SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-12, 10:38 PM   #1
TwoGamers
Officer

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Max depth achieved

I just tried to see how far down I could go before dying and I got 220. I was then able to surface and return to base. Anyone gotten deeper. the sub was the VIIB 1941 i think. Or maybe the VIIC 1941
TwoGamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 01:55 AM   #2
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

300 m in a IXC

Here :

A closer call

294m in a IXC

Here:

The second screenshot is older that the first and the needle couldn't move beyond 260m
I don't know which mod made it move above that limit like in the first screenshot.

I have made in the surface in both cases.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 02:00 AM   #3
U-SERB
Sailor man

Downloads: 97

Few times I reach more than 200 m, but I am not sure how much exactly...

Historically, U-boats dives very deep... Much deeper than the recommended...

For example, U-331 after successful attack on battleship HMS Barham lost control during crash dive, and regain control on 260 meters!!!
U-SERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 02:32 AM   #4
TwoGamers
Officer

I think it's like 25 minutes or something at full hull capacity to get to the surface. Also how did you still have the lights on at that dpeth mine get failing
Old 09-16-12, 05:38 AM   #5
jreid666
Helmsman

Downloads: 296

Yesterday, while attacking a convoy just off the straits of Gibraltar, i attacked 6 ships, sent 4 down. Was looking for a new target when i was hit by one of the sinking ships and started flooding (should have checked where he was at before finding a new target). With 3 compartments flooding i started sinking and finally hit the bottom at 390 meters, with a damaged type IX B. Any way got repairs done on the bottom and sank the stragglers of the convoy before heading home for sauerkraut and beer
jreid666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 05:52 AM   #6
TwoGamers
Officer

Hitting the bottom seems to 'relieve' the pressure somwhat on the boat. It doesn't take any damage to hull at the bottom which is the only way to die.
Old 09-16-12, 12:55 PM   #7
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreid666 View Post
Yesterday, while attacking a convoy just off the straits of Gibraltar, i attacked 6 ships, sent 4 down. Was looking for a new target when i was hit by one of the sinking ships and started flooding (should have checked where he was at before finding a new target). With 3 compartments flooding i started sinking and finally hit the bottom at 390 meters, with a damaged type IX B. Any way got repairs done on the bottom and sank the stragglers of the convoy before heading home for sauerkraut and beer
Near Gibraltar unforeseen accidental sinking with heavy flooding till hitting the seabed. Repairing performed on the ground then surfacing and making a totally unexpected come-back for the Tommies. Eventually setting sail for home.
Somehow I think this story sounds quite familiar to me...
Old 09-16-12, 05:04 PM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGamers View Post
I just tried to see how far down I could go before dying and I got 220. I was then able to surface and return to base. Anyone gotten deeper. the sub was the VIIB 1941 i think. Or maybe the VIIC 1941
It very much depends on if you use SH3 Commander. Because then it is random.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 05:12 PM   #9
U-SERB
Sailor man

Downloads: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
It very much depends on if you use SH3 Commander. Because then it is random.
Exactly.

That is very good stuff in SH3 Commander!

Like in real life. Some, officially missing uboats, probably had been lost due deep diving incidents!
U-SERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 01:40 PM   #10
Gustav Schiebert
Sparky

Downloads: 85

I stalked a convoy recently, and while getting data on the tankers in front of me I was keeping an eye on a destoyer circling behind me, about 3000 meters away. I planned to send two eels at two tankers, then before crash diving sending one from the stern tube at the destroyer. Part one went well, but no sooner had I turned the perisope round the destroyer had somehow closed the distance and smashed my conning tower to bits before I could dive.

The depth charges sent the boat into an uncontrolable dive, and despite desperately blowing almost every cubic centimeter of ballast I couldn't stop the dive. I eventually managed to stop it at 200m - but then the boat got into an uncontrollable rise. Using the hydroplanes and 'dynamic descent' I managed to just avoid breaking the surface about 500m from a destroyer, stopping the rise at about 10m.

Then, in what was starting to get a bit tiresome, the dive began again. With barely any compressed air left I struggled to slow the desent - eventually coming to a rest at 309m. I have the hull integrity thing switched off, but I managed to get the boat up to 200m and came to a stop. I spent 4 hours floating there, repairing, before finally managing to surface against all the odds.

(But then, on my way back I was spotted by a Catalina and dived to periscope depth - only to be told my boat was destroyed by pressure! A can of coke would have survived that depth).

GWX 3 + OLC Gold + 100% Realism + Commander

"Attack! Always attack!"
Gustav Schiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 02:27 PM   #11
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

I also use SH3 Commander and I have had random effects, as well. I have never had a reason, either intentional or through misfortune, to go below 230 meters. Historically, 230 meters is the rough calculation for "true crush depth" for most boats with 250 meters being the deep calc. threshold. Historical reports indicate that some boats went much deeper than that. I know SH2 had most of its boats hard-capped at 275 meters, which would conform with the reports of dives beyond "true crush depth". I would expect the absolute threshold to be 300 meters, unless SH3 Commander was really in a good mood when rolling up the random crush depth change.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 12:31 AM   #12
Night60700
Watch

Downloads: 0

Speaking for crush depths I came across a funny bug in the base game right before I started using GWX, where an Aircraft Carrier had sunk below the waves to about 350 meters only to start working again and sail away while underwater. Its was the most imba carrier ever.
Night60700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 02:30 PM   #13
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGamers View Post
You can go deeper than that.

You didn't die, so there's still room to go.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 07:31 AM   #14
Karl Heinrich
Soundman

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 2

I managed just beyond 300m in the XXI, I'm using Commander but don't have crush depth on random. I could potter around happily in the North Atlantic as long as I didn't dive to that depth too quickly - and in spite of the protestations of the crew. I need to try it again and see how far I can get beyond that before damage starts setting in rapidly

Last edited by Karl Heinrich; 12-02-12 at 07:41 AM.
Karl Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 09:16 AM   #15
Dronston
Lieutenant

Downloads: 68

Yesterday when I was done playing I saved the game, ordered my VIIC (100% hull integrity) to flanking speed, crash dived and started a normal dive at about 50 meters, all the time at full speed. I reached somewhere between 450 and 480 meters before my hull got crushed. Obviously only got that deep because of the diving speed.

With GWX3, SH3 commander (random crush depth not activated.)