SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-16, 07:10 AM   #61
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
That's exactly what I mean.

Right now I am too busy to test anything, but I believe LGN1 is reading our notes. I know he is busy with real life too, but I hope he will carry on some new experiments when he gets time
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 01:58 PM   #62
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi guys,

sorry for the long delay in answering. As gap has pointed out I currently have a lot to do in RL.

To avoid any great expectations: I have not been able to get a working squid launcher based on the K-gun and I have also not been able to reduce the number of hedgehog projectiles There are also no projectiles in the air and no loading animations

However, gap's thrower looks great (and scary ) in-game and I could create the famous triangle pattern.

I have done several tests to check what triggers the DCs. I think it's just the position of the ship (and the speed of the u-boat). The position of the throwers with respect to the ship seems not to be taken into account. I have observed the same for the hedgehog. My testings also showed that the sinking speed of the DCs and the firing range of the hedgehog are not properly taken into account (this might be a problem for mods which significantly change the sinking speed of the DCs).

To summarize, the mod is currently still far from perfect, however, from a game-play perspective it does its job. gap's thrower looks great, but the particle effects could be improved (I'm not good at doing these effects). Maybe some other modders will join and improve the mod in the future...

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 12:22 PM   #63
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

Has anyone tested the squid launcher as a fixed multi barrel artillery piece? With 3 low velocity indirect fire projectiles? The Virtual Torpedo From Fido mod, and AI Subs are set up this way.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 01:11 PM   #64
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey117us View Post
Has anyone tested the squid launcher as a fixed multi barrel artillery piece? With 3 low velocity indirect fire projectiles? The Virtual Torpedo From Fido mod, and AI Subs are set up this way.
Yeah, why not ! But you have to add 3 different guns, with 3 different ranges, so the squid will fire 3 times, and all projectiles are going to hit the submarine... And how to simulate the DC falling underwater ?
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-16, 04:33 PM   #65
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey117us View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
Yeah, why not ! But you have to add 3 different guns, with 3 different ranges, so the squid will fire 3 times, and all projectiles are going to hit the submarine... And how to simulate the DC falling underwater ?
Yep, I was thinking pretty much the same but to the best of my knowledge, AI unitd would only fire their squid-guns against surfaced targets or, at most, agaist submarines which are at periscope depth. Such a tactic fits the purposes of virtual torpedoes, but not the ones of a depth charge.
Old 03-29-16, 04:52 PM   #66
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

So, there are no solutions ... ?
Old 03-31-16, 10:55 AM   #67
gap
Navy Seal

Let's wait for LGN1: he might come with a better idea...
Old 04-03-16, 02:15 PM   #68
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi,

I don't know how a gun should help. As gap has pointed out it would not fire on a submerged u-boat.

I think from a game-play point-of-view the hedgehog solution works fine. So for people playing without external view the current solution is ok.

IMHO, a 'real' squid would require editing the .exe because one would also have to code the historical 'squid attack' procedure which was quite different from DC attacks.

Regards, LGN1
Old 04-03-16, 06:33 PM   #69
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Quick video demonstration of a Squid attack. Although 14 years later, Triple the size, and more space Allocated for tubes, the method and technology for an indirect fire attack on a submerged target were the same. Notice the Echoplot Printer giving the aspect range and course and when the Squid Batteries in this case fire, they "Walk In" a salvo. I would guess From Least to Greatest Distance Traveled, and Port or Starboard Turn. If Hedghog node works then Great! Coding AI units to deploy this Attack would be deadly!
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 10:19 AM   #70
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Any news here ?
Old 04-23-16, 04:08 AM   #71
gap
Navy Seal

Icon7

Hi Fahnenbohn.

Sorry for my long silence but I, like LGN1, have been pretty busy with real life during the last weeks, and to make things worse, the web connection in the country where I am currently living is a real PITA.

Anyway, today I have sent a PM to LGN1, and if everything goes well, there might be some fresh news relative to our project during the next weeks. I am sorry to be so vague, but I cant tell you more at this time.
Old 04-23-16, 05:18 AM   #72
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Old 04-23-16, 02:48 PM   #73
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi guys,

sorry for the late reply. I have finished the readme and hope to release a version for testing soon.

Best, LGN1

@gap: I have not received any pm
Old 04-24-16, 01:53 PM   #74
gap
Navy Seal

@LGM1

Sorry mate. I wrote the PM from my smartphone, and I probably pushed the wrong button

I sent you another PM. I hope you received it this time
Old 04-24-16, 02:57 PM   #75
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Yours must b the only smart phone in 'Grate' Zimbabwe!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote