SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-19, 06:40 AM   #1201
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi steevo
When you complete the STEAM conversion to your new location make sure your SH3.exe is set as an administrator.
Do not download in to your "SilentHunter3" folder as this will be your main game folder.
You should be able to download LSH3-2015 to any folder of your choosing I would suggest a new folder., let's call it for instance "LS3 Download"

This folder is only the download folder for the LSH3-2015 zip file.
When downloaded go to properties and make sure it is not showing "read only" ticked.
When you open the zip file and select "Extract" it will want to extract to the "LSH3 Download" folder which is what you want.
You will now see all the related files for the game.
Clicking on the application you should be able to browse to where your game folder is which for you is "SilentHunter3" it is at this point it should show a valid SH3.exe.
If you still have a problem you can check this out by starting the game SH3.exe.
If the game loads to the menu exit to the desktop and you know you have a working game.
If it does not then your STEAM conversion is at fault.
Check this out:
How To Move STEAM From The Program Files (x86) Directory To A New Folder By propbeanie > STEAM User Information

Post #7 Steam Conversion SH4 Installation Instructions > STEAM user Information

Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 11:52 AM   #1202
steevo45
A-ganger

Downloads: 483
Default Installing LSH3 in Steam

I am grateful for the lengths you have gone in trying to explain all this but am a bit lost! Is 'steam conversion'something I have to do before following the original instructions? I can't quite follow the steps necessary here. Do I access the exe file within steam and do what you suggested?
Thanks
steevo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:10 PM   #1203
THEBERBSTER

Hi steevo

Quote:
Is 'steam conversion'something I have to do before following the original instructions?

Yes unfortunately LSH3-2015 is not compatible with STEAM.

Check this out:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/15210...3054115162040/

Peter

Old 01-21-19, 08:14 AM   #1204
steevo45
A-ganger

Thanks,
Not giving up on this just yet. You say you can download LHS to a separate place before extracting to the new separate place but that seems to be the problem as it won't do that, but needs to find 'extracted package'. If you have instructions on how to make the folder change within steam first that would help and give me a fighting chance of seeing this through maybe!If all fails will just have to re-purchase the DVD!
Cheers
Old 01-21-19, 03:48 PM   #1205
THEBERBSTER

Steevo
Acccording to the Steam Forum it worked for these 2 guys.

Question
Quote:
does anybody know how to install the living silent hunter 2015 mod onto the steam version of silent hunter 3? I got an error message saying that the version is installed 'in a wrong place'. seems that the lsh modders does not support the steam version. is that right ? is there a known work around ?

Quote:
This is how i did it...
Go to your steam game library folder (../steam/steamapps/common/), and rename the sh3 folder to something with no spaces, e.g. Silent Hunter 3 -> SilentHunter3. Then install LSH3, it will install fine. After you installed LSH, you can safely rename your sh3 folder back to its original name. LSH3 will continue to work fine.

Comment after following the instructions.
Quote:
yes! I had not only to rename the folder into something without spaces but to move the silenthunter3 folder to another place because the path also must not contain spaces. After that the LSH3 installed just fine and I could rename the folder and had it moved back to its original place in the steam subfolders.

Peter

Old 01-21-19, 04:47 PM   #1206
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I've got it running on a Steam install also, easy-peasy (sort of), though I do not recall the details completely. You cannot have the game installed under the Program Files (x86) folder though, so if your Steam Library is under the Steam install (the default), you'll have to move that. In other words, Steam will default to "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam", and the Library and SH3 will then be "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter 3\". I moved my Steam Library (Steam stays where it is, just move the Library) into "C:\Games\", so that I now have "C:\Games \Steam \common \Silent Hunter 3\". After that, then change that folder name to SilentHunter3, and do the LSH install, pointing it at the new Library folder of SH3. Another thing about the Steam game is that it is the "latest" or most recent version of SH3 v1.4b of the executable file (v1.4.1.1??). If you need more help with it, let me know. I've had to put a new hard drive in the laptop I'm on here, and I'll have to re-install my whole Steam outfit, and the games... sigh... Anyway, if you do, start a new thread and we'll leave a trail for others to follow (hopefully, not down to the pea patch)...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 02:58 AM   #1207
steevo45
A-ganger

Thank you both for your patience for a real novice at this!
I think I understand now that I have to go into steam and from settings go to the steam library folder and create new pathway (add a new Library Folder) as you've both explained such a C/Games..... Is that a new folder just for SH3 or for all the games in the library? After doing that and changing to SilentHunter3 (no spaces) I can point the installer to it and it will download.
I hope I'm finally right on this and have not left anything out!
Many thanks to you both again.
Old 01-22-19, 05:14 AM   #1208
THEBERBSTER

Hi pb
Good precise advice and information as always.

You are the STEAM king and I know nothing about it to be a be able to give any help on this when it comes up on the forum.

Peter
Old 01-22-19, 11:52 AM   #1209
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo45 View Post
Thank you both for your patience for a real novice at this!
I think I understand now that I have to go into steam and from settings go to the steam library folder and create new pathway (add a new Library Folder) as you've both explained such a C/Games..... Is that a new folder just for SH3 or for all the games in the library? After doing that and changing to SilentHunter3 (no spaces) I can point the installer to it and it will download.
I hope I'm finally right on this and have not left anything out!
Many thanks to you both again.
If you have multiple "Primary" partitions and / or hard drives (~NOT~ a hidden backup partition on a laptop), you can use the Steam Library to create a new install location for any game you want. Most other games that conform to the Windows UAC interface (Windows Vista onward) should be fine in the Program Files directories. However, the Silent Hunter 3 & 4 games are older games, written for earlier versions of Windows, and they cannot be under the Program Files folders if you want to mod, so those are the only ones you have to move. If you only have a "C:\" drive in your computer, like my laptop, then you'll have to do the manual move, as they document on the Steam Support post linked to by THEBERBSTER. In which case, all of your games will have to make the move at the same time, since you are only allowed one Library folder per drive. I don't know why they only allow one Library per drive, but there it is... Moving the games by hand takes a while for things to copy. Probably about as long as it takes to install them all... - however, you don't lose your configurations with the move (supposedly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi pb
Good precise advice and information as always.

You are the STEAM king and I know nothing about it to be a be able to give any help on this when it comes up on the forum.

Peter
I really appreciate that THEBERBSTER! Steam really isn't that much more different that the disk version, other than you have to jump through different hoops, and sometimes start the game through the Steam interface. There are certain of the "commander" type interfaces that don't seem to take well, most likely due to the Steam "security". I'm shooting about 50% trying to use them, and trying to figure out why I got the LSH commander seemingly working, but not the GWX. Commander runs in both, it's just that in GWX, Steam seems to put things back the way it wants, not the way I want... - might have more later.

Old 01-23-19, 12:18 PM   #1210
steevo45
A-ganger

Continued thanks for your advice,
Haven't given up just yet but a little nervous of doing something wrong and screwing things up! I think I have to cut the whole steam folder from program files and transplant to C/Games and then try to create another folder within steam for that destination. I just need to know the precise steps involved so as not to hit a brick wall.
Cheers
Old 01-23-19, 02:41 PM   #1211
propbeanie

That's what THEBERBSTER linked to on the previous page.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...hp?p_faqid=231

About halfway down is the Steam method for doing it by hand if you only have one hard drive or partition. If you have a 2nd Windows hard drive or partition (NOT a system backup partition), then you can use the Steam app on your computer - not the online stuff - "Start - All Programs - Steam - Steam", and log into it (of course, it goes online... ). Once logged-in, get to the "Settings" dialog, either by "View" or the "Steam" menu choices. In the left pane of that window, click on "Downloads", then on the "Steam Library Folders" button up towards the top under "Current Libraries". That pops up another little dialog, and on it, you can click on "Add Library Folder" in the lower left corner. This will also open its own little dialog window, for the fourth one now (I may have lost count). Drill to where you want your folder, click on the "New Folder..." button, and - wonder of wonders - it will open another dialog window for you to type your folder name, and then click "OK". I think you have to click on "Select" on the fourth window now, to select that Library folder to use for installing... but you might be able to find it buried (about as deeply as this) somewhere in the install menus... You do have to re-install the game to use that new folder though. When I did the move-by-hand on my laptop, I removed most of the games that were in it prior to moving, so it wouldn't take as long, but it still took like four hours to do it... Read that Steam thread, and then read it again. Get it in your head about how you will proceed before you go to do the move, which ever way you do it.

Old 01-24-19, 06:27 AM   #1212
steevo45
A-ganger

Hi yet again!
I moved the entire steam location to program files to C/Games as you said but in trying to create another steam library folder it seems it will not let me cos as you mentioned you can only have 1 library folder per drive. It will not let me delete the C/program files steam folder either to replace it with the C/Games one I want to create. I am now trying to move the whole steam install over to the D drive instead and then create a steam library folder for that drive.
Let's see if that works although as it's a recovery drive it might not/will not be big enough.
Old 01-24-19, 08:43 AM   #1213
propbeanie

Don't use the recovery drive, it will not be compatible for a program of any sort to start in. Describe in as much detail as you can, what you've done thus far please.

Old 01-25-19, 02:00 AM   #1214
steevo45
A-ganger

Hi,
Basically done the following
1. Copied and pasted steam from C/program files to C/Games
2. Uninstalled most games from steam as you suggested to reduce transfer time before doing above.
3. Went into steam (via desktop icon) and then....
4. Settings-downloads-New Library Folders-add library folder. I then went to C/Games/Steam and clicked select but it tells 'Selected drive already has a steam folder'
If I click on New Folder it says 'Choose Directory Name' but at this point I don't know what the next step would be....sorry!

Thanks for your continued patience in trying to help me in my fumbling efforts to do this!
Steve
Old 01-25-19, 02:33 AM   #1215
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo45 View Post
Hi,
Basically done the following
1. Copied and pasted steam from C/program files to C/Games
2. Uninstalled most games from steam as you suggested to reduce transfer time before doing above.
3. Went into steam (via desktop icon) and then....
4. Settings-downloads-New Library Folders-add library folder. I then went to C/Games/Steam and clicked select but it tells 'Selected drive already has a steam folder'
If I click on New Folder it says 'Choose Directory Name' but at this point I don't know what the next step would be....sorry!

Thanks for your continued patience in trying to help me in my fumbling efforts to do this!
Steve
1) Exit the Steam client application.
Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).
2) Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdata folders and Steam.exe
3) Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
4) Launch Steam and log into your account.
Steam will briefly updated then you will be logged into your account. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play.
IMPORTANT this step :
2) Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdata folders and Steam.exe
Maybe you not delete some file before

Last edited by hauangua; 01-25-19 at 02:53 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote