SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-07-17, 05:49 PM   #1
subcritical
Watch

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default CW 1.08c on Mac -- Fullscreen problems

Hi,

Anyone else running this on a mac? If so let me know if your having the same issues. Not sure anyone but the dev can help, but here are a couple of issues I'm having.

1. First, great game. I'm really loving it. This is an issue because I'm spending too much time! The next ones are real issues, but I didn't want to come across as negative on the game!

2. On loading the game, 9 times out of 10 the game loads to the main screen, but then goes to another desktop or program. I need to command-TAB to the game to start running it. This may be due to me running multiple spaces (or desktops) using the mission control app.

3. The dock and the menu bar are still active, so the game does not appear to be truly full screen. In case a dev reads this, I don't know how you have ported the game, but in X-Code you could do the following on the window Open event;
self.LiveResize = False
self.MenuBarVisible = false
self.FullScreen = true

4. This is somewhat related to 3. Since the dock is put in some sort of auto-hide mode when the game launches, the dock opens up whenever you hover near the bottom of the screen. This is right where I have my hud displays. Also, when I exit the game I need to go into Settings > Dock and a) enable Automatically hide and show the dock, then b) disable Automatically hide and show the dock. This gets my dock to behave how I like it.

Thanks for listening. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix which doesn't involve me buying a PC or using bootcamp I'd like to hear it.

-sub
subcritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 02:31 AM   #2
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Is this on a macbook or something similar?
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 10:39 AM   #3
subcritical
Watch

Its on a late 2014 iMac.
Old 10-08-17, 11:06 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

subcritical!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 12:10 PM   #5
subcritical
Watch

Ok, here is a small movie of what I'm talking about.

FYI. in this movie the shifting to another desktop does not occur (issue 2) and the autohide of the dock on program close also does not appear (issue 4). I don't know why it was happening before. If it starts to re-occur I'll get a movie of it. Most important is to not have the dock appear immediately after I hear 'Torpedo in the water!'

Also, in the video I actually went into the mission in order for you to see the dock cover the hud's. The same behavior exists through all screens/menus.
Old 10-08-17, 02:24 PM   #6
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

I'm guessing we would have to build the mac version with these xcode settings you posted.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 03:00 AM   #7
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

What is your screen resolution? The aspect ratio looks weird and is giving you those vertical borders.

You could try loading the game, go to Options/Video, then go to the resolution and click Apply. This will re-calculate the screen size and might fix those side bar issues.

Also when doing this, be sure Full Screen is on to see if this impacts the dock bar and menu bar.

If anything breaks horribly, you can delete your options.txt file and reload.
Library/Application Support/unity.Killerfish Games.Cold Waters/options.txt
Old 10-09-17, 06:13 AM   #8
subcritical
Watch

5120-by-2880. If I select 2560x1440 those borders go away. In game it is no issue.

The borders are also not always white as in the video. When issue 2 and 4 crop up they turn red. BTW, issue 2 and 4 popped up again. I don't have time to get a video of it now, but later today i'll create one and post it.
Old 10-09-17, 06:27 AM   #9
subcritical
Watch

Ok, found some time this morning. Here is the video;

It appears the borders are going away after I select 2560x1440, but on a restart the border reappears, although it is about 1/3 the size of the border at full resolution. In the video I went to the video selection and simply hit Apply and the borders went away.

While screen recording I was not able to show the desktop switcher, but when my screen goes to the blank desktop, this is the behavior that requires a Command-Tab to get back to Cold Waters.

Edit: Fixed link

Last edited by subcritical; 10-09-17 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 06:58 PM   #10
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

If you open options.txt, what is the screen resolution?
If it is not 5120x2880, change it to that and see if it now always defaults to your native resolution on start up.
Old 10-13-17, 05:51 AM   #11
subcritical
Watch

hmmm.. I can't seem to find an options.txt file. Is it supposed to be in the 'default' folder under 'streaming assets'?
Old 10-13-17, 11:46 AM   #12
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

In Windows it's in the User's AppData. Have no idea where Linux would put it.

Suggest you use the Terminal and some kind of command like "find" or "whereis" to bypass the limitations of the desktop GUI.
If you are using a Windows emulator: open CMD in administrator mode "dir drive\path\filename"

-Pv-

Last edited by -Pv-; 10-13-17 at 12:52 PM.
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 02:07 PM   #13
subcritical
Watch

I've already used finder to do the search with no hits. But you are correct. Since apps are seen as packages in finder I probably need to run the find command in terminal to get a more complete search.
Old 10-13-17, 05:52 PM   #14
subcritical
Watch

Found it! (/Users/john/Library/Application Support/unity.Killerfish Games.Cold Waters/options.txt). Though the resolution was already listed correctly.

The borders are really not that big of deal to me. One interesting note. When the borders appear after in campaign mode, the campaign map shows up in the white zones on the left and right of the screen (instead of the white).

John