiding the initial "N1C" position mark on the map.
  8. Click the "Configure Nav Map Features" button (leftmost button in upper-left area). The dialog will cover the center 1/3 of the map and you can remove your hand, etc.
  9. Click to uncheck the first box,"Display navigation fixes." At this point, the "N1C" mark has been removed. There are numerous other options which you may or may not want to have enabled. I choose based on reality, e.g, I leave the "Minefields," "Shallow waters" and "resupply ships" checked because I would expect the efficiency of the High Command to have gathered and disseminated the intelligence on these items to the fleet on pre-patrol updated charts or via Enigma as necessary.
  10. Click the "Configure Nav Map Features" button again to hide the dialog and reveal a clean map, free of the Navigator's stubborn efforts.
  11. Enjoy your sailing.

Now, I have good news and bad news. Maybe someone here can help me with the bad news? Bad News first...

Bad News
I cannot figure out how to perpetuate my map markings from one session to the next? This is not realistic as it would be essential to any captain's efforts and plans to keep necessary details defined on the map. I really hope there is a "fix" for this as this would be a reason for me not to use the map and great features provided in SH5 and TWoS. If I cannot make the map keep all my map markups from session to session then I would have to abandon it completely in favor of using an external nautical charting tool. The only other option would be to never close SH5, but I guess in one sense this would enhance reality, especially if you are like me and never use TC. Even captains have to sleep sometime.

Good News
The above step-by-step process can be automated via a macro application and I can use it if I can resolve the "Bad News." Essentially, anything you can do with a mouse can be automated via a macro. I already use a macro program for other repetitive functions on my laptop and can easily adapt it to SH5, but I won't use any more thread area to explain unless requested. This post is already long enough. LOL
Old 03-17-19, 01:40 PM   #10
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I cannot figure out how to perpetuate my map markings from one session to the next? This is not realistic as it would be essential to any captain's efforts and plans to keep necessary details defined on the map. I really hope there is a "fix" for this as this would be a reason for me not to use the map and great features provided in SH5 and TWoS.
You can keep supermarks and navigation fixes. No way to keep drawn lines,circles etc though.
Old 03-17-19, 01:50 PM   #11
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
It can not be deleted, that is the problem...
It worked for me because I was using Continue Campaign option instead of loading game and then loading journal while in game. If you do it this way, old navigation fixes from journal get loaded before navigator adds a new one, so the "new" automatic fix from your navigator is not the first one and can be deleted.
Old 03-17-19, 09:37 PM   #12
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi kapuhy - Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 03-18-19, 12:36 AM   #13
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

there is only 1 way to not have marks on the map and no coordinate reports in chat..to use the hardcore real navigation...
but there will be no more navigation mark on the map at all.... the navigator will have only celestial position report and will report only when u ask him.... but will not mark your position on the map... also there will be no dead recognition at all u need to do it for yourself

Edit: take a look at this video

Last edited by Sjizzle; 03-18-19 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-18-19, 11:45 AM   #14
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
there is only 1 way to not have marks on the map and no coordinate reports in chat..to use the hardcore real navigation...
but there will be no more navigation mark on the map at all.... the navigator will have only celestial position report and will report only when u ask him.... but will not mark your position on the map... also there will be no dead recognition at all u need to do it for yourself

Edit: take a look at this video

Thanks for the video. Actually, what you describe is exactly what I am looking for except I am a captain who has bad navigator who really does not know what he is doing, so I sent him to peel potatoes. I, as the captain have to handle all the sextant shots, DR and map plotting. Ha! when I first handed him the sextant he held it upside down! How did he ever pass navigation school.
Old 03-18-19, 11:51 AM   #15
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Quote:
Thanks for the video. Actually, what you describe is exactly what I am looking for except I am a captain who has bad navigator who really does not know what he is doing, so I sent him to peel potatoes. I, as the captain have to handle all the sextant shots, DR and map plotting. Ha! when I first handed him the sextant he held it upside down. How did he ever pass navigation school.
so the solution is simple delete from "TWoS Real Navigation" the Real_navigation.txt file and reload the mod in the JSGME
and disable from option file viewer at the real navigation tab
Navigation show position on the map after calculate current position....