Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-18-18, 07:51 PM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Comic actress Penny Marshall passes away at 75

Penny Marshall who starred as Lavern DeFazio on the sitcom, Lavern and Shirley has passed away. Penny Marshall was a comedic actress in mold of Lucille Ball.

Penny Marshall also directed a number of successful movies like " Big " with Tom Hanks and Robert Loggia. Penny directed " Awakenings " staring Robert De Niro and Robin Williams.

Penny Marshall was the first female director to oversee a $100 million-grossing movie. She changed the way we see in nutty women in comedy along with Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett.

Penny Marshall teamed up once again with Tom Hanks, directing a fictional account of a real life event-The all girls Professional Baseball Team called " A League Of Their Own. " A league of their own was a great story and movie about real women professional baseball players.

Who can forget Tom Hanks as Manager Jimmy Dugan yelling at a player Evelyn Gardner played by Bitty Schram. " There's no crying in baseball . "

Well, sometimes there's crying in baseball.

Rest in peace Penny and thanks for the laughs and comedy with heart.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/enter...ead/index.html

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 12-18-18 at 08:07 PM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-18, 08:57 PM   #2
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The local entertainment industry is pour out tributes to Penny Marshall today and it is all about how great an influence she was and how great were her talents. Something not very well known was her great heart and generosity towards others in the industry, particularly towards comic actors and comedians. She had a reputation for taking in "strays", actors and comedians who were struggling and need a place to stay or other help. She had several now famous stars in comedy who, when starting out, spent nights on her couch when they need a roof over their heads. She was known as being straightforward and simple in her dealings with others in the industry. She also was a pretty good baseball/softball player. Above all she was known s being very, very funny with lot of her humor self-effacing. It is rare when a person in the industry is so well thought of; I do not recall any talk of as being other than a very decent, loyal, and compassionate person. The lady has class in spades...

Rest in Peace, Penny Marshall; thank you for sharing your life and talents with the rest of us and know that you did good while you were here...

There may be no crying in baseball, but there have been a lot of tears in Hollywood today...

<O>
Old 12-19-18, 06:48 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

RIP Penny

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 10:44 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Ron Howard, her onetime co-star, and like her an actor who went on to become a celebrated film director, stated on Twitter, "She was funny & so smart. She made the transition from sitcom star to A List movie director with ease & had a major impact on both mediums. All that & always relaxed, funny & totally unpretentious. I was lucky to have known & worked with her."]
Major League Baseball tweeted the following statement: "We join the baseball community in mourning the passing of Penny Marshall, director of A League of Their Own."

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 11:22 AM   #5
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

They never really tell you why or what these stars die from (unless it's a drug over dose)

So I looked it up: https://www.inquisitr.com/5214810/pe...Search+Results

Quote:
Penny Marshall’s death was attributed to complications from diabetes, but she also battled cancer within the last decade.
I was too busy making money in the days she was on TV so I didn't see her very much

Quote:
She may have best been known for playing the role of Laverne DeFazio on Laverne & Shirley — which was a spin-off of Happy Days. Laverne & Shirley was on the air for eight seasons, from 1976 to 1983, and really put Marshall on the celebrity map.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote