SUBSIM®  Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM® Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent
 
Onkel Neal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1997
Location: Cougar Trap, Texas
Posts: 17,255
Downloads: 389
Uploads: 195


cool After losing re-election bid, Texas judge releases juvenile defendants

After losing his re-election bid, Harris County Juvenile Court Judge Glenn Devlin released most juvenile defendants after asking them one question: "Do you plan to kill anyone?"

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018...ction-democrat

The kicker is, he was beaten by a Democrat, and liberals are far more lenient than conservative Republicans, so as he saw it, "He was releasing everybody," public defender Steven Halpert told the Houston Chronicle. "Apparently he was saying that's what the voters wanted."

So, he released them until a rescheduled Jan. 4 court date. Who can blame him? The voters fired him for being too tough on crime, I guess.
__________________
.


It works for me
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Schroeder
Fun Terminator
 
Schroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Banana Republic of Germany
Posts: 6,182
Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0


Default

I'm afraid I can't read the article as it is blocked for EU visitors but it sounds to me like a sore loser is trying to do as much damage as possible before he has to go. From the little info I have it looks like pure defiance. If that's the case he gets zero respect from me. If you get voted out continue to do your job properly until the last day and leave with dignity.
__________________
Putting Germ back into Germany.
Schroeder is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Dowly
.
 
Dowly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 23,875
Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0


Default

I know this is not the right thread perhaps, but I am confused. Is some of the mid-terms still going? I keep seeing news of Florida's senate seat and Arizona's? Are those still at counting phase?
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken
 
Buddahaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,998
Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0


Default

If the vote margin is really close there will be recounts.
__________________

"However vast the darkness, we must provide our own light."
Stanley Kubrick
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Dowly
.
 
Dowly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 23,875
Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
If the vote margin is really close there will be recounts.
Right, that makes sense. What are provisional ballots? It seems they are often related to recounts?


Sorry, I'm feeling lazy today. I've tried to follow it, but as a foreigner your election system just confuses me.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
em2nought
Sea Lord
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,637
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I know this is not the right thread perhaps, but I am confused. Is some of the mid-terms still going? I keep seeing news of Florida's senate seat and Arizona's? Are those still at counting phase?

Sweatshops in Broward county are still busy penciling in democrat votes to be added to the count.
__________________
Time to Dump the Tea in the Potomac
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack
 
AVGWarhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In a 1954 Buick.
Posts: 26,366
Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I know this is not the right thread perhaps, but I am confused. Is some of the mid-terms still going? I keep seeing news of Florida's senate seat and Arizona's? Are those still at counting phase?
Yes. To close to call it. Recount and run off.
__________________
“You're painfully alive in a drugged and dying culture.”
― Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Bleiente
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Dimension 404
Posts: 893
Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I'm afraid I can't read the article as it is blocked for EU visitors but it sounds to me like a sore loser is trying to do as much damage as possible before he has to go. From the little info I have it looks like pure defiance. If that's the case he gets zero respect from me. If you get voted out continue to do your job properly until the last day and leave with dignity.
Try it with the Tor network...

__________________
Ralles RealModPack V1.3 for SH4 V1.5


Secret Service (ESS)
Bleiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
vienna
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,802
Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Right, that makes sense. What are provisional ballots? It seems they are often related to recounts?


Sorry, I'm feeling lazy today. I've tried to follow it, but as a foreigner your election system just confuses me.

The election system here can be confusing to a lot of us who vote in the US, sometimes even confusing to those charged with administering and overseeing the elections. There are several differing voting systems and methods across the States and even within the individual states, with every method from low tech 'make your mark' pencil/pen and paper to mechanical lever-pull machines to high tech computerized touchscreens. There is no standard at all for the means/methods of voting and every jurisdiction can do as it pleases. The responsibility for administering the process falls, usually, to the County-level governments...

Provisional ballots are used when a voter is voting in an unusual situation: they claim to be registered but the polling place does not have them on their rolls; they are voting at a polling place other then their own precinct, usually because they are unable to get to their precinct in time or easily to vote; there is some discrepancy between information on the rolls and their proffered ID; etc. In those type of cases, the voter is given what is called the "provisional ballot", where the acceptance of the ballot officially is pending a physical, manual determination against official records of the actual eligibility and legitimacy of the voter to cast a ballot. Depending on the number of provisional ballots, the review process can be lengthy...

Another reason for the long delay in getting a final count is a number of other ballot-types, such as mail-in ballots, and drop-off ballots (which are usually mail-in ballots voters decide to, instead of mailing them in, drop them off at a polling place on Election Day); and, there are a number of 'questionable' ballots that, for one reason or another, are rejected by the mechanical/electronic counting systems or otherwise have incomplete or conflicting data, and these also require a time-consuming manual review...

When you see the Election Night results and they report "100% of the Precincts Reporting", they are only acknowledging the votes counted by whatever system is in use, either electronic or mechanical; the other ballots requiring manual review or input are not part of that "100%", so, in many areas, there are still a lot of ballots to be counted yet. In Los Angeles County alone, on Wednesday morning after the Election, there were over 1,000,000 mail-in ballots yet to be processed and counted and there were an unknown number of other provisional ballots to be verified. So, when you see an election race where there is a very tight margin of difference in the vote for that particular race on the Election Night reports, it is to be remembered the numbers given are almost always based on the easily processed votes and are exclusive of those ballot that are outside of the 'usual' process...










<O>
__________________
__________________________________________________ __
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Platapus
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,098
Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default

Sounds like a good guy to not have as a judge any more
__________________
abusus non tollit usum - A right should NOT be withheld from people on the basis that some tend to abuse that right.
Platapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring
 
Skybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: the mental asylum named Germany
Posts: 27,456
Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
After losing his re-election bid, Harris County Juvenile Court Judge Glenn Devlin released most juvenile defendants after asking them one question: "Do you plan to kill anyone?"

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018...ction-democrat

The kicker is, he was beaten by a Democrat, and liberals are far more lenient than conservative Republicans, so as he saw it, "He was releasing everybody," public defender Steven Halpert told the Houston Chronicle. "Apparently he was saying that's what the voters wanted."

So, he released them until a rescheduled Jan. 4 court date. Who can blame him? The voters fired him for being too tough on crime, I guess.

In billiards they would call it "cushioning the ball". I would call it indirect nonverbal communication.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Sounds like a good guy to not have as a judge any more
If the rest of this guy is like this single story, I could come to terms with him easily.
__________________
"People who believe in free will, are the easiest to manipulate." - Yuvai Noah Harari
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent
 
Onkel Neal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1997
Location: Cougar Trap, Texas
Posts: 17,255
Downloads: 389
Uploads: 195


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Sweatshops in Broward county are still busy penciling in democrat votes to be added to the count.
Keep recounting until you get the results you want. Democracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Sounds like a good guy to not have as a judge any more
He's simply mimicking our immigration laws - catch and release.
__________________
.


It works for me
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:15 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat
 
Jimbuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 250 metres below the surface
Posts: 128,140
Downloads: 49
Uploads: 11


Default

Well, at least he will be remembered for something I suppose.
__________________
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
Oh my God, not again!!


GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2018 Subsim