SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-16, 05:58 PM   #16
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

And I just finish here with this quote from Historynet

What must never be forgotten is the fact that just over 50 years ago, submariners were forced to engage the enemy for 18 months with ordnance that proved to be at least 70 percent unreliable.
Often, Japanese merchantmen would enter port with unexploded Mark XIV torpedoes thrust into their hulls.
Despite the problems with ordnance, American submariners, a mere two percent of U.S. naval personnel, sank more than 1,178 merchant vessels and 214 warships, totalling more than 5,600,000 tons.
They sacrificed 52 submarines, 374 officers and 3,131 enlisted men from their close-knit ranks.
The Silent Service suffered 40 percent of all naval casualties in the Pacific, yet managed to destroy 55 percent of all Japanese ships.
American submarines succeeded where the Germans had twice failed–in the systematic and complete blockade of an island nation.

One can only speculate as to the war’s outcome had there been reliable torpedoes available from the onset.
As for the American submarine campaign against Japan, we must always honor its sacrifices, take pride in its accomplishments and continue to learn from its mistakes–mistakes that fostered a scandal described by Clay Blair, Jr., as ‘the worst in the history of any kind of warfare.’

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-16, 06:46 PM   #17
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
And I just finish here with this quote from Historynet

What must never be forgotten is the fact that just over 50 years ago, submariners were forced to engage the enemy for 18 months with ordnance that proved to be at least 70 percent unreliable.
Often, Japanese merchantmen would enter port with unexploded Mark XIV torpedoes thrust into their hulls.
Despite the problems with ordnance, American submariners, a mere two percent of U.S. naval personnel, sank more than 1,178 merchant vessels and 214 warships, totalling more than 5,600,000 tons.
They sacrificed 52 submarines, 374 officers and 3,131 enlisted men from their close-knit ranks.
The Silent Service suffered 40 percent of all naval casualties in the Pacific, yet managed to destroy 55 percent of all Japanese ships.
American submarines succeeded where the Germans had twice failed–in the systematic and complete blockade of an island nation.

One can only speculate as to the war’s outcome had there been reliable torpedoes available from the onset.
As for the American submarine campaign against Japan, we must always honor its sacrifices, take pride in its accomplishments and continue to learn from its mistakes–mistakes that fostered a scandal described by Clay Blair, Jr., as ‘the worst in the history of any kind of warfare.’

Greetings, my friend. Don't be a stranger, stop by the home thread and say Hi.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-16, 07:25 PM   #18
max-peck
Grey Wolf

And this is the one I have been looking for

I am sure I remember an account of a sub managing to stop a tanker with a few torpedoes, but then firing another 10 torpedoes without having a single hit, all of them duds, and the skipper saving the last torpedo, bringing it back to base to shame the commander into fixing the damn things

Turns out this actually happened

Lieutenant Commander L.R. “Dan” Daspit
USS TINOSA (SS-283)
At 0555 on the morning of 24 July 1943

Read it for yourselves
http://ussnautilus.org/blog/tinosas-terrible-torpedoes/

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 11-17-16, 08:49 PM   #19
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:

<snip>

4 - This one is a real doozy Very occasionally either the gyro or rudder will get stuck on full lock(I cannot remember now which one was the source of the problem). The torpedo will now circle back and attempt to sink you
Never mind - the exploders are so lousy it probably won't go off
There is at least one (possibly two) recorded instances during the Pacific Submarine War of a submarine being sunk by its own torpedo (The names of the boats escape me now)

<snip>
Chuckling here...

This thread is about a game technique named for the Captain of the U.S.S Tang, (Richard O'Kane) one of the known recorded instances of a submarine being sunk by its own torpedo. Just pointing out a small irony here... LOL.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-16, 09:04 PM   #20
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Note that I was being very quiet there.....
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-16, 03:02 AM   #21
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
Chuckling here...

This thread is about a game technique named for the Captain of the U.S.S Tang, (Richard O'Kane) one of the known recorded instances of a submarine being sunk by its own torpedo. Just pointing out a small irony here... LOL.
Of course - I did not even see that

Feeling a little bit ashamed now

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 11-18-16, 09:15 AM   #22
dergrunty
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Nice write up max-peck and thanks for the welcome.
I indeed have duds turned on and even knew about the unreliability of american torpedoes, however I kept thinking that I had made an error somewhere, since I'm still pretty new to SH4

