SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-18, 11:19 PM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default SH3 Commander (3.2): Can you start career at exact date?

Sorry if this has been asked, I used the Search but didn't find my case, so here my question:

I'm playing SH3 + WAC5 and would like to start career so I can leave bunker at exactly May 16 1941.
When creating a new captain in SH3C, you can only set month/year and you will leave port at the 1st of any month.
Also the option "Set days in bunker" seems to only work when returning from a patrol, not when you leave port for the first time.

Now I could simply start my career and return to port, but this will likely cost me renown points for not sinking any ship...

Is there a good solution? I could mess with the savegames directly (playersettings.cfg and the *.psc file in the Carrers folder, but I'm not sure that it doesn't corrupt the savegame).

Thanks,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 01:11 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

At the start of every new career I do a quick trip around the harbor on August 1, 1939. When I'm done I set 'Days In Base' to 18, which makes my first "real" patrol start on the 19th, the day the first boats were sent into the Atlantic to await the start of the war. After that I reset it to Random.

As far as I'm aware that's the only way to get an exact start date. You'll have to start on May 1, 1941, then quit the patrol and set 'Days In Base' for 15. You end up with your first real patrol being listed as your second, but I don't know any other way to do it.
Old 07-06-18, 05:44 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
At the start of every new career I do a quick trip around the harbor on August 1, 1939.

Oh, I forgot that WAC is starting just before the war actually begins, and it's a training mission according to the doc. That's exactly what I need...So I can leave port, do the training and return. I will save outside the port and then make the settings in the SH3C before re-entering bunker using the 'Set Days in Bunker'.

Thanks very much to refresh my memory

My question is somewhat shocking because recently I had another thread in which I have proposed to change the savegame, (it was a problem with SH3 + GWX), but I realise now that I haven't warned to make a BACKUP before trying ... I hope I'll find the thread again so I can edit my response.

Thanks and cheers!
Old 07-06-18, 07:33 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
So I can leave port, do the training and return. I will save outside the port and then make the settings in the SH3C before re-entering bunker using the 'Set Days in Bunker'
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure you have to set Days In Base between patrols. It may be before you start the patrol or after you finish it, but I don't think it works if you try to do it during the patrol.
Old 07-07-18, 03:34 AM   #5
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0

Only way I know without "zero" patrol is to sail some 50-100km from harbour, order dead stop and tc until desired date. You can edit career files after patrol.
Old 07-07-18, 09:17 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I have done as explained by Sailor Steve in his first response and it works.

I start at May 1st 1941 with a VIIC from Kiel, I leave patrol immediately chosing 'Return to Kiel'. I then set 'Days in Bunker' to 15 and my next patrol starts as I wish at May 16.

My renown points will not change, the patrol log simply shows '0' numbers for any entry and I still have 500 renown points (if you skip Naval Academy missions at career start), so I assume I'm NOT penalized by interrupting my 1st patrol.

I guess it will also work with other mods (LSH, GWX), the only consequence is: you get a blank first patrol.

Thanks for your feedbacks !

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-07-18 at 09:33 AM.