SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-12, 12:03 PM   #1
AirHippo
Sailor man

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default Steam and SCX IIC - misbegotten woes

So, the other day I suddenly thought, "wow, I've not played SC in ages (since my disc died), and DW was pants."

So I toddled around the web and discovered that it can be had from Steam. "Yay!" said I, and promptly handed over my readies for my electronic copy, having been assured that it should work, probably, maybe.

Which, of course, it didn't. Normally I'd have some clue of what to do, but Steam installs the game in a manner totally different from that used by SC proper, and I have absolutely not a clue what to do with it. The SCX installer runs perfectly, of course; but as soon as I try to launch it (and the installer tries to fire up and install the new graphics, et al), I get this:

If I press either "Abort" or "Ignore", I get this:

Aaaaand if I close the application another one fires up, which begins the whole process again, like this:

A couple of years ago I'd have had a clue, perhaps, what to do about this. As it stands I'm totally bloody lost.

OS is Vista Pro x64. E2660 Core 2 Duo CPU, 4Gb of RAM, about half a Terabyte of HD space, NVidis GeForce 7800GT for video drivers. UAC may be an issue I guess. Any help much appreciated. Thanks people!
AirHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 12:32 PM   #2
Malefactor
Loader

Downloads: 7

I see that you've installed to the default location C:\Program Files (x86) it's possible that UAC is causing a problem here.Try installing to a different location, for example
C:\Games\Steam or C:\Steam
Malefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 01:29 PM   #3
AirHippo
Sailor man

I'm not sure it's possible to change the installation directory for Steam games, at least, not without removing Steam itself, plus the games, and reinstalling in a new directory. I know I used to have SC running on this machine, though, which is encouraging. I may have to invest my readies in a proper CD for it...

Anyway, just tried disabling UAC. No dice.
Old 06-15-12, 04:28 PM   #4
CapitanPiluso
Forum Captain

Downloads: 22

I bought SC some years ago from Steam and got it ok and running,remember also installed SCX with no problem.
I am (almost) sure you can not install a Steam game in a different path.
I´d try to erase the entire download and try it again.

My DW pics :https://goo.gl/photos/5gBN7WFntLBSAsc17

My SSM2007 pics :https://goo.gl/photos/1Fa6GaEom28AZuc57
CapitanPiluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 12:23 AM   #5
AirHippo
Sailor man

Well, I removed and re-installed Steam, moving it to a new folder called C:\Steam. Still no dice. New error message though:

At least there's variety!
Old 06-16-12, 02:58 AM   #6
AirHippo
Sailor man

Feeeeeeck. Hang fire lads, I think I've got it.

Steam installs Sub Command in exactly the same manner as SC installs itself from a CD; the one difference is that it's installed in a sub-directory of the steam apps folder (in this case, C:\Steam\steamapps\common\subcommand). Once I worked that out, I simply installed SCX again, this time placing it in the Sub Command directory. Out came the files, on came the new thingies. The programme installed everything, but then said I wouldn't hear the voices because I was using the wrong version. As it stands I'm not sure what to do about that, since I do rather miss them. I'm using v 1.08, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.
Old 06-16-12, 03:01 PM   #7
Malefactor
Loader

Downloads: 7

Glad to hear you've made some progress.

As for the no voices because of the wrong version message,I've never seen that one before.
Malefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 06:38 PM   #8
AirHippo
Sailor man

Seems it's a known issue; SCU (sorry, not SCX) requires v 1.08, and applying the non-Steam v 1.08 patch seems to be a bad idea. I'm going to try doing it anyway and see if it screws the game up. Anyway, it seems the Steam/NCP version is patched to 1.08, but not in a way SCU recognises. Hence the problem. If anyone's got a workaround for it, pipe up!

Edit: Sooooo. The stock 1.08 patch knocks out the subcommand.exe file. So I can either have SCX without the voices, or vanilla SC with them, but for some reason, not both, it seems. Anyone else found this?
Old 07-08-18, 02:20 AM   #9
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Downloads: 97

Yes I have this problem too, the Steam 1.08 is not recognized and he tells me wrong version and doesn´t want to install voices. Is there a workaround?
MANoWAR.U52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 05:13 AM   #10
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Downloads: 97

Okay I fixed it by using the 1.08 non steam patch exe and the windows 10 dangerous waters fix dll. Afterwards I was able to install SCX to my steam install including the sounds.
MANoWAR.U52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, scx, steam, sub command