SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-13, 05:05 PM   #301
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by test_m4a1 View Post
...it still crashes without any reason... It crashes all the time when ...i aproach convoy or getting closer terrain.
I had the same problem. Nobody could help me, so I I had to uninstall this nice mod.
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 05:58 PM   #302
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Off the top of my head, assuming the install of the game isn't a clean one that wasn't previously modded - it might an issue with the campaign files calling on a non existent unit in the data/sea directory. OR perhaps a unit that has a unit type mismatch from the cfg file data/sea directory and the coresponding cfg file in the roster directory.

Mind you, this mod was a beta, and no dedicated team working on it. Something somewhere is bound to be buggy. Frankly I'm amazed anyone is even looking at it today. Truth be told, at the time I was working on this, my level of burnout on modding was such that unless i had major interest in it, I wasn't going to continue with it. Now, sorry to say, I think that time has passed, as I have zero interest in modding anything anymore. I have since moved on to other hobbies and pursuits. I do thank everyone for any kind words spoken. If any person, or group of persons (regardless of any past history in modding) is enterprising enough to take this mod further for non commercial reasons, you have my expressed permission to do so; just cite your source, that's all I ask.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 07:13 PM   #303
test_m4a1
Helmsman

Downloads: 199

Im just shocked that anyone else beside me and Josef von Posorschitz didnt have this kind of problem. I didnt want to bother You @ Ducimus, I just thought someone had this problem and it was fixked or there was some patch to install.

How is that possible that the rest of people dont have this bugs like we does?

Its realy pice of art Ducimus, even after 5mins of playing i can say that, Gee give me the tip how to solve crashing of game and ill be happy...
test_m4a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 11:38 AM   #304
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

To test m4a1, welcome to SubSim!

Thought I'd chime in here.

Not that what Ducimus has said isn't correct, but to further look at the problem of CTD's, I need for you to tell me what's your computer specs? What Windows version are you using? How much ram memory do you have? Video card?

The fact that your getting freezing or CTD's doesn't mean it's completly related to the mod. Now a days the computer is usually the culprit when you try and run a 6 year old game, based on slower running specs of old.

An example is that just 6 years ago, very few flat screen LCD 1920x1080 resolution monitors were in existance. The game was meant to run on analog screens, on a monitor that weighed as much as two cinder blocks!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 11:43 AM   #305
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome to SubSim Test m4a1!

And good luck.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 01:35 PM   #306
test_m4a1
Helmsman

Hi CapnScurvy!

Thanks for answering my problem. I thought about it but normal SH4 or Operation Monsun worked without any problems thats why i thought computer its not a problem.

Here are my computer specifications:

Windows 7 Professional 64x SP1
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU 3.30GHz (4)
RAM 8GB
NVidia GeForce GTX 670
LG Flatron E2242 21"

I think i did everything according to instalation list, clean SH4 1.5 and then ND2 only by JSGME. Its weird because it is not crashing when i meet single ship, only convoys, ALWAYS Cape of Good Hope line and sometimes on sea, maybe some files missing or im missing some patch? Im playing on 1920x1080 without vertical sync but even with it enabled its still the same.

I apologize for my english

Last edited by test_m4a1; 02-26-13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 03:31 PM   #307
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Your English is just fine!! Believe me, I've read posts from American's that would make anyone shake their head.

Quote:
Windows 7 Professional 64x SP1
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU 3.30GHz (4)
RAM 8GB
NVidia GeForce GTX 670
LG Flatron E2242 21"

Its weird because it is not crashing when i meet single ship, only convoys.....
That's not too surprising because rendering more than one ship pulls a lot more memory than a single model.

As I suspected, you have plenty of ram, along with Windows 7, 64bit. I don't have Windows 7 (Vista 64) on my desk top computer, nor do I have the memory you have (less than 3 Gb), BUT I'm suspecting the issue has to do with your system not being able to use the power it has with a game that never dreamed systems would be this powerful. The game itself needs to be "told" to use the available ram you have (at least a larger amount of it than what the game expected to run on). Back in 2007 when the game was released, no one thought the need to access more than a single gig of ram was necessary. Earlier Operating Systems didn't expect to either, so as things developed the computer’s hardware over reached the software's normal expectations.

You may want to look at this application called Large Address Aware. It makes changes to the execution file of the game, telling it to use more ram memory than the original. Thus doing a better job rendering the things that would slow down the computer that's limited not by the hardware, but by the older software.

