SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-19, 05:40 AM   #1
coldDynamic
Swabbie

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1
gear [Deck Gun] Sound mod not working or crashing game?

Hello all,

I have been working on a mod for the deck gun sound that replaces the default sound provided by the file "P09_$Gun_muzzle_flash", however when I replace the file the sound either does not play (only playing the very first part of the deck gun sequence, sounds like tapping a tin can before ending) or alternatively crashes the game.

Is file size an issue with a deck gun sound mod replacement? The default "Gun_muzzle_flash" file is 272KB, the new .WAV file I have created blends multiple sounds/voices and comes up at 1.29MB. Does SH3 cap the file size of this sound each time a shot is fired?

Otherwise I thought duration might be a factor. The default sound has a 3 second run time, whereas my new sound runs for 7 seconds (almost the whole reload time for the 88mm gun, as I have put sounds of of the blast, gun breech, empty shell and shouted commands). Perhaps the run time is too long for SH3 to play the sound properly?

Any help or info on why this may be occurring would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
coldDynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 06:01 AM   #2
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Deck Gun sound mod already exists

Check out: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3568

It adds files for P03 & P09 and includes voice saying "Los", firing of the shell and clanging sound of casing hitting the deck. Works for both size deck guns. I've set SH3 Commander to allow firing every 5 seconds; I'd say this would be the minimum based on length of sound files. But, for more realism you might up the minimum to 6 or higher seconds.

I hope you find this helpful.
Old 01-23-19, 06:38 AM   #3
coldDynamic
Swabbie

Hi von Zelda,

I have had issues with that particular mod in the past unfortunately, the shell will leave the gun before the gunner says "los" and resulting blast sound occurs after the gun has already finished firing

I have spent a fairly long time creating this one and would like to get it working if it is possible, but many thanks all the same!
Old 01-23-19, 07:17 AM   #4
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 0

Try as a mono file
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 11:42 AM   #5
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldDynamic View Post
Hi von Zelda,

I have had issues with that particular mod in the past unfortunately, the shell will leave the gun before the gunner says "los" and resulting blast sound occurs after the gun has already finished firing
Agreed, gunner says "los", shell flash is seen and blast sound is immediately heard. I questioned this myself; but, I justified this as, sound travels slower than light and sight. And, this is the best and only deck gun mod I have.

When you complete yours, I hope soon, you'll upload it for the rest of us to download and use. Remember, apparently and I don't know why, there are 2 sound files that need to be modified: P03 and P09.
Old 01-24-19, 07:49 AM   #6
coldDynamic
Swabbie

Thank you ivanov.ruslan! Converting the existing files I created to mono format has made both of them work perfectly!

von Zelda - I have asked permission from the admins to upload this to the downloads section for SH3, will do so as soon as I am able.

Last edited by coldDynamic; 01-24-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 09:25 AM   #7
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 0

For nothing
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-19, 01:13 AM   #8
coldDynamic
Swabbie

Hi all,

Uploaded, please try it and let me know what you think, thank you for all the help

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5416