SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-18, 04:40 PM   #1
Reds
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Don't Add Multiplayer to Cold Waters

I don't know if a multiplayer feature is already announced, but I think it would be a huge waste of resources. Games like these retain their popularity over time due to the large amount of single player missions and campaigns, while not many people even bother with the multiplayer mode.

This is evident in similar games. Consider Dangerous Waters, Fleet Command, CMANO, etc. All of these games have a lot of missions made by the community, and people spend their time playing these, even 10+ years after the release of the game.

Add new missions, campaigns, platforms, and make it easy for the modders to do even more. I think a lot of people would be fine paying for new, bigger, contemporary campaigns and mission packs. People play these games for the immersion.
Reds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 02:35 AM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds View Post
I don't know if a multiplayer feature is already announced, but I think it would be a huge waste of resources. Games like these retain their popularity over time due to the large amount of single player missions and campaigns, while not many people even bother with the multiplayer mode.

This is evident in similar games. Consider Dangerous Waters, Fleet Command, CMANO, etc. All of these games have a lot of missions made by the community, and people spend their time playing these, even 10+ years after the release of the game.

Add new missions, campaigns, platforms, and make it easy for the modders to do even more. I think a lot of people would be fine paying for new, bigger, contemporary campaigns and mission packs. People play these games for the immersion.
I don't think anything solid was announced for multi-player other than some people voicing the opinion that they want to see it. It could be fun but for the most part its going to end up in torpedo spam in PVP and co-op for the most part in impractical due to the solitary nature of submarine ops.
Old 02-11-18, 12:56 PM   #3
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I think independent operations are the norm. Sure, I think there would be more than one US sub in the GIUK/Norwegian/Barents Sea areas, but, they would still be operating independently in their missions. Missions may be supportive and one sub may go to help another, but general separation would be the norm.

All that "independent" being said, I wish there were more story lines for missions and some new missions. Just more depth and attachment to each mission, particularly the unique missions that can be developed.

Missions I am talking about might be exfiltration of people or materials, picket duty or surveillance and reporting. Their have been encounters where I turned away from engagement, but I could have reported the Russian presence. Having a way to report back could assist with mission creation.

IMHO
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 11:04 PM   #4
MR_AUS
Watch

Downloads: 14

Multiplayer would be great if it was 1 on 1, hunting each other in subs. Maybe 3 players max, but as mentioned before, it could be just torpedo spam.
Old 02-13-18, 03:45 PM   #5
Overkill
Frogman

Downloads: 128

Remember 688 Attack Sub from way back in '89? Yeah it was the first one I can remember that had multiplayer. Only played it in multiplayer one time with a buddy. He launched torpedoes like a mad man at the first hint of a sound. I sank and the whole thing lasted about 5 minutes. Oh so much fun...
Old 02-13-18, 04:42 PM   #6
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I was playing that until CW came along last year. I tried Silent Hunter but it was too dated. Grateful to find a new program.

I will probably be playing CW in 37 (2037)

😆
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 09:03 PM   #7
Shibster
Watch

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
I was playing that until CW came along last year. I tried Silent Hunter but it was too dated. Grateful to find a new program.

I will probably be playing CW in 37 (2037)

😆
That is a shame. I still play SH4 and wouldnt mind trying SH3 again.
Shibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 01:10 PM   #8
CrazyIan
Nub

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I don't think anything solid was announced for multi-player other than some people voicing the opinion that they want to see it. It could be fun but for the most part its going to end up in torpedo spam in PVP and co-op for the most part in impractical due to the solitary nature of submarine ops.
That depends on if they go full Naval Warfare platforms in the future, like with their previous games.

8 or 9 players in a Taskgroup trying to control the gulf for example would be amazing.
CrazyIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 11:07 AM   #9
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Yea, MP will be a waste of resource. 1st detection, spam torp against target and evade. Gameover!
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 08:16 AM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I see absolutely no use of MP in the current state of the game. Subs act independently after WWII, and else you cannot control any surface ship.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 01:44 PM   #11
supraoptimo
Watch

Downloads: 3

About the only way I can see a multiplayer feature functioning is in a sort of "dynamic campaign" sort of thing.

Basically, you have a bunch of people playing single player missions, but everything they do affects the game of everyone else.

For example, a player on the Russian team manages to severely cripple a NATO surface group. Then the players on the NATO side are given missions to either block the resulting patrol gap or target a Soviet group trying to slip through the gap.

But that would probably require starting almost from scratch as far as game design is concerned.
supraoptimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 02:38 PM   #12
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraoptimo View Post
About the only way I can see a multiplayer feature functioning is in a sort of "dynamic campaign" sort of thing.

Basically, you have a bunch of people playing single player missions, but everything they do affects the game of everyone else.

For example, a player on the Russian team manages to severely cripple a NATO surface group. Then the players on the NATO side are given missions to either block the resulting patrol gap or target a Soviet group trying to slip through the gap.

But that would probably require starting almost from scratch as far as game design is concerned.
That's the coolest sounding Cold Waters multiplayer idea I think I've heard. It would be pretty big scale, though. There might be some kind of tonal detachment from the current style, but a cool idea nonetheless.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 01:22 AM   #13
Yondan
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Multiplayer will be cool

I can remember, back in the dark ages, playing Sub688 head to head. My neighbour would come across with his PC and we set up on opposite ends of our dining room table. Connected by lan/serial? cable. We used headphones so that there were no audio 'giveaways' that each other could hear from our PC. Really awesome fun with bowls of snacks and a couple of cold beers. 'Would love to go head to head with a human again.
Old 11-12-21, 03:43 AM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Yondan!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote