SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-15, 10:17 PM   #16
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Get a DVD "Gold Edition" version 1.5 at iNetVideo for under 20 dollars.... delivered (when I bought mine, it came in less than 5 days).
+1

You will have the latest and greatest version, you will be able to use the latest and widest variety of mods, and you will be able to re-install the game (it happens), with minimal hassle. You will save yourself many headaches.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 11:48 PM   #17
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman
I got 1.4 when I DL it a few days ago.the upgrade was $5
You must be the only guy who downloaded a version 1.4 of the original SH4 from Steam.

Several player's writing here at SubSim have stated their versions from Steam was v1.3. So have quite a few on the Steam Forum as well. Here's one of their threads. You seem to be very fortunate!?

Today the price from Steam for the U-Boat Missions Addon is $9.99 which requires the original SH4 to be bought for another $9.99. Great bargains to be sure.

Want to talk about bargains? iNetVideo sold the same DVD Gold Edition a year ago for under $8.00, $11.00 dollars including shipping. When you snooze, you lose.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 01-11-15 at 12:00 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 09:45 AM   #18
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Yeah, the sale on Steam didn't seem like it was going to last long. Perhaps Steam has only very recently updated to 1.4. Perhaps those discussions led to complaints and an actual corporate response
Old 03-04-15, 03:23 AM   #19
chu888
Swabbie

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axolen View Post
I've looked and looked over all the screens, especially that one and I can't find it. Not even in the spot you said. I have the STEAM version if that helps. Thank you for your help so far.
You can try set the screen in diff revolution and see. It may OK.
chu888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 10:32 AM   #20
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axolen
I've looked and looked over all the screens, especially that one and I can't find it (the Hull Damage readout). Not even in the spot you said.
I have the STEAM version if that helps. Thank you for your help so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chu888
You can try set the screen in diff revolution and see. It may OK.
Chu888.......Welcome to SubSim!!

I'm guessing you've read this thread, learning that Axolen's problem has to do with the version of his Steam downloaded game was version 1.3. Unfortunately he has not posted in the last 2 months to tell us if things worked out for him or not.

Although the resolution/aspect ratio can interfere with certain portions of the screen being "cut off" along the edges of the screen, its not likely to have just a small piece of the screen (like the digital readout of the Hull Damage) not to show, while other parts are displayed just fine.

If the resolution/aspect ratio had something to do with it, the entire left side of the screen......showing the individual sub makeup would be missing too:

As an update though, do you have a Steam downloaded version of the game? What does your Main Menu screen show as its version:

Just curious.......wondering if Steam replaced their download of the original Silent Hunter 4 game from version 1.3 to 1.4???

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-04-15 at 10:59 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 06:52 PM   #21
thegrindre
Engineer

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Steam's sale is worthless if you THINK your getting version 1.4 but end up with 1.3.

I've been to the Steam web site.....they don't tell you what version of the SH4 game your getting. They have two versions.....the original (which is obviously version 1.3 due to so many complaints players write into this forum about). Or, you can "upgrade" to the U-Boat Missions Addon version1.5, which costs extra, only after buying the original download.

Your buying crap even if it is 5 bucks!! Frustrated players (like Axolen) resort to finally asking why is my game doing this, or why can't my game do that? Simply because Steam sold them nothing but trouble with an inferior version of the game. In my opinion, deliberately forcing a player to upgrade for an extra cost. My verdict still stands....buy a DVD, and forget buying a download.

A download? You got nothing but air in your hand.
At least when you buy dog poop you've got something to hold.
My feelings exactly! I'll never buy any software that I can't hold in my hands (CD-DVD). This electronic downloading idea is nothing but a rip off.
And, no, I will never play SH5.
Intel core 2 duo @ 2.33GHz
nVidia Gforce 8800 GTX 768mb
4 gigs ram w/4 gig virtual memory
Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap!

Last edited by thegrindre; 03-04-15 at 07:05 PM.
thegrindre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, hull, steam