Before you do, take a look at this thread. As Bifutake points out, his CTD's were due to my 3000 yard/meter Bearing Tool (which uses a lot of memory, much like running into a convoy of a half dozen ships). The important part for you is this site, which explains the problem, and provides a solution for those with the size of memory you have, AND the OS you're using. I hope it helps you.

I can vouch for the Large Address Adware helping with a laptop I sometimes use. It's OS is Windows 7, with 4Gb of ram. It stopped the CTD's I always had after a few minutes of play with an older game like SH4.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 02-26-13, 04:55 PM   #308
test_m4a1
Helmsman

Thanks for such a long answer where You were trying to solve my problem )))

Anyway You gave me 3 links in Your answer. By the Proces Monitor i noticed that Your tip is right, its due to RAM problem.

I think its because the game as You said has to be told to use more RAM - but here im stuck because in Your two others links, first isn't helpfull because the option included to "memory boost" is already hitched in my sh4.exe. Second link says to patch it and i did but the problem is still the same and now i dont know what to do

Here is a PrtSC of my monitor proces. according to Monitor process there is something to change in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\USERProcessHandleQuota but i dont know if it has to be changed and how? is it nessesery?

I dont know what to do now, i patched it by LAA, memory boost is already done.

Im realy, realy thanks to You CapnScurvy, for help! Im sorry that im bothering You and taking Your time.

Last edited by test_m4a1; 02-10-15 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 06:30 PM   #309
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Your English is just fine!! Believe me, I've read posts from American's that would make anyone shake their head.
Hey. I live right in the middle of where all that bad grammar must have originated from.

Southern Missouri. The Heartland.

"Hey Phil, I done seen one of them big ol' deer down by where me and Tim went fishin' that one day."

And I'm thankful that I live in the country. There is no better place to live than the country...
Old 02-26-13, 09:00 PM   #310
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by test_m4a1 View Post

Here is a PrtSC of my monitor proces. according to Monitor process there is something to change in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\USERProcessHandleQuota but i dont know if it has to be changed and how? is it necessary?

I don't know what to do now, i patched it by LAA, memory boost is already done.
To tell the truth, I wouldn't know what to make of the memory usage image from the process monitor.

AND, I'm not sure about it's idea to want to change something in the Registry of the computer? Did the app explain just what you're supposed to change in the Registry, at the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\USERProcessHandleQuota entry? On my Vista system this entry has a "Data: 0x00002710 (10000)" entry. What's it mean? I've not got a clue!

The Registry isn't something to just start changing without knowing what you're doing. I've done it before....... removed entries that aren't needed, or even tell the Registry I've registered software (when I hadn't), but you really need to be careful in there.

When I looked at this site for explaining just what to do, it seems the downloaded Explorer Suite program at NT Core, the "CFF Explorer", is the program that actually opens up the Registry and makes the changes as described. So, you won't need to open the Registry through the command prompt and hunt for the entries yourself.

If you've downloaded the "CFF Explorer", and have followed the directions from the Subsowespac.org exactly as they say, I'm not sure what else you can do.

You might want to reinstall the game as directed by this sticky "How to re-install SH4". One thing I've learned with my Vista 64 bit install is NOT to allow the game to default install to the "Program Files (x86)" folder. For some reason Vista doesn't like you to put games into this folder.....they won't run right. I've always put the game in it's own folder directly under the C:/ drive, or the D:/ drive. Games should not go to the Program Files (x86) folder. I can't speak for Windows 7, but take the advice for what it's worth.

==============

Hey Red, I'm country too. Bred and raised cattle and show hogs for years. I say I'm from Dayton (which I am), but for the last 25 years I live where you can scratch where it itches and nobody is going to see. Can't get any more country than this!

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 02-26-13 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 11:23 PM   #311
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Hey Red, I'm country too. Bred and raised cattle and show hogs for years. I say I'm from Dayton (which I am), but for the last 25 years I live where you can scratch where it itches and nobody is going to see. Can't get any more country than this!
Don't ya just love the country?

Hunting, Fishing, etc... We don't own a farm but I'm a redneck in other ways. I'm not as redneck as some other people around here though. I've gotten to the point to where if we take vacations to the City that I'll be relieved to be home afterwards.

Guns, Hunting Deer/anything else that moves, fishing, eating what we hunted, waking up to a sunrise over cornfields in the summer, etc... I live smack in the middle of the woods with a neighbor's fields around us so I get my share. Cows to the one side and Corn/Beans on the other.

I wouldn't have it any other way. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the internet options aren't too great out here. It's well worth it though.
Old 02-27-13, 09:36 AM   #312
test_m4a1
Helmsman

I have the same number in Register Key as You do, i have even changed it for higher number but its still the same.

I read all You wrote, all this sites, maybe im doing something wrong or not according to what they are saying but my english isnt perfect to understand ALL on this sites

Anyway i surrender, i dont know what to do more... Obviously there is not other way to play this mod...

It obviously need to be unlocked to use more RAM but i dont know how to do it ;/

Thanks for Your time CapnScurvy, a lot!! Ill remember about it
Old 02-27-13, 10:21 AM   #313
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
So have I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Hey. I live right in the middle of where all that bad grammar must have originated from.
Then you should have caught that.
Old 02-27-13, 01:33 PM   #314
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Test m4a1, don't give in just yet. I've got a couple of more things to try.

I mentioned this before, but a fresh install of the game is important. Mods have a way of corrupting your main SH4 game files. You'll get all kinds of strange behavior with the game when the main game files go bad. When this happens there's only one way of checking for sure what (if anything) has been altered. JSGME has a "Snapshot" feature found in its "Tasks..." menu. You take the original "SnapShot" of your game files just after a fresh install of the game, and adding JSGME to it. Don't bother to take a "Snapshot" of the files after you've had mods added/run in the game. It's too late to know whether the files have been changed after adding a mod, even if its removed from the "Activation" list. The "Snapshot" is stored in the JSGME "MODS" folder.

**It's important to note that if you take a "Snapshot" of a clean install, yet decide it's easier to copy/paste a previous "MODS" folder from an earlier time, you've just removed your clean "Snapshot" file and replaced it with something else. It's better to copy/paste each mod from an earlier MODS folder than it is to switch out the new for the old. This way you won't lose your good Snapshot.

You may have already made a clean Snapshot of your existing game files. If you did.....congratulations, you're one of the few who have read the JSGME instructions! To compare the original Snapshot to the files you have now, remove all mods from the "Activation" list. It's OK to keep them in the MODS folder, just don't have them activated in-game.

You can expect to see a file named SI.bin appear as a "New" file. It's added every time the game is run for the first time. You may also see a "New" image file added if you took an in-game screen shot. Other than these, the comparison should not show any differences. If it does, you'll need to check what they are by scrolling through the files. If the changed files look like their important, the correct thing to do is reinstall the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Off the top of my head, assuming the install of the game isn't a clean one that wasn't previously modded - it might an issue with the campaign files calling on a non existent unit in the data/sea directory. OR perhaps a unit that has a unit type mismatch from the cfg file data/sea directory and the coresponding cfg file in the roster directory.
First off.....Good to hear from you Duci!! Nice to know you're still around my friend!

What Ducimus is talking about with the renaming of the "Unit Type" is something I've run into before with his mods and Lurkers too. Both of these modders have renamed the "Unit Types" of a few of their ship entries. What you'll get are CTD's when you run across one of these units if everything isn't in order with the various files that need to call the unit by the same name, or type.

The best way of checking the integrity of the added/changed units is to open the Museum feature and open each ship, plane, sub entry, and see if you get a CTD as you look at each unit. If you do, the best way to figure out which unit has the problem is to work back (from the opposite direction of the Museum list) and keep track of which ships, planes etc. open and run ok. You'll eventually run up the list until you find the culprit (or maybe even more than one). By the process of "elimination" you'll find the offending unit. After this, you'll need to open the particular unit and figure out what's wrong with it. As Ducimus says, it could be as simple as correcting the folder Data/Sea/UnitsName(NAPD_Clemson)/UnitsName(NAPD_Clemson).cfg file for the unit in-question, and having the "Unit Type" read the same as the folder "Roster/Names.cfg" file lists it; or in the units specific folder found in the Data/Roster/Country(American)/Type(Sea)/UnitsName(APDClemson).cfg file.

It's worth checking, as Ducimus said this is a work-in-progress mod, things could always need checking and fixing.

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 02-27-13 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 02:35 PM   #315
test_m4a1
Helmsman

I sent You PM CapnScurvy!