SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-09, 10:24 PM   #286
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Either force anti-aliasing through Nvidia CP or nHancer, shouldn't really matter (does the same thing).

Considering it's an older driver, nHancer should work fine with it. Maybe try older build.

178.24 best that works? Surely there's something more up-to-date? Give the 182.xx releases a try if you haven't already.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 07:51 AM   #287
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0

Okay,
I have updated the nvidia driver to version 195.39 installed the last
version of nhancer and followed the steps on this forum.

Here is the screenshot.

Or is it normal these broken lines?
Old 11-09-09, 11:07 AM   #288
Arclight
Navy Seal

(sorry about my "handwriting" )

1) Select the profile for the game.
2) Check that the executable is correct.
3) Make sure AA is checked.
4) Select AA technique (not sure SSAA works, stick with MSAA).
5) Select AA mode; 2x, 4x, 8x, etc. 4x should be sufficient in most games, but for SH 4x is max, as per Rubini's instructions, to avoid graphical glitches (yes, the picture shows this incorrectly).
6) Make sure "enhance in-game AA setting" is NOT checked; SH does not have AA, so there's nothing to enhance. That's why whe're forcing it through driver.
7) Gamma correction normally doesn't hurt, but for SH turn it OFF, as per Rubini's instructions, to avoid graphical glitches (yes, the picture shows this incorrectly).
8) Select a transparancy AA mode if you want. Super-sampling looks better but is more costly on performance.

*) If it doesn't work automatically, tick "profile can be activated manually". You can then force the profile by going to "tools > activate profile > [desired profile]". Keep in mind though that the profile is then forced on everything, not just SH (I think ).

Old 11-09-09, 11:37 AM   #289
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Thanks Arclight,

These settings are the best. But i see a problem in the nav tutorial.
I see moving glitches at the horizon and the beaches moves.

But in the periscope tutorials it couldn`t be better.

Last edited by java`s revenge; 11-09-09 at 02:35 PM.
java`s revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 04:34 PM   #290
Arclight
Navy Seal

Yeah, I think the "shimmering", or whatever it is, is "normal". The engine wasn't build with Anti-Aliasing, so it has to be forced/applied by the driver. This is a rather brute method; usually more costly with less quality as compared to actual in-game AA. The shimmering is probably a side-effect of this, or it may have been there from the start, not really sure.

The side-effects of enabling more than 4xMSAA and gamma correction is the thinning of smoke and the disappearance of the sun's halo respectively (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong). If you never look at the sun and don't mind a bit flimsy smoke, then by all means, set it up as you want.

* that setting for Anisotropic Filtering is also highly recommended; it makes textures sharper, particularly at distance (has to do with the angle at which you look at a surface: the shallower the angle, the blurier the texture). 8XAF should be manageable for a midrange card and gives good results. Going from 8x to 16x has very little benefit while still costing some performance (on the better cards it's hardly noticeable, if at all though).

Old 11-09-09, 05:20 PM   #291
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Thanks Arclight for the explanation.

Btw your soup becomes very old. It`s white now, you
have to cook fresh for your crew....
Old 11-09-09, 05:28 PM   #292
Arclight
Navy Seal

You are welcome.

Haven't heard any complaints about the soup yet... though more men have been falling ill lately.

Old 12-03-09, 11:59 PM   #293
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
Howdy guys...Does anyone have a Nvidia GTX 295 card using Rubini's settings and Nhancer?

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 11:53 AM   #294
berobispo
Helmsman

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 4
Default 7600gs with varying fps

Hi!

could someone explain the following behaviour:

recently installed SH4 on an old PIV 2,8ghz, 2 GB RAM (mixed bars), 7600gs 256 AGP, 250GB HD, WIN XP SP2, latest NVidia driver (6.14.11.9562). Some missions turn out to have ok fps throughout, though they drop to about 15 when torpedos impact, but other missions have terrible fps (7-8), e.g. the torpedo tutorial. This drop in fps seems to occur without any particular reason and the fps stay that low. fps this low in any 3d view (not in the map view). Only high resolution textures is checked, everything else is unchecked or at low.

I have SH3 GWX 3 and the OLC mkIId Übermod installed as well, which runs like a charm.

Also tried NHancer and disabled AA, AF, doesn't help.

Could it be that my DC supply is causing the trouble? It only supplies 200w. I know this is terribly low, but AFAIK the 7600gs only needs 34w (silent edition).

What would be the best NHancer settings for good fps?

thanks!
berobispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 03:38 PM   #295
Arclight
Navy Seal

It's the card, mate. It's not powerfull enough.

The game slows down quite a bit near land. If there are many ships and scenery (harbor, for example) it gets pretty bad.

On a 8800GTS I get choppy performance in harbors with max settings, 4xAA, 16xAF, 1280x960.

Old 01-08-10, 01:38 PM   #296
berobispo
Helmsman

thx arclight! But I still don't understand:

-When I pause the game, alt-tab out of SH4 and spend some clicks in firefox or whatever, fps are good again when alt-tab into the game again. Even when there's lot to be displayed, like enemy shipping, torpedo impact etc. Then they drop again some time later.

Currently I run the 7600gs with 425/425 Hz (original 400/400) and AA/AF/vSync off via Nhancer. Temperature is 116°C, system stable. Do you think installing an older driver might change anything?
Old 01-08-10, 01:49 PM   #297
berobispo
Helmsman

another thing: the map view gives me good fps, when I pause in the map view, fps stay this (fraps shpwing and mouse moving), but when I pause during a 3d stutter, fps stay this low even while only the menu is shown. This doesn't make sense to me
Old 01-08-10, 04:39 PM   #298
berobispo
Helmsman

sorrys for all this trolling, but I think I've found the reason.
Using Rivatuner's monitoring device I found my fps go down the moment the temperature of the graphic card's core reach 125°C (didn't check long enough on my previous post). This leads to the core's temperature declining. When temperature is lower (about 108°C) fps go up again. btw, I have done nothing with this card except software overclocking. Even when I lower the gpu and memory speed to 200/200, the temperature still rises, although much slower. Will try to run with my side off.
Old 01-08-10, 10:36 PM   #299
Arclight
Navy Seal

Wait, what?! 125C? Either the sensor is wrong or you have some serious temp issues imho.

And a P4 and mixed 2GB RAM isn't ideal either, though I still think the GPU is the main thing holding you back in this case.

Old 01-09-10, 07:17 PM   #300
berobispo
Helmsman

arclight, you are probably right about the temperature. I have applied new conductand paste and will try to install a small fan (now it's only passive cooling). But the gpu is actually doing a pretty job. fps 25-50 with high resolution textures and some effects activated. But my demand is not to have the best perfomance but to play SH4 on a rig that I have built from old parts (student). Haven't installed any supermod yet, will see how this goes.