SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-17, 07:09 PM   #16
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Chrome is secure from a malware-related point. No other browsers get patched as often and quickly. The big negative is that Google denies you any privacy with it. Security top, privacy flop. Fail.
can you explain more about the privacy issues with chrome

and does it have the same issues as the others with not working with all websites?

im not going to be running multiple browsers I know that much, my OCD wont allow it
Old 09-08-17, 07:22 PM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post

and does it have the same issues as the others with not working with all websites?

im not going to be running multiple browsers I know that much, my OCD wont allow it
Unlike Microsoft, Google gives you full access to their data mining options, even including the option not to be tracked for targeted ads at all. You will still see ads, they just won't be all about travel to Bermuda just because six months ago you were clickbaited into looking at a site on Bermuda. You can substitute stupider/more embarrassing ads that they inflict you with for months because you ended up somewhere you weren't the least bit interested in once months ago.

You can also retain targeted ads, but cancel your old identifying number and be issued a brand new one if you want. Just look at the difference between a Gmail account and a Hotmail/MSN Mail/somekindaOutlook online e-mail account. The Microsoft ones are infested with all manner of spam, clickbait and scams. Gmail stays clean. Says something about the inherent integrity of the underlying company. Microsoft and Google are NOT equivalent.

Even so, that's one of the reasons I run Vivaldi.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 07:44 PM   #18
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
... I find it simply amazing that with todays tech this is an issue that a browser cant function on any and all websites that you go to...
they are all out to do the others in, and corner the market for themselves, so that they can sell your info to the highest bidder... that's the cynical me... sorry.

I'm going to have to check-out that Vivaldi also, RR. I might also sic my boys on it. They're always experimenting with that stuff, and will try to break it, stretch it, bend it, etc. They will put it through its paces fershur ferserttin...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 02:21 PM   #19
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

so does google chrome have the same issues with "some" websites freezing up and not loading correctly as the others do?

honestly, just having smooth trouble free browsing that works is my first concern, that is far more important then any privacy issues
Old 09-09-17, 02:45 PM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:

It does not delete your DNS cache when you delete your browser history. When you use zoom on a website, the zoom function gets logged as welll - with reference to to the website it is used for. So even when you delete your browsing history, your history nevertheless get saved and extracted, linked to your IPN.

There are more issues as well, some may have changed over time, some not, I do not know the specifics that are actual, I just gave two quick shots of what I still have in memory. Also: I know that profiling people is the business model of Google and this data is what they see as their payment, so I will not believe one second that Google does its browser service "fore free". In fact, many people consider the data kraken named Google as worse than that named Microsoft.

When the first versions of Chrome were released years ago, they were so invasive and violating that the German federal office for IT security officially rated Chrome as malware and issued an official warning against the use of Chrome. A first! It was also found that at that time severla switches that gave the user the impression of influencing his privacy settings, indeed were functionless: were dummy switches.

I would not trust a company that starts its browser with practices like this. Like I do not trust Microsoft anymore since its practice with GWX, and then W10. It is pointless to attack Microsoft - but to embrace Google. Reject both, I say.

Also consider that Google combines data it gaisn via Chrome with data it already has abiout you: via gmail, or your smartphone, or your other computer activities, or your G+ account, or - well, where is Google not these days? See my sig. Snowden is very right with that quote.

Before you go with Chrome, I would check Opera and Vivaldi, and make sure that it is not some settings of yours that cause your "problems". Becasue I hjave the same symptoms iover here - but form t he settings I have chosen I expect nothign else but right these symptoms, they confirm to me that I have switched many unwated automatic things off.

I always say: the more comfortable your browsing experience is, the more open and unsecure and privacy-abusing your browser is set up to be. You cannot have both: comfortability, AND privacy/security.
Old 09-09-17, 03:51 PM   #21
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

From the prime mover at the Vivaldi team:
My friends at Google: it is time to return to not being evil

Basically, Google shuts off income streams of affiliates who stray from the party line: how that affected Opera before it went to the dark side and how it affected Vivaldi until recently. Jon von Tetzchner was the man responsible for Opera until it went south and now spearheads Vivaldi. This is a very interesting article on the direction of Vivaldi and why it deserves your support.
Old 09-09-17, 05:07 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

A monopoly that leads to the abuse of power - quelle surprise. Isn'T that why monopolists want to build monopolies and increase and defend them? The purpose is to eliminate competition and to bypass the mechnaisms of the free market. Market, and monopolies, are antagonists.

Always.
Old 09-09-17, 05:37 PM   #23
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
so does google chrome have the same issues with "some" websites freezing up and not loading correctly as the others do?

honestly, just having smooth trouble free browsing that works is my first concern, that is far more important then any privacy issues
The root cause of web sites not working on all browsers is Microsoft, ignoring established worldwide web standards and doing things their own way. When they had a giant share of the browser market, that forced web sites to use non-standard Microsloth ways of doing things, making their websites incompatible with other browsers. This was exactly what Microsoft wanted.

Nowdays, we are still saddled with Microsoft ignoring web standards and websites having to identify which browser you are using and format accordingly. Some web programmers aren't up to speed and do this badly. Some, like Microsoft itself, feed you a message that you must use Internet Exploder or that abortion of theirs that they claim is a "modern browser" and people are just running away from like it was a leper. It is.
Old 09-09-17, 05:47 PM   #24
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

(an off topic memory)

My first browser was Netscape don't know if its correct spelled.

Markus
(end of an off topic memory)
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 07:06 PM   #25
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
(an off topic memory)

My first browser was Netscape don't know if its correct spelled.

Markus
(end of an off topic memory)
Yes, I too fondly remember Netscape.

I have Win 7 64 bit and have used Firefox for many years without trouble on any website. I think the Mozilla (Mozilla Firefox) browser is descended from the Netscape source code that Mozilla wrote for Netscape.

My Cable TV provider that I hate - I won't mention 'Comcast' cough, cough, by name : ) requires the Adobe Flash Player plugin so I don't go to their site. YouTube videos play just fine without it.

I don't use the Java plugin either and the chess sites that I visit don't require it.

So, I recommend Firefox on Win 7 the OP asked about. I have refused to use IE, the browser Rockin Robbins affectionately calls 'Exploder' for years.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 09:26 AM   #26
propbeanie

Was Netscape the one that could run from the Comman Line, back in Win31 days? I can't remember, but I ~think~ my first forays were with Netscape 3.0... ?? Before that, I'd been doing a C-64 with bbs software.

In the meantime, I have been using Vivaldi for a few days now, and I do like it. It is very similar to Opera, but better. Like a cross between Opera and Firefox, only faster and seemingly more stable. No issues thus far. No bad page loads or anything. I don't know about their "security", but I haven't had pop-ups when going to some of the sites that will generate those in Firefox and / or IE11 (both with "pop-up blockers")...

Old 09-13-17, 09:39 AM   #27
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Was Netscape the one that could run from the Comman Line, back in Win31 days? I can't remember, but I ~think~ my first forays were with Netscape 3.0... ?? Before that, I'd been doing a C-64 with bbs software.

In the meantime, I have been using Vivaldi for a few days now, and I do like it. It is very similar to Opera, but better. Like a cross between Opera and Firefox, only faster and seemingly more stable. No issues thus far. No bad page loads or anything. I don't know about their "security", but I haven't had pop-ups when going to some of the sites that will generate those in Firefox and / or IE11 (both with "pop-up blockers")...
It was Netscape Navigator, the first graphical web browser that changed the world from the text-based Gopher evolution that was the WWW to the absolute killer app we have today. I'll never forget using Netscape Navigator 4.7 I think the version was, to download Pathfinder photos from Mars, taking an hour to download one or two images, marveling that I could go to Microsoft's Terraserver to see satellite photos of any spot on the entire planet!

Yes it took 20 minutes to assemble the mosaic to view a page, but the detail from space was breathtaking. I could see my house! Yes, Microsoft scooped Google Earth by ten years and just tossed it all in the garbage, leaving the territory to Google. Surrendered without a fight.
Old 09-13-17, 11:49 AM   #28
propbeanie

Ahhh yeshh, I remember it well... I was actually back in school for about the 4th time, taking computer programming classes, and had a job on the side doing Access db programming, before Microsoft ruined the Jet DB Engine... like it needed any help with that... But one of the fellows in my class was really into the blooming web, and found that site also... "Killer" stuff indeed it was...

I really think Webster should try Vivaldi... I've got it on four different computers, with four different cpu's, RAM configs, etc., I mean, wildly different machines from 1 gig to 8 gig of ram, and I do NOT have any issues whatsoever. Good stuff, like the days of old, and all sorts of ways to set-up the pages and tabs the way you want them... two thumbs up!

Old 09-13-17, 01:34 PM   #29
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
I really think Webster should try Vivaldi... I've got it on four different computers, with four different cpu's, RAM configs, etc., I mean, wildly different machines from 1 gig to 8 gig of ram, and I do NOT have any issues whatsoever. Good stuff, like the days of old, and all sorts of ways to set-up the pages and tabs the way you want them... two thumbs up!
My experience also. It works exactly the same in Linux and on Windows. It's fast, attractive, stable as a rock and the side panels are genius, as is their history function. This is the first new thinking in browsers in ten years.

I complained about all the "Windoze 10" square corners and their admins told me now to fix it! The thing is very nicely cusomizable.

But they didn't just load a bucket of crap on the browser. It's lean, doesn't tax your system resources, and fast. I highly recommend it.
Old 09-16-17, 01:24 PM   #30
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Ahhh yeshh, I remember it well... I was actually back in school for about the 4th time, taking computer programming classes, and had a job on the side doing Access db programming, before Microsoft ruined the Jet DB Engine... like it needed any help with that... But one of the fellows in my class was really into the blooming web, and found that site also... "Killer" stuff indeed it was...

we use to use netscape and liked as well

if Vivaldi works on everything with no website loading issues then I am going to try it, I will try anything before I use chrome because I want to do nothing that supports google in any way because I am appalled and repulsed by their business practices and politics

that's all I really want first and foremost, security and privacy would be second and 3rd on the priority list, but inconsequential to works on everything with no website loading issues

but I am a bit puzzled if goggle chrome was chromium and vivini was chromium then does this mean vivindi is just a better version of chrome without the spyware and lack of privacy? or are they just google "light" we aren't quite as bad as the other guy type of browser?

Last edited by Webster; 09-16-17 at 01:37 PM.