Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-17-17, 06:17 PM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default "Did the coal miners canary just flutter?"

Its information like this which makes me raise the B.S. flag when I hear the global warming alarmists. And before they start squawking again just remember There is a measured increase in the rate of global warming related to the expansion of the internet and specifically the explosion in the World Wide Web. So please alarmists does all a favor and turnoff your internet connection and save the world.

“For over 15 years an inordinate proportion of government and corporate research grants have been awarded to universities for a single specific purpose: to prove human activities and the burning of fossil fuels are the main driving mechanisms causing global warming.
“Unfortunately agendas by strong arm politics and the suppression of contrary views have become the primary tools used to manipulate the media, local and state governments (and in turn the general public) into believing what they want us to believe.”
“The politically driven United Nations IPCC and United States global warming ruse will likely end up being one of the greatest scandals of the 21st century.”

An updated list of at excuses for the 18-26 year statistically significant ‘pause’ in global warming, including recent scientific papers, media quotes, blogs, and related debunkings.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/climate-...lobal-warming/

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-17, 07:44 PM   #2
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Burn the heretic!

Old 12-18-17, 03:36 AM   #3
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Its information like this which makes me raise the B.S. flag when I hear the global warming alarmists.
And it is "information" coming from sources like that which i instantly ignore.
Conspiracy-Pseudoscience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Up_With_That%3F
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/watts-up-with-that/

Just another ape trying to prove his agenda and feed it to the apes.
"Watts Up With That? (or WUWT) is a blog promoting climate change denial that was created by Anthony Watts in 2006."
Some Breitbart quotes also present in this blog of Watts b.t.w.

Like with Foxy News or Breitbart they have an opinion, and are building their BS around it. Pseudo science constantly misleading readers, feeding the right-wing agenda in its lowest form.

It is not even right-wing, it is just helping big companies to get through with what they do.
The "joke" is that this works like in totalitarian systems. Some people like Bannon or this Watts are voluntarily spreading crap they think their dear leader will like. Anticipatory obedience. Of course you cannot rule out presidential orders, personal advantages or just their good old own prejudice and lacking education.

As a geologist i really had to laugh. "Oceans not eating the warmth" my donkey. Of course not. Nothing to do with it. This is desinformation.
This is not how science works. And if science does not support your denial, it is not "leftist" or "snowflake". It just is how it is.

Problem is as soon as you as a scientist try to honestly counter them with facts. Facts are boring. They mostly do not arouse feelings, or anger. People like Watts or Bannon can easily turn this into a sh!tstorm, laughing at you, because you are not so clever in rhetorics, and lies.

So here's good advice to scientists:
Do not try to "discuss" this with people like Watts or Bannon. They are not really open for a neutral discussion, it is all fake, they just want to blow all up and cause chaos.
You just give them credibility where they have none.
You give them a platform where they deserve none.
"They will pull you down to their level, then beat you with (populistic) experience."

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 12-18-17 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Typoes.. anyone who still finds some may keep them ;)
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 06:07 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Whatever is the truth or the real reason for such far reaching changes will probably only be recognised when it is too late to rectify matters.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 06:42 AM   #5
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Whatever is the truth or the real reason for such far reaching changes will probably only be recognised when it is too late to rectify matters.
^ I would agree, though scientists have warned since two decades at least, and been ignored. Germany, among other EU nations, has failed. The goals set could not be reached. When i think of what China, the US or Russia does, Europe is a drop in the bucket. But at least we tried. What we do, or fail to, has consequences.

I am being critical of some projects, of course. While inclusion imho is a good thing, this electro-mobility thing as it is being thought about right now is a dead end. The production of the energy being fed into the batteries is just being outsourced to a coal plant beyond the horizon, so you do not see it. The conduction loss, and loss while charging, will consume even more energy than cars being equipped with contemporary combustion engines.

Old 12-18-17, 09:59 AM   #6
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Conspiracy-Pseudoscience.
It always is, each and every time. Why people are still buying that BS is beyond me.
It's probably wishful thinking.
Old 12-18-17, 01:01 PM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Its information like this which makes me raise the B.S. flag when I hear the global warming alarmists. And before they start squawking again just remember There is a measured increase in the rate of global warming related to the expansion of the internet and specifically the explosion in the World Wide Web. So please alarmists does all a favor and turnoff your internet connection and save the world.
So, you do believe that actions of man are contributing to global warming?
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 05:04 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I used to not believe the global-warming theories, and I still have questions, but when the 'deniers' include people like Lawrence Krauss and Neil DeGrasse Tyson I start to listen to them.
Old 12-18-17, 05:33 PM   #9
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I used to not believe the global-warming theories, and I still have questions, but when the 'deniers' include people like Lawrence Krauss and Neil DeGrasse Tyson I start to listen to them.
Steve, You;ll have to provide some references for this, as I follow NGT fairly regularly, and everything I have ever heard him say is promoting man made climate change and the need for action to rectify this. Unless I am misreading your post.

But couple articles I just read to today....

http://www.iflscience.com/space/a-ci...o-be-an-error/

TLDR: Data from certain weather stations were showing trends so outrageous that computer algorythms tossed it as erroneous data. Manual review of the data showed it to be accurate.

Can't find the link, read it on the BBC:
A lot of Olympic winter ski teams have been trouble finding adequate summer training grounds to practice on real snow. In the past alpine glaciers have provided good locations to practice, but now most of them have degraded to the point where they are becoming unusable.

Just like the tobacco companies of years past, Oil and gas companies are the ones pushing the denial theories. They have the most to profit from a steady climate theory. They know their supplies are limited, some of us will see demand crisis's within our lifetimes. Even the most conservative estimates limit affordable oil production to 75-100 years. They're just trying to get their money's worth now while the game is still good.

It just makes me wonder why people (other than oil/gas companies and those associated with them) choose to stick their head in the sand? If you're wrong, and we do nothing to prevent it, then we have basically ruined a good portion of civilization as we know it and destroyed many natural environments. If you're right, and we do nothing, then we haven't developed the necessary infrastructure to cope with the coming energy crisis.

Or we could do our best to limit the CO production caused by man, and hope to keep the augmented climate swing in check. We would also have made the changes needed to insure civilization continues progressing in a forward manner.

Even if you don't believe in climate change, you should still be in favor of making a change towards alternative, renewable power sources. I just don't see a win in the long run for the deniers on any front.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 09:50 PM   #10
August
Wayfaring Stranger

If man is indeed the cause of global warming then it's because of our population numbers that is driving it not what type of fuels we're using.

No carbon credit scheme, renewable energy initiative or any other government boondoggle is going to solve the problem as long as we continue to overpopulate the planet.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 04:47 AM   #11
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
If man is indeed the cause of global warming then it's because of our population numbers that is driving it not what type of fuels we're using.

No carbon credit scheme, renewable energy initiative or any other government boondoggle is going to solve the problem as long as we continue to overpopulate the planet.
Of course the type of fuel matters...

I am also a bit puzzled as to what the graphs on WUWT are supposed to show.

The graph shown right at the top when you click Rockstar's link has the caption:
"RSS satellite data showing the 18 year ‘pause’ of global warming"

But that's not what it shows, does it?

The second graph is the first one under the 18-26 year statistically significant ‘pause’ in global warming link.

Ok, again it is supposed to show a 19-year pause, but why not include the trend?

Perhaps because it would show no 'pause':

(Source)

The third graph is a the next one down which, again, is supposed to show a 'pause'.

Here's the actual graph (NOTE: Uses v04 dataset instead of v03_3, since it has been updated):

(Source)

Last edited by Dowly; 12-19-17 at 06:19 AM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 10:16 AM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Plant more trees! They ~love~ carbon dioxide and other "poisons". Let 'em grow to maturity, then use 'em for construction and fuel. Plant MORE! recycle nature.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 10:57 AM   #13
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Plant more trees! They ~love~ carbon dioxide and other "poisons". Let 'em grow to maturity, then use 'em for construction and fuel. Plant MORE! recycle nature.
You are not wrong, however all that man does is de-foresting for cattle range land, rain forest, middle America. Look at what China does, or Trump's recent plans to reduce national parks to 20 percent of their former size and let industry exploit it. I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by Catfish; 12-19-17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-19-17, 01:05 PM   #14
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Steve, You;ll have to provide some references for this, as I follow NGT fairly regularly, and everything I have ever heard him say is promoting man made climate change and the need for action to rectify this. Unless I am misreading your post.
No, you're right. I should have said "promoters". I've been in a bit of pain and having trouble concentrating this last week. No, I was a denier until I realized that some of the scientists I admire the most were firmly convinced that this is fact.

Sorry for the confusion. It was all on my part.
Old 12-19-17, 01:22 PM   #15
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Of course the type of fuel matters...
It matters only because without it most of the 7 billion people on this planet would starve. Unless you fix the population problem first you will never be able to prevent them from continuing to use fossil fuels. Never. Because nobody is going to care about some ill defined future danger like global warming when their children's bellies are empty or they are freezing to death.

Get us down to say half our present global population and alternate fuels might have a chance of supporting the remainder but even then a big percentage of them will be living in the stone age.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote