Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-19-09, 05:30 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Preordering for SBP upgrade to v 2.460 now open

Finally...!

http://www.esimgames.com/purchase.htm

Price is currently (=during preorder phase) 25 without and 30 dollars with manual.

Complete new full packages currently 125 dollars.

Note that for upgrades you need a dongle from a previous version - the upgrades do not include the dongles, only the full version does.

The good times for tankers are coming back... Check out the upgrade preview video (tnx, Lieste, for announcing it first at tanksim.com):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Volcano and I put together a preview of some of the additions and enhancements in the upcoming release.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/video/SBP...60_Preview.wmv

51MB, 8:18

Enjoy!

Last edited by Skybird; 03-22-09 at 05:45 AM.

Old 03-19-09, 05:45 PM   #2
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

I have my pre-order done! CD + Manual. Yes!

If you want to know what is new, in detail, check out this document. (long read... Link )

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 04:16 PM   #3
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

The vid looks great. The extras come at a very reasonable price; like an add-on for a regular pc 'game'.

Guess I will have to keep my creditcard ready......
Old 03-22-09, 05:45 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

The prices above are valid only for preordering. After the baby is born, the upgrade will cost 30 dollars without and 40 dollars with printed manual.

A pdf-manual is included anyway.

A new full version of SBP now will come with the upgrade included. The price does not change: still 125 dollars!

Last edited by Skybird; 03-22-09 at 08:42 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 06:21 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Second video on features of the upgrade released:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/video/SBP...0_Preview2.wmv
Old 03-22-09, 06:46 PM   #6
porphy
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

A new full version of SBP now will come with the upgrade included. The price does not change: still 125 dollars!

That is a bargain for this fine product. If you ever thought of getting SB Pro PE now is the time!

W. B.
Old 03-26-09, 11:08 AM   #7
Eugene
A-ganger

Downloads: 226

I've pre-ordered. Think of this as if they had marketed it as a significant "add-on" with patch. Which it is. The package includes new driveable simulated vehicles and many scenarios among much else.

At $20 it is less expensive than most add on packages to major commercial releases - of which there is a long list and tradition. BUT - as a ratio of the add on price to the original release, it is a fraction of what others charge. It's but 16% of the original price. Add ons from other companies are often 66% or more of the original.
Old 03-26-09, 01:03 PM   #8
ontos
Watch

Downloads: 1

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and tank sims at that. I bought Steel Fury a month ago and got hooked on tank sims. I have heard so much about Steel Beast, and would like to try it out. I make skins for the flight sim. IL-2 and heard you can do skins in Steel Beast. Like I say I am a noobie, and not very good yet, is it practical for me to order Steel Beast Pro or should I get the older version "Steel Beast"? Also can you make skins in the regular version or do you have to have Pro?. Sorry for all these questions. Just part of being a noobie.

Cheers
ontos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 04:28 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Get SB Pro PE. the first SB you mentioned is locked at software mode graphics 640x480, 256 colours, and visually is totally, completely, hopelessly outdated, due to it's high age. Functionality also do not compare, although SBP1 still is the number 2 in the arena, behind SBP-Pro. If money is a porblem, SB1 still delivers a blow in gameplay, though. Back then it redefined tank simulations on computers. SBP-Pro takes all that to completely new levels, and then adds much more.

The upgrade now implements a new data format for 3D models, so many old skins existing will not normally fit anymore. But the good news is that the skins for the vehciles are moddable, yes, separated for autmun, winter and spring/summer.

In the SBP ressources sticky on top of the forum list you find a link to a screenshot thread.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=97188

Pictures of the new vehicles you can find at the main and in the mod-forums of eSim, and here (beware the different dates!)
http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/...p?g2_itemId=15

Steel Fury and Steel Beasts Pro PE do not really compare. The latter plays in a league of it's own. That's why the military trains with it and pays 18000 dollars per 10-seats-licence. Plus expectionall quality standard, worldclass support and omnipresence of the developer in the support forum - since roughly ten years.

If you want realistic tanking and tactics, you can't go wrong with SBP, trust me. It's a superior choice.
Old 03-26-09, 04:38 PM   #10
ontos
Watch

Thanks Skybird, I think I'll get the Pro. Where can I order it. I can't find it on Amazon. Do you have to get it from the manufacturer?
Old 03-26-09, 05:51 PM   #11
porphy
Commodore

Hi

Yes, you get it from eSim Games Link

Shipping is free

cheers Porphy

W. B.
Old 03-26-09, 06:25 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

It may take some time currently. All old copies have been called back from the shelves, and the new version (including the new upgrade) can be preordered, and is expected to be delivered as soon as the CDs have left the factory, where they currently are being pressed.

1-4 weeks, I estimate. preorder list is said to be long already, and they'll work the shipping list off in sequence of ordering dates, they said.
Old 03-26-09, 06:56 PM   #13
ontos
Watch

I have another dumb question, what is a LAN License? and will this play only with key-board and joystick or do I have to buy something else. Thanks
Old 03-26-09, 10:33 PM   #14
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

DRM is dongle based - this uses a physical dongle somewhere on your LAN, using default USB mas storage drivers and a runtime encryption. You must have one full license on the dongle, but you can optionally add up to 7 more licenses at reduced cost allowing networked use by multiple users.

You can freely install SB on as many machines as you have access to, but you must have a currently unused license and the dongle present to launch the program. Personally I find this much better than limited activations/installs tying you to one machine, or requiring online checks/starforce or any other DRM I've had the misfortune to notice (usually by program unavailability/poor performance ).

Control requirements for SB are keyboard and mouse. A joystick is optional and takes over some functions. Many people feel that the mouse is easier - I prefer the stick. If money is no object then $1000 a pop 'AFV' controllers are available, but this is probably uneccessary

Track IR does some things, but is unsupported, and probably not very useful - you spend much time locked facing forwards in an optical sight.
Widescreen (like triplehead etc) should be much better supported than previously.
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 06:40 AM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Yes, the dongle solution showed to work very well. They had a public vote in 2005 on what kind of copy protection their customers would prefer to live with. Starforce etc. lost, dongle won, and by a clear margin, if I remember correctly.