SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-24-18, 08:01 AM   #1
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default Vsync and framerate problem

Hello fellow Submariners.
I just bought Cold Waters and I have an irritating problem:
When I have Vsync turned OFF in the options menu, the game runs smooth as butter, with all settings up, and getting 100+ fps (sometimes up to 300). This leads to a problem with my GPU getting too hot. That's why I use Vsync on most games. But when I use Vsync in Cold Waters, the framerate doesn't even get to 60, even with multiple options turned down, which leads to stuttering and unsmooth gameplay. I really would like to have my fps capped to 60, but the ingame vsync option does not work for me somehow. I don't know if there has already been a discussion about it, if so, please link me to the topic. Otherwise, I would appreciate any help that one can deliver to me.
Merry christmas and good hunting

Last edited by Geoff then; 12-24-18 at 02:29 PM.
Geoff then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-18, 12:45 PM   #2
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18

Especially in 3D viewing mode, CW can be pretty graphic intensive even with a lot of detail disabled or turned down. Lots of water, multiple vessels, aircraft, swimming torpedoes, whales flapping their tails and of course your own sub that is moving around necessitating lots of visual updates.

Smooth game play is a function of both your processor and graphics capabilities. Sometimes driver updates help if you are several revisions behind. Sometimes terminating background tasks or better still preventing them from starting in the first place can help.

I can't specifically address either component in your system or even suggest optimum settings but by tweaking them one at a time, you should be able to arrive at the point where game play is as good as it is going to get under the conditions you are trying to achieve.

If you live in a place that enjoys winter weather, you could close the door to the room, open the window and play as if you really are at 1300 feet. Your GPU shouldn't over heat then... :-)

During hi-intensity game play, not using 3D mode should get rid of any stuttering until you clear the field of play a little bit more.

Good luck.
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-18, 01:04 PM   #3
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48
Default Graphics

Water?...Where do you see water?
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-18, 06:27 PM   #4
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18

Darn, I can't find the water now. I know I saw some in the game somewhere. Maybe in the '68 campaign or perhaps in a mod I installed awhile ago...
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-18, 01:42 PM   #5
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63

But this big gap between performance with Vsync on or off seems too huge for me. Of course it is more demanding when on, but for me it seems to be an optimization problem of some sort.
So, there is no way to cap my framerate to 60 without using vsync?
And I mean, this unsmooth gameplay is not THAT disturbing. It is just not as nice as having a constant 60, which this system could easily deliver without vsync (+I could put my anti-aliasing even higher).
With all graphics to full the game runs at about 100fps most of the time, but that is making gpu fan loud. So a 60cap would solve this entirely