Quote:
4 - This one is a real doozy Very occasionally either the gyro or rudder will get stuck on full lock(I cannot remember now which one was the source of the problem). The torpedo will now circle back and attempt to sink you
That actually happened to me at one point. Fired two torpedoes at the target, checked the attack map and noticed that one of then was making a hard left turn
I put the sub in full reverse and watched as the torpedo passed about 10m (well probably more but it looked close) in front of me.
That would have been a fitting end to my career, wasting about 15 torpedoes with misses and at the end sinking myself with one...
Old 11-18-16, 04:14 PM   #23
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergrunty View Post
Nice write up max-peck and thanks for the welcome.
I indeed have duds turned on and even knew about the unreliability of american torpedoes, however I kept thinking that I had made an error somewhere, since I'm still pretty new to SH4

That actually happened to me at one point. Fired two torpedoes at the target, checked the attack map and noticed that one of then was making a hard left turn
I put the sub in full reverse and watched as the torpedo passed about 10m (well probably more but it looked close) in front of me.
That would have been a fitting end to my career, wasting about 15 torpedoes with misses and at the end sinking myself with one...

German U-boats with homing torpedoes would dive after launching since the torpedoes could hear them and would sometimes turn around and go after the U-boat...

Might not be a bad idea when in deep water to follow that example, if it is a circle runner, then it would pass above you.

You lose the ability to know exactly were the ships are, but you aren't sunk either....

Quote:
Of course - I did not even see that

Feeling a little bit ashamed now
At first glance I was thinking "I forget the names too", then after a minute, "wait, that sub was commanded by Dick O'Kane, and it was sunk by a circle runner...", he must me making a joke...

Then again.....

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-16, 04:54 PM   #24
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I indeed have duds turned on and even knew about the unreliability of american torpedoes
Apologies for lecturing you on something you already know about
But the US Torpedo Scandal is a bit of a pet peeve of mine
Every time I read about it - even though I know all about it - I still get very angry

Quote:
And don't you know - that will be the one bloody time the exploder actually works

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
At first glance I was thinking "I forget the names too", then after a minute, "wait, that sub was commanded by Dick O'Kane, and it was sunk by a circle runner...", he must me making a joke...

Then again.....
I would love to pretend I was being very clever and joking about not knowing the name of the Boat

The truth is dissapointing

Just plain forgot

Still feel like a bit of a dumbass though

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 11-18-16, 06:58 PM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:

Well, we have a couple hundred great-looking ships in Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition that say that's certainly not true!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-16, 10:08 PM   #26
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:

The truth is dissapointing

Just plain forgot

(what happened is commonly known as a brain fart) happens to all of us at one time or another)

and no reason to feel like a dumbass... my post above was not meant to make you feel that way. In fact, I've made similar gaffes in real life also!

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-16, 06:45 AM   #27
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
my post above was not meant to make you feel that way. In fact, I've made similar gaffes in real life also!
Hey - no worries mate
I'm just joking

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 09-30-18, 12:07 PM   #28
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default Missing Astern -

Quote:
Missing astern is usually torpedo doors not opened or bad target speed determinaton.

Missing ahead is using fast torpedoes and doing a calculation for slow ones (using the TDC makes that error impossible) or bad target speed determination.

If you enter starboard AoB instead of a correct port AoB or versa visa you'll miss astern.
Well, I missed astern and thought it was me not opening the door - which I'll stop doing.

But when I try to change the speed of torps (I have the ones with a range of 4000/8000yds approx) I am unable to change the speed from Low to High.

Should I reinstall V1.4? or the basic vers 1.3? Or is there a better fix? I was able to change the speed when I just had V 1.3 installed.

Thanks,
LarryT
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 12:37 PM   #29
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

So you're using a store-bought disk with v1.3 disk, upgraded to v1.4 with the Ubisoft file (downloaded from either here or there)? Or are you using a Steam v1.3, which is what you get when you purchase their "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific"? If you have Steam, you have to use their "U-Boat Missions Add-on" to upgrade to v1.5. They do not do a v1.4... An easier solution for v1.5 is to purchase the full "Gold Edition". I still have v1.4 active on my old WinXP machine, but I have the Gold Edition as my regularly played game on the big computer (I have three copies of the game, and two of SH3... - yes, I are nutz... ).

My 2nd purchase of SH4 was a v1.3 disk, which I kept at v1.4 for the longest of time, it seemed, and I finally broke-down and bought the v1.5 UBoat Missions Add-on in like 2010 or 11. It is worlds better than v1.4, even though I seldom "Change Sides" and play the UBoats. If I do play the Uboats, I'm generally doing Operation Monsun by lurker_hlb3 - but I haven't tried KSDII yet either...

Big thing though, are you using any mods? Using a mod not explicitly made for v1.4 of the game can cause some strange issues (especially a torp-altering mod), if the game even runs at all. If the torps are Mk 14s, then you should be able to switch the speed, though sometimes it can be a bother getting the switch to click. You might have to go to your Torpedo Screen in the game, and look and make certain you don't have Mk 18s in there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote