Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-17-10, 05:30 AM   #1
Cavell
Sailor man

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default IL-2 Questions From A Noob

So after years upon years away from the flight sim scene - I think the last one I played was Aces Over Europe, when I was like 12 - for some odd reason I'm really in the mood to play one, and I've heard IL-2 is one of the best. However, I do have some questions, and I'd appreciate any and all help in answering them.

1. IL-2: 1946 is on Direct2Drive for like 10 bucks right now. Wikipedia tells me this is a compilation, with basically everything every made in the franchise included. Is that correct?

2a. Are there careers within the game, where you can just pop in a pilot name, choose a squadron, and fly through the war 'til you're dead?

2b. If so, how detailed are they? I recall even in AoE you sometimes got transferred, got upgraded to a different aircraft, etc.

3. Graphics. I'm not a huge graphics whore, but I do like stuff to look nice. Some of the IL-2 videos I've seen look pretty decent, given that it's half a decade old, and some look like utter crap. How good/bad are they?

4. Realism. I have no idea what fuel mixture and what propeller pitch to use in any given situation. I could probably figure it out, but if I can't be bothered, does all that sort of stuff have the option to be turned off?

5. Joystick. I've read the game can be moody when it comes to certain joysticks. I don't have one at the moment, and if I got it, I'd probably just roll out to Wal-mart and pick up something for fifteen bucks. Would that work, or do I need something in particular?

6. Would a guy who loved the crap out of AoE in its day enjoy IL-2?

Thanks again in advance for your help.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 05:47 AM   #2
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
1. IL-2: 1946 is on Direct2Drive for like 10 bucks right now. Wikipedia tells me this is a compilation, with basically everything every made in the franchise included. Is that correct?
Yep.

Quote:
2a. Are there careers within the game, where you can just pop in a pilot name, choose a squadron, and fly through the war 'til you're dead?
Yep.
Quote:
2b. If so, how detailed are they? I recall even in AoE you sometimes got transferred, got upgraded to a different aircraft, etc.
Unfortunately Il2 focuses more on on-line dogfights against human opponents. Therefore the dynamical generated campaigns aren't that good. Though the main weak spot is the AI which tends to be pretty stupid at times.

Quote:
3. Graphics. I'm not a huge graphics whore, but I do like stuff to look nice. Some of the IL-2 videos I've seen look pretty decent, given that it's half a decade old, and some look like utter crap. How good/bad are they?
The game is actually almost one decade old. But the graphics are still decent. Not awesome but still good enough. (new mods polished them even more like providing new ground textures and re skinned cockpits).

Quote:
4. Realism. I have no idea what fuel mixture and what propeller pitch to use in any given situation. I could probably figure it out, but if I can't be bothered, does all that sort of stuff have the option to be turned off?
Yep.

Quote:
5. Joystick. I've read the game can be moody when it comes to certain joysticks. I don't have one at the moment, and if I got it, I'd probably just roll out to Wal-mart and pick up something for fifteen bucks. Would that work, or do I need something in particular?
You'll need one with rudder control to really enjoy the game.

Quote:
6. Would a guy who loved the crap out of AoE in its day enjoy IL-2?
Sorry, no idea. I've never played AoE.

Quote:
Thanks again in advance for your help.
You're welcome.
Old 03-17-10, 06:04 AM   #3
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

*1: Yes, IL2 1946 is the complete IL2 package (all included)

*2a+b: the default campaign doesn't do justice to the game, the game itself was more focused for online play then it is for it's default campaign.
however there's plenty of campaigns to download online and ofcourse you have online squadrons that play co-op online in a similar way as a campaign:

A example is II/JG53 squadron:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129588

so as for campaigns you have 3 options:

1: Hand Made campaigns, which are mostly very good.

2: Only squadrons that play Co-op campaigns

3: DCG, its replaces the default campaign generator and has more customizing features and options.
site: http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

*3: IL2 has very nice grahpics, even for its age...also if you tweak the config file you can enable what's refered as the perfect mode which enables even more graphic options of the game.

*4: IL2 has a wide selection of realism options to enable/disable

*5: IL2 as far I'm aware works well with any joystick so far
I even have played it with a stick that was about aprox 15 years old (a old Logitech Wingmen)
the advice I can give you is that the joystick you purchase has a handle-twist (for rudder control)

*6: haven't played AoE, so can't tell but I can you I've been playing IL2 since it came out.

HunterICX
Old 03-17-10, 11:30 AM   #4
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
You'll need one with rudder control to really enjoy the game.
I'd have to disagree, my rudder is broken for ages and I get by just fine with using the keyboard for the rudder instead.
Old 03-17-10, 12:42 PM   #5
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Stop talking back to me! I'm always right!

The question is just what you think "enjoying" the game is. I wouldn't want to fly it without rudder control.