Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-18, 08:18 AM   #1
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0
Default Nivida cards

I have a nivida card on my rig Gt 710 with 2gb of RAM , however as I have reconfigured my settings .. I have still after following the advice of other users , still I am only getting 12-15 fps while in game . I am running windows 7 professional as my OS .here is a screen shots of my comp

What are some settings and other advice that can be used to increase frame rates i have done all the shaders way down in the game

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-18, 09:15 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Optimal FPS settings can depend on 100s of things, I whish you good luck in searching and tweaking...

Important is that you don't run other CPU-demanding processes and chose the right scaling options for your card which are: Fullscreen + 'scaling with Desktop' which I do on my rig for best results with SH5 (other games differ!), but obviously this may differ on your system showing other results.

Also with only 2GB VRAM (if your settings are maxed out, I don't know), your card doesn't have huge memory to allow you to run many background processes without influencing your game performance badly, and sorry, with that card you shouldn't hope getting your fps sky-rocket...

Then, the FPS number doesn't have any absolute value, saying that 15 FPS can be very good for some games while being a breaker in other games (all other settings being equal), so it largely depends on the game coding. In my case I did not look once at my fps in SH5, it just runs fluidly and that's enough for me (NVidia GTX-960, 4GB VRAM), I don't bother to see that number.
However with any decent card you should get at least 30 FPS I would say, but this is NOT constant through the game, some scenes may drop 50% and more.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-20-18 at 09:40 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-18, 09:51 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi C
Check this out:
Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings > Essential Settings > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced

Post #112 How Can I Get A Better Frame Rate In Silent Hunter 5?

Antilag By Kegetys > Curing Lagging - Stutter - Seizures

Low FPS Try This From GT182

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-18, 01:45 AM   #4
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Downloads: 309

Sounds similar to what I experienced. First check your NVIDIA settings to make sure the NVIDIA processor is used to run the game instead of an integrated graphics card. See attachment.

1. Open NVIDIA configuration settings;
2. Select 'Manage 3D settings' on the left;
3. Select the 'Program settings' tab on the right;
4. Select the game (SH5.exe) in the first dropdown menu;
5. Select the NVIDIA processor in the second dropdown menu.

Don't forget to apply the changes. With the integrated graphics card selected I got around 15 FPS. With the NVIDIA processor selected I get around 60 FPS and the game runs smoothly.

Last edited by Markus Witt; 07-05-21 at 12:45 PM.
Markus Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 01:57 PM   #5
Spectre-63
Sparky

Downloads: 36

Captain AJ -

please don't take this the wrong way as it's not meant as a slight: the GT710 is a base model card that was released over two years ago. It's not really designed as a "gaming" card. If you cannot get the performance you desire after tweaking your settings, you may do better to upgrade the card. If that's an option, I would look at the NVidia 1050 or 1060 series cards.
Old 06-19-18, 06:04 PM   #6
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Antilag By Kegetys > Curing Lagging - Stutter - Seizures
Antilag by Kegety doesn't work with W10 last update. CTD....

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 06:19 PM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi CAJ
You have a 2gb gpu which is at the bottom end for SH5 if you are running mega mods like TWOS.
Having said that there is no reason why you cannot setup your game accordingly so as not to put more pressure on your system.
You need to set up the in game graphics settings to LOW
The sliders need to be back and the boxes un-ticked.
Settings like Light shafts and shadows are heavy on resources.

You can also use this application which will balance out your fps.
Antilag By Kegetys > Curing Lagging > Stutter > Seizures > Manually Set The Frame Rate For Low FPS Problems

You will always have a bit of ghosting with your mouse from time to time and some stuttering.
Try to find the places where you can get the best fps.
Zooming with your mouse will lower your fps and you need to watch your TC as well.
You do not want any unnecessary programs running in the background.
Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 12:01 PM   #8
barrind
Watch

Downloads: 68

I have a 144Hz GSync monitor and I found I has to limit the frame to 120 within the antilag.cfg file, as well as have renderaheadlimit set to 1. The in game fps is actually of the order of 90fps with my hardware. If I set the FPSLimit at all above 120, then I would get all sorts of stuttering and lag, even with the fps still displaying 90fps(shown with the Rivatuner app). You would have thought setting the fps limit to 144 wouldn't make any difference if the actual in game fps was 90, but it seems it does. This is with Windows 10 1803 and a 980GTi, + latest drivers. My theory is the gsync aspect was messing it up.
barrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 12:10 PM   #9
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
You will always have a bit of ghosting with your mouse from time to time and some stuttering.
Even with my 8Go Ram …
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 12:58 PM   #10
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrind View Post
I have a 144Hz GSync monitor and I found I has to limit the frame to 120 within the antilag.cfg file, as well as have renderaheadlimit set to 1. The in game fps is actually of the order of 90fps with my hardware. If I set the FPSLimit at all above 120, then I would get all sorts of stuttering and lag, even with the fps still displaying 90fps(shown with the Rivatuner app). You would have thought setting the fps limit to 144 wouldn't make any difference if the actual in game fps was 90, but it seems it does. This is with Windows 10 1803 and a 980GTi, + latest drivers. My theory is the gsync aspect was messing it up.
My PC can get 80 or 90 FPS but I fixed it via Nvidia inspector to 35 FPS. Why more? No lags, no stutterings, and smooth animations.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 04:41 PM   #11
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
My PC can get 80 or 90 FPS but I fixed it via Nvidia inspector to 35 FPS. Why more? No lags, no stutterings, and smooth animations.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I’ll try that and see if any improvment
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote