SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-18, 03:52 PM   #1
mildlymenacingmeem
Swabbie

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default My torpedo's depth isn't the same as I set in the attack map.

Hi,

The title speaks for itself. I usually set the depth of the torpedo equal to the draft of the ship for maximum flooding possible and it works most of the time.
But as I snuck upon a large merchant today I fired a salvo of 3 torpedoes from 4km away and only 2 of them managed to go off and impact the ship. The
third one had a depth much deeper than the others which I noticed when I went to external camera mode. This is also the reason why I never use impact
and only magnetic, because it just doesn't work. I set the depth about half of the ship's draft and the torpedo doesn't dive or rise to the correct depth.
Is this a well-known bug? I am NOT using manual targeting.

Thanks in advance,
Mildly
mildlymenacingmeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 07:39 PM   #2
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7

Torpedoes, especially in the early years, were notorious for both duds and depth keeping difficulties. It's not unusual for them to run substantially deeper than their settings. Also, in bad weather (heavy, rolling seas) setting shallow run depths often result in either the torpedo breaching (breaking the surface) or running extremely deep.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 07:52 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Doesn't the Ship ID Book give numbers about hull depth and/or generic advice about torpedo depth setting? I would aim a little higher than these numbers.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 05:27 PM   #4
mildlymenacingmeem
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
Torpedoes, especially in the early years, were notorious for both duds and depth keeping difficulties. It's not unusual for them to run substantially deeper than their settings. Also, in bad weather (heavy, rolling seas) setting shallow run depths often result in either the torpedo breaching (breaking the surface) or running extremely deep.

Ah, So it's a feature then (lol). Seriously though thanks for a small history lesson in torpedoes. I've always suspected the game with GWX of not being as accurate as people make it out to be but I guess it's somewhat true. Very commendable of the guys to go the extra mile for the little details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Doesn't the Ship ID Book give numbers about hull depth and/or generic advice about torpedo depth setting? I would aim a little higher than these numbers.

You mean the recognition manual? Not really so much advice as it just gives basic info about a ship type in question. See here:
Old 07-09-18, 08:13 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Yep, here it says 'Draft 6,6m'. I would set torpedo about 3m to be safe. But that's not a guarantee they will explode of course, the impact-type ones were faulty early war (especially if not hit at right angle 90°), and magnetic ones may just not detonate, they were a real disaster... Later in the war there were still duds but less often.

You can change that in the game options (no dud torpedos) if it frustrates you.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-09-18 at 08:23 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 02:00 AM   #6
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

If you use H.sie hard core fixes,look is the option "torpedo failure fix" selected !
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 07:13 AM   #7
mildlymenacingmeem
Swabbie

Thanks for the insight, guys. 'Tis a very helpful forum you got here.