Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-18, 02:10 AM   #1
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default Issues with installing tWoS mod

Hey folks,

sorry if this is redunant. couldnt find anyone with a similar issue on the forum. I did a clean install of SH5 and its patched to 1.2.

Installed the steel wolves mod per instruction to the silent hunter 5 folder.

Installs and im still only left with the SH5 vanilla .exe

Im wondering how you get the Steel wolves mod executable?

Thank you all
Old 01-31-18, 06:33 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi TM
Quote:
Im wondering how you get the Steel wolves mod executable?
There is not one.
The default SH5.exe is the only game exe.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 10:30 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Pardon, yes there should be one: It's the one patched from TDW Generic patcher, if you look at the date of SH5.exe you see the very date where you have patched. (If you did all correctly.)
It seems that you messed up the procedure. Repeat the TDW Generic Patcher, find the instructions in the related PDF file, TWoS has already made a shortcut on your computer, chose the patcher symbol and read carefully how to proceed.

Again my warning: Steam versions of the game will not be fully patched with that, creating problems for the game later on (campaign transfers). There must be a reason why Weco (vdr1981) hasn't removed the 'Not For Steam' warning right at the beginning.

Cheers,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-31-18 at 11:29 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 02:01 PM   #4
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Pardon, yes there should be one: It's the one patched from TDW Generic patcher, if you look at the date of SH5.exe you see the very date where you have patched. (If you did all correctly.)
It seems that you messed up the procedure.

Cheers,
I'm not sure you read original post correctly, its asks if there should be a Wolves of Steel. exe after install which there is not . It is still SH5.exe
The SH5.exe is still the only .exe to start the game and if Wolves of Steel has been enabled all is good
The TDW Generic Patcher and Wolves of Steel are 2 totally separate entities. It is amongst other things a tool for patching the SH5.exe with bug fixes. It is recommended for use with WOS or most other mods
The changes to the Game executable (SH5.exe) would not be immediately obvious so I would not assume the procedure was messed up ( It still looks exactly the same as the Vanilla )
It is easy to see if Wolves of steel is running ok by starting the game in the normal way the loading screen will of changed from the Stock Silent Hunter with the red loading bar to the Wolves of Steel loading screen

Bringing in the TDW Generic Patcher to the mix is over complicating a fairly simple question. The Answer, there is no Wolves of Steel executable to get/find, the Mod enabled with JSGME
Old 01-31-18, 03:08 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

SH5.exe will be changed after the generic patcher, a way to know if things have been patched correctly, and other 4 files also patched. And AFAIK, no, it's not only recommended it's necessary, only that other mods don't tell about and you see a lot of posts about SH5 not working here in the forums. Also it's the only serious reason why Steam versions don't work: It cannot be patched, end of the story.

Quote from TWoS thread:
Step 3:
Properly activate TDW Generic Patcher and restore "TWoS 2.0_Snapshot.gps". The patcher, snapshot and install instructions are already placed in the main game folder (Silent Hunter 5/TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_168_0).
How to properly activate TDW Generic Patcher.
(Steam version doesn't support generic patcher and therefore this expansion too) Advanced workaround for Steam users

Forget about the 'Advanced workaround for Steam users', instead get a non-Steam game version. Or please Subsim.com make these famous 5 patched files ready for download...This would also allow us to bypass the hilarious step 3 above (and make Steam users happy).
Alas I understand that this is not possible without permission of Ubisoft or its relegate licensees. The losers are the Steam buyers.

To know if TWoS or your mods work correctly, start a single mission, fire your torpedos. If they circle around you know the game is not setup correctly. Then, if you can go past several campaign chapters without trouble then your SH5 game works ok. Most of the starting players don't go until there and think they are fine, but it ain't so, not with the Steam versions, and not with any UPlay crap... I haven't seen...

***> 1 <***

... serious post in Steam that the game works. For those saying the contrary, I just don't believe they have played very far in the game...

But I'll stop from now giving advices, they go in the void. I have already answered OP in the Steam forum, so he is warned.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-31-18 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-31-18, 05:16 PM   #6
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 69

Thank you all for your input. Although I have seen a couple YouTube videos of people having a separate twos executable aside from the sh5.exe.

I figured out my issue and I did indeed have the incorrect file path for the mod installation.

And yes for me the SH5.exe launches the modded version.

Thank you all. Love this group of guys.
Old 02-09-18, 11:46 AM   #7
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
SH5.exe will be changed after the generic patcher, a way to know if things have been patched correctly, and other 4 files also patched. And AFAIK, no, it's not only recommended it's necessary, only that other mods don't tell about and you see a lot of posts about SH5 not working here in the forums. Also it's the only serious reason why Steam versions don't work: It cannot be patched, end of the story.
Thanks for the WARNING Please try to make sure your info is accurate and up to date apart from the quote this is not the case. Although there has historically problems with Steam versions most have been fixed or had workarounds . There are no reasons why it cannot be patched refer to TheBerbsters guide on how or check out the Wolves of Steel thread

Regards

Simon
Old 02-09-18, 10:46 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post
Thanks for the WARNING Please try to make sure your info is accurate and up to date apart from the quote this is not the case. Although there has historically problems with Steam versions most have been fixed or had workarounds . There are no reasons why it cannot be patched refer to TheBerbsters guide on how or check out the Wolves of Steel thread

Regards

Simon
You look foolish with your necro post, things have changed very recently only - and you know that if judging from your replies in the mod section...
So you are not honest I think, Weco has only a few days ago published a solution for Steam users, so don't take the honey out of it to make you look competent...and me as an idiot...
You should have better things to do really...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-09-18 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 10:47 AM   #9
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

its a solution to a different problem and its Vecko not Weco
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote