SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-18, 11:03 PM   #1
Nefarious
Sailor man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
radar SH3 Veteran, trying to get into SH4

When I wanted to get back into SH3 several years ago, I bought the entire pack off Steam that included SH4 and SH5 too.

So I recently did some reading and got TMO 2.5 and RSRD and it seems to be working.

Some of the reading I did here seemed to indicate that historic battle stuff doesnt happen in TMO 2.5, but does happen in RSRD... What can I expect in game with these mods installed?

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group - Aces High Friday Squad Ops
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 12:07 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
When I wanted to get back into SH3 several years ago, I bought the entire pack off Steam that included SH4 and SH5 too.

So I recently did some reading and got TMO 2.5 and RSRD and it seems to be working.

Some of the reading I did here seemed to indicate that historic battle stuff doesnt happen in TMO 2.5, but does happen in RSRD... What can I expect in game with these mods installed?

nefarious,
welcome to SH4.
there are single missions built around historical events. both in Stock game and the two mods you quote.
not sure about SH3 because i havent played very much. did you install SH4 to the default folder or did you create your own? i ask because SH4 does not run correctly if installed in the default. for example, i run mine out of:
C:\Ubisoft\SilentHunter4\
i would say go ahead and d/l both of those mods. they are excellent. TMO can be rough so you may want to d/l TMO with Training Wheels (TMOwTW).
that is a bit easier to survive. i've played all three of these and they are very entertaining.
good luck.

mb

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 09:02 AM   #3
Nefarious
Sailor man

When you say doesn't work correctly in Steam, what are the issues?

Old 12-07-18, 10:28 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Main problem with any of the Silent Hunter games is the "protection" that Microsoft puts on "system" folders, including the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders. This involves part of User Access Control (UAC), first encountered in Windows Vista. Any "unauthorized" edits of certain files in a Program Files folder will result in Windows rolling back the edits to previous states. In other words, you use JSGME (a WinXP program) to apply a mod, and Windows comes along and sees "cfg" files that were changed by JSGME, and rolls them back to the Stock versions. Even changes you make yourself will be rolled back. You end up with a partially activated mod, and strange behavior from the game. The workaround is to have SH4 installed in a folder you create yourself, not in the Program Files folders. This applies to whether you have a disk version, or a download version from any source.

No matter which mod you put in the game, Silent Hunter (especially SH4 v1.5) works on "spawning" the game's assets when the player is within a given range of about 25-30nm from the player's position. What can happen if you get in too close to some of the battle scenes, is that your presence interferes with timely spawning of the participants in the battle scene. Just be aware of that as you approach. In some of the scenarios, groups spawn well away from the battle scene and travel in. Other scenarios might have a group spawn near the engagement. RSRDC by lurker_hlb3 does have the best timing of any of the mods when it comes to major "historical" events happening.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 12:59 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Main problem with any of the Silent Hunter games is the "protection" that Microsoft puts on "system" folders, including the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders. This involves part of User Access Control (UAC), first encountered in Windows Vista. Any "unauthorized" edits of certain files in a Program Files folder will result in Windows rolling back the edits to previous states. In other words, you use JSGME (a WinXP program) to apply a mod, and Windows comes along and sees "cfg" files that were changed by JSGME, and rolls them back to the Stock versions. Even changes you make yourself will be rolled back. You end up with a partially activated mod, and strange behavior from the game. The workaround is to have SH4 installed in a folder you create yourself, not in the Program Files folders. This applies to whether you have a disk version, or a download version from any source.

No matter which mod you put in the game, Silent Hunter (especially SH4 v1.5) works on "spawning" the game's assets when the player is within a given range of about 25-30nm from the player's position. What can happen if you get in too close to some of the battle scenes, is that your presence interferes with timely spawning of the participants in the battle scene. Just be aware of that as you approach. In some of the scenarios, groups spawn well away from the battle scene and travel in. Other scenarios might have a group spawn near the engagement. RSRDC by lurker_hlb3 does have the best timing of any of the mods when it comes to major "historical" events happening.
i was going to say the same thing.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 10:28 PM   #6
Nefarious
Sailor man

Well, I installed years ago. Is there any solution without another Steam Download?

I personally haven't noticed any issues yet, but I'd hate to have them surface several patrols into my career.

My favorite aspect of SH3+GW was the battles. I based my patrols on historical events. That's what I was hoping to do in in SH4 starting with the Philippines, Singapore, Java, progressing through the war. I downloaded TMO first, and sailed to Java during the invasion and didn't see anything but angry shore batteries. So then I did some reading and got RSRD and was hoping to see some historical action. I will boot it up tonight I think, I'll report back here.

Old 12-07-18, 11:58 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

We've been discussing that in this thread: Multiple Installs on Steam. Is it possible?. Now, I've got Sh3 and SH5 in Steam, but all of my SH4 versions are disk (other than a downloaded v1.5 Uboat Missions from years ago), so I am not certain of the technique working with SH4. There is also this post: in the FotRSU thread which has a picture of my Steam screen. There is also a link to the Steam Support Site's method. There are two methods on that page. The "easy" way is if you have more than one hard drive on your computer, you can create another Steam Library folder through the Steam app. If you only have one hard drive, then you have to use the second method "How do I move my existing Steam Installation?", which can be rather involved and take a while, dependent upon how big your Steam Library is.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote