SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-08, 04:49 PM   #571
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Hi skwasjer,

First of all thanks again by S3D!

I just should like to comments some issues about S3d that i noticed after one month of intense use of it.

1. The search function (for id on all files) don´t find any object id reference, what sometimes is crucial to the work. Seems that it only find main Ids/parent ids/3d models ids. So, this could be a simple useful addition to mod work.

2. The remap (clone function): it works well and in a enough way to clone things. It don´t "remap" object reference ids. It's understable that this could end in troubles sometimes...but frequently the objects are at the same file and after we use the remap function we will lose all it´s references. In the Water stream SH3 mod for example I use 54 objects references in the same .dat. I need to clone all this stuff for each different uboat...so this single absent feature (remap correctly the objects references that are in the same file) brings me a very huge manual work. This is only a example on how this could be very useful if implemented. If you can, open the 7c .dat from the Water stream mod and take a look on the more than 50 controllers and how each one refer (createobject) to an unique waterparticle that are at the botton of the same file and you will understand the amount of manual work that could be automatized by S3D.

Hopes that this could help you in make the S3D yet better.

Thanks in any advice!

Rubini.
Old 04-18-08, 05:12 PM   #572
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Hi Rubini, correct, both the search and remap function don't look inside the controllers. The main reason was that it was too difficult at the time I implemented those features and there's some other things to consider (it may change id's that you don't want!). But I'll see what I can do in the future, the remap function most likely will get more parameters so you can pick and choose... I'm also considering a find/replace function which takes a bit more labor than remap, but at least you see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 05:37 PM   #573
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
Hi Rubini, correct, both the search and remap function don't look inside the controllers. The main reason was that it was too difficult at the time I implemented those features and there's some other things to consider (it may change id's that you don't want!). But I'll see what I can do in the future, the remap function most likely will get more parameters so you can pick and choose... I'm also considering a find/replace function which takes a bit more labor than remap, but at least you see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback
Thanks for the reply.

The search function is just innocent, you can add an option to search also for id references without any problem i guess

About the remap, yes i cloned a lot since PACK3d! and i now exactly what you means. Just to reaffirm, my suggestion is focused in extend the remap function only for ids references that are on the same file, because this a safety action. Just this will adds a lot for remap function!
Old 04-18-08, 06:53 PM   #574
skwasjer
The Old Man

Mostly obj-import fixes...

I still keep this a private (experimental) release only for subsim visitors, until I'm positive the import/export functionality is stable enough. Thanks for testing it. YOU are helping S3D getting better!

Have fun!

Version v0.8.1 - The download has been replaced by a newer version. Please follow my sig links.
New
  • Added a couple of menuitems to the 'Insert new chunk' menu.
Improved
  • The import dialog now has a progress indicator.
  • The OBJ-importer no longer accepts quads and polygons. It couldn't handle them anyway, but it didn't warn you and this would cause problems to the game. Please triangulate your model before importing.
  • The OBJ-importer no longer accepts meshes that are partially textured. It may actually be smarter to remove the 'import texture coordinates' option all together. But ok, maybe later.
Fixed
  • Fixed OBJ-import bug 'An entry with the same key already exists'. This was caused by OBJ-files that contained duplicate texture coordinates. S3D already fixed this for map channel 2 and up, but didn't for the first channel. It does now.
  • Fixed OBJ-import bug 'Unexpected token encountered'. Somehow I goofed up, as the importer failed to recognize the 'o' token. Whooops!
  • Fixed OBJ-import bug for object files containing multiple meshes. S3D removed all the meshes it didn't need, but left the then unused materials untouched. This caused incorrect material indices to be saved into the .DAT.

Last edited by skwasjer; 04-22-08 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 10:04 PM   #575
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloading!
Old 04-18-08, 10:37 PM   #576
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

Quick question. Which lines in your editor apply to the sub and u-boat shells under the Shells.zon file? I just need to be sure.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 10:39 PM   #577
skwasjer
The Old Man

How's this for a new feature! Very useful to check if the uv data is imported correctly

Old 04-18-08, 11:14 PM   #578
DeepIron
Sea Lord

That looks very much like the occlusion map base...
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 11:39 PM   #579
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Hmmm. Guess it's back to Hex Workshop. No point in asking questions about this program.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 05:18 AM   #580
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
@Anvart, heh, you again

Sorry ...
My idea is very simple...
After export of object and its import back into dat-file (without changes) i should get an original code ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 04-19-08 at 05:43 AM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 06:12 AM   #581
skwasjer
The Old Man

Anvart, it is not feasible to do so, and from a technical standpoint there's no reason why this should be done nor is there a benefit to gain.

Bottom line is there is no point in making sure the import function reorders the uv's exactly like the original. If the function is procedurally correct (aka. if the model renders correctly), then I don't care if the ordering is different (and in fact in some cases better!). The result is what matters.

And another thing. I've done tests where I didn't optimize the export either (yes, the export is optimized as well). The result? Some 3D studio's strip all the unused data and reorder the tables as well. So I don't do anything crazy, see?

I know what I have done, and why I have done it. Time for you to trust me.

(this doesn't mean there could be bugs in the whole implementation, but that's a different thing)
Old 04-19-08, 06:58 AM   #582
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default token again

hi (again..), I'm not gonna post a screenshot this time, it's the same I had yesterday with S3D 0.8.
I import a hull model in 3DS max, the Jyunsen B Hull, import the 627a sub hull, take the texture from the 627a, put it in the mat library (M in 3ds), unwrap the uvmaps, paste the texture to the Jyunsen B hull, delete the 627a, export the Jyunsen B to the obj format.

Then open S3D, open my 9DX2.dat file, select the 3D model, right click, 3d model import, select the Jyunsen B hull in the 3DS export directory, and BAM!

UNEXPECTED TOKEN ENCOUNTERED

I posted my obj file and the 3DS file here : Hull_Jyunsen_B.rar

http://hosted.filefront.com/keltos01/

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 09:59 AM   #583
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Skwasjer, having been on the alpha team a beta tester a number of years ago for a commercial 3D program (Real3D), I have to say the work you're doing is incredible.

Considering all of the coding is being done by one person, the progress and results deserve nothing but respect for your hard work. You are doing one bang up job!

Yeah- there are issues that need to be dealt with along the way, but that's because of the incredible complexity of what you're doing. Keep up the good work and know us modders appreciate everything you do.

Thanks and thanks again!

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 10:08 AM   #584
ref
Grey Wolf

Quote:
How's this for a new feature! Very useful to check if the uv data is imported correctly

Nice feature Skwasjer, didn't have time to DL the new version, but I've a suggestion (in case it isn't implemented ) It should be usefull for texture artists an export function for the tmap's display you implemented, as they can be used as an overlay on photoshop (or any other image editor) to facilitate the paint proccess, specially the main TMAP.

Ref
Old 04-19-08, 12:38 PM   #585
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref
Nice feature Skwasjer, didn't have time to DL the new version, but I've a suggestion (in case it isn't implemented ) It should be usefull for texture artists an export function for the tmap's display you implemented, as they can be used as an overlay on photoshop (or any other image editor) to facilitate the paint proccess, specially the main TMAP.

Ref
Agree 100% with this suggestion!

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote