SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-11, 01:07 AM   #1
Howard313
Engineer

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
A few problems I'm having with SH3

Before I begin, I'd like to apologize if this isn't the correct place for this thread (it's my second post, and I saw nothing about a technical support/help spot in this forum.)

Please note I am using the $9.99 steam version (good deal no?)

Anyway, I'm having three issues with my otherwise perfect game of SH3. And they are as follows.

1. No random mission generator/editor/creator. They are just not there, I have the missions that come with the sim (Bismark, XXI, etc etc) but I have no capability creating my own missions, or generating a random one, now it may be something as simple as these features don't come with sh3 and you have to get them separately. Please let me know.

----------

2. during a career or mission, the crew management view. Depending on whether you are surfaced or submerged you will have three buttons near the bottom right.

On surface: Surface Cruise, Surface Attack, and something else (anti-air i think, could be wrong)

In Water: Submerged cruise, Submerged Attack, etc etc

The problem is, whenever I click any of these it will do one of two things, it will either do what it's supposed to do and automatically move my crew around for me based on the specifications, or it will crash my game closing me out to steam and half the time steam will crash along with it.

----------

3. I can't get the gramophone to work.....no in-game mp3 for me
My dreams of listening to metallica while killing British people are ruined.

But seriously, I checked my SH3 folder and it's a wasteland (doesn't even have a sound folder, where I am supposed to put my mp3's I believe.)

-----------

I've been suspecting that the reason I've had all these issues is because I have the steam version. Maybe the steam version merely doesn't support these features is my guess, if I'm wrong let me know and maybe we can figure out how to solve some of these.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Last edited by Howard313; 03-24-11 at 01:42 AM.
Howard313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 03:27 AM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

1) There is a mission editor. I have never used it, but I know it's there. In the below linked thread there is a recommended mod, GWX. It comes preloaded with a whole bunch of new single missions and a way more historically accurate campaign.

2) That's why you don't use them. They are bugs left over from the devs, and were never fixed. You have to manually move the crew yourself. Double clicking the compartment name will minimally staff it. Right clicking it, then double clicking individual crew members will move that crew into the compartment.

3) I dont know, I dont use the grammy, I use Pandora in my browser. But i run in a windowed mode so I can mute it to listen to the hydro when I want.

Steam is fine (got mine last fall when it was on sale for $3, so :P ). That's what I run. There are a couple draw backs. Check another thread that was started today on issues to have to do with the steam version.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181694

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 04:00 AM   #3
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

3) should be SH3\data\sound\gramophone
just copy whatever you want to listen to in that gramophone folder and turn on the gramohpone in-game via the radio operator

Hope it solves the problem
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 02:51 PM   #4
Howard313
Engineer

thanks for the help guys,

@ Gargamel I've heard about GWX but never bothered to look into what it was, I'll check it out.

Update: I'm downloading GWX 3 gold right now. A rather large file, ought to be good from what I'm hearing. One question though, will it effect my frames per second in any way? My pc is virtually powered by a little hamster running in a wheel is why i'm asking.

Last edited by Howard313; 03-24-11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 04:18 PM   #5
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

GWX was specifically designed not to be overly demanding on systems that already met the recommended specs for stock SH3. So chances are good that you will not see too much drop-off in performance (if any). You will probably see increased loading times, but most people that could run stock okay don't seem to have any problems running GWX once it loads.

Every system is different though, so let us know if you run into any snags. You could also post your specs and see if anything jumps out at the resident gurus as potentially problematic.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 04:46 PM   #6
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard313 View Post
Before I begin, I'd like to apologize if this isn't the correct place for this thread (it's my second post, and I saw nothing about a technical support/help spot in this forum.)

Please note I am using the $9.99 steam version (good deal no?)

Anyway, I'm having three issues with my otherwise perfect game of SH3. And they are as follows.

1. No random mission generator/editor/creator. They are just not there, I have the missions that come with the sim (Bismark, XXI, etc etc) but I have no capability creating my own missions, or generating a random one, now it may be something as simple as these features don't come with sh3 and you have to get them separately. Please let me know.

----------

2. during a career or mission, the crew management view. Depending on whether you are surfaced or submerged you will have three buttons near the bottom right.

On surface: Surface Cruise, Surface Attack, and something else (anti-air i think, could be wrong)

In Water: Submerged cruise, Submerged Attack, etc etc

The problem is, whenever I click any of these it will do one of two things, it will either do what it's supposed to do and automatically move my crew around for me based on the specifications, or it will crash my game closing me out to steam and half the time steam will crash along with it.

----------

3. I can't get the gramophone to work.....no in-game mp3 for me
My dreams of listening to metallica while killing British people are ruined.

But seriously, I checked my SH3 folder and it's a wasteland (doesn't even have a sound folder, where I am supposed to put my mp3's I believe.)

-----------

I've been suspecting that the reason I've had all these issues is because I have the steam version. Maybe the steam version merely doesn't support these features is my guess, if I'm wrong let me know and maybe we can figure out how to solve some of these.

Thanks in advanced for your help.
you could buy the disk, they are going very cheap and get it patched to v1.4. then download GWX and some of the great mods out there and you're away!! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ilent+hunter+3

some of the re-issues come with the v1.4 patch already on them. and do as frau kaleun asks you!!! put up your computer spec and youl'll get more feedback and help
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 04:46 PM   #7
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Remember on installing GWX 3,
Make sure you direct it to the proper Steam Folder where your SH3.exe is located!
This step throws alot of Steam Users.

Also, for a proper install?
Make sure the volume is turned up!

I ran GWX 3 on a Notebook with a 1.8 Single core,
2 gig Ram and a ATI with 128 megs

Infact? there was a lot of development done on that Notebook!
And the installer also!
Old 03-24-11, 06:38 PM   #8
Howard313
Engineer

First off I'm proud to announce that issue three has been solved, turns out my pc has two sh3 folders, guess which one i originally put my mp3s into.
(it wasn't the steam one if you guessed that)

I'd like to thank Betonov for helping me solve this problem

Some people here asked for my specs so..... no clue if I did this right or even got the right info so bare with my Americanized idiocy.

My Specs, read em & weep

Old 03-24-11, 06:41 PM   #9
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
I ran GWX 3 on a Notebook with a 1.8 Single core,
2 gig Ram and a ATI with 128 megs
Similar experience here...

Downright amazing how undemanding it can be. Not that I'm complaining mind you.
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 06:42 PM   #10
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag4 View Post
you could buy the disk,
Not sure why he'd want to if he already bought it on steam.

The only real issues with steam, that I have found, are trying to run multi-SH3, and the 4gb patch needs some tweaks. Minor speedbumps at worst, and non existent if you don't intend to use those tweaks to start with.

Of course theres the delay in startup that may cause some SHC issues, but it is easily avoided when you realize it is happening.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 06:50 PM   #11
Howard313
Engineer

I couldn't play on a disc anyway....my cd drive hasn't worked in years

Old 03-24-11, 06:57 PM   #12
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I couldn't play on a disc anyway....my cd drive hasn't worked in years
Really? Cuz I think I may have a couple drives that I pulled out of my last rig. I'd have to check to be sure and they'd be at the office if I kept them, but I don't remember tossing them out since they were still working at the time.
Old 03-24-11, 07:13 PM   #13
Howard313
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Really? Cuz I think I may have a couple drives that I pulled out of my last rig. I'd have to check to be sure and they'd be at the office if I kept them, but I don't remember tossing them out since they were still working at the time.
As Kind as your offer is, I wouldn't put you through the trouble. I intend to totally replace this pc pretty soon anyway. Thanks for the thought though.

Old 03-24-11, 07:16 PM   #14
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
As Kind as your offer is, I wouldn't put you through the trouble. I intend to totally replace this pc pretty soon anyway. Thanks for the thought though.
Curses, another attempt to get rid of old hardware foiled!

Have fun with the new rig when you get it!
Old 03-24-11, 07:36 PM   #15
Howard313
Engineer

Issue one has been solved as well, now that I found the proper folder The mission editor is right where it should be. that's two birds with one stone. As for Issue two from what Gargamel said, it isn't an issue with me but just a bug in the game (I can live with that.)

So in other words all the issues have been solved, thanks for everybody's help.

At the time of posting this GWX 3 gold is 80% complete, I'll let you know if/when everything runs smoothly. Now if I can just find that das boot mod I've seen from time to time i'll be all set.

Tags
problem, sh3, steam, technical