SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-23, 09:09 AM   #1
hoosy
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default mission editor

Hi, I created my first mission and had a few questions.

1. I wanted the distance between the convoy and the submarine to be as large as possible (without visual contact) at the start of the mission. Unfortunately my default (30,000 meters) keeps being changed to "Random". Can somebody tell me why? Is this because of the editor? I have already uninstalled the game and reinstalled it again. That didn't bring any success.

2. What is meant by “Random Seed”?

Best regards
hoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-23, 05:22 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

hoosy

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 04:29 PM   #3
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10

I'm not familiar with the editor, but my guess is that it's a typo for "random speed"???
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-23, 11:50 AM   #4
Flubbo
Swabbie

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosy View Post
1. I wanted the distance between the convoy and the submarine to be as large as possible (without visual contact) at the start of the mission. Unfortunately my default (30,000 meters) keeps being changed to "Random". Can somebody tell me why? Is this because of the editor? I have already uninstalled the game and reinstalled it again. That didn't bring any success.
when saving a mission, you need to reselect the mission again from the workshop and load it for any changes to take an effect when you play-test it.

Also spawn distance can also be bugged where even if they do set it, the game does not abide by it. A weird but functional workaround is to make the mission have a time-based radio message(I know this sounds weird but players have reported it working).

Quote:
2. What is meant by “Random Seed”?
one effect it have is that, if you made a mission and have lets say a PL1 included. the PL1 will always have the same formation position in the convoy even in-between restarts of the mission, so if you assign a different seed to it, it will jumble the convoy formation.
Flubbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-23, 03:58 PM   #5
hoosy
Nub

Downloads: 0

thx, i ll try it
hoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-23, 09:22 PM   #6
Kralizec
Watch

Downloads: 21
Default Random seed

"Random seed". The starting position of the deterministic pseudo random algorithm that is used by the game.

Think of it as the initial wheel settings of the Enigma. If you keep pressing AAAAAA... the machine will produce a random output that is different when starting from ABC than if it starts from IJK.

As far as I know you will only notice the convoy layout change based on this setting.
Some other aspects are also randomized and are thus influenced, but to repeat the outcomes would be difficult due to an avalanche effect: you'd have to torpedo the same ships in the same order.

In case you managed to do just that and strike them in the same order over multiple playthroughs, I expect that whether ships will sink, not sink, or catch fire, will happen the exact same way. They will zig towards the same courses, and hold the course for the same period before zigging again. Kind of like Groundhog Day.
Kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-23, 09:32 PM   #7
Kralizec
Watch

Downloads: 21

Quote:
The workaround for the starting distance getting set back to default is very amusing: you must write a timed order that will be sent to the players over the radio, encrypted by Enigma. Doesn't matter what is in the message body or how you time it, if there is an order, the distance setting will take effect. No order, distance setting will be the default.
Kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote