SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-17, 04:35 PM   #1
mrfritz44
Seaman

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default Largest Naval Battle Mission

I find myself playing Battle off Samar over and over because there's a good bit of chaos everywhere. Are there other huge naval battle mission someone can recommend?
mrfritz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 08:45 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What mod(s) are you running?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-17, 08:37 AM   #3
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

At the time of the battle of Midway I happened to be there, passing on the way to Japan. Now I knew that the 4 carrier forces was approaching from the NW so went hunting. Only once have I found it and managed to sink all four!!!

Never found them again, they must have known I was coming !!!!!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-17, 04:53 PM   #4
propbeanie

The thing with all of the "Battle..." missions, is that if you get too close too soon, you might be within the spawn radius of the Random Groups, and they then will not spawn, since you're possibly with in "sight" distance.

Old 10-23-17, 05:38 AM   #5
Red Devil
The Old Man

no idea prop. As I said found them once. I even tried once to follow jap planes returning nw from midway, no luck.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 11-01-17, 01:45 AM   #6
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

It depends on the mods, if you use RSRD, since all the battles are scripted, you can find them all, plus all the groups leave ports and return to ports per history....the downside...u can always find them. If you start the war from Manila and ignore anything you run into and head to the Bungo Straits at full speed, you can catch the returning Pearl Harbor TF, just make sure you flank back to Manila right after before you lose the base and can't refuel. Course several other large TF you can find historically.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 01:41 PM   #7
Red Devil
The Old Man

Default RSRDC Scripted - Midway

I found myself today at Midway on the date in question, and diverted into the harbour instead of sailing past. First thing wrong - carrier in dock. There were no carriers at Midway, they were out at sea. Secondly, plenty of USA planes flying around, not a single jap. I had already had signal stating Major attack underway at Midway!! I was there, nothing!!
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 11-03-17, 01:46 PM   #8
propbeanie

Now, we could fix that in FotRSU, as far as the carrier goes, but I haven't looked there yet to see if there's one on that date... (makes note to self, only "self" probably won't remember...)

Being in the harbor area, you should be far enough away for everything to spawn, but I'll check that in FotRSU also. Seems to me, from my "study" of all-things-lurker, that his planes are set out far enough also... I'll have to get to a "real" computer later this evening, and I'll check my RSRDC files and let you know what I find...

Edit: I was able to get to the files over the net. Usually doesn't work. Anyway, from what I see in my install, there are no carriers at Midway. However, there might be one "stuck" from the 41a files, but I couldn't see from what it would have come. If you're referring to Pearl Harbor, Lurker does use a nearly "Stock" US_HarborTraffic file there, so there are four spots where a CV could spawn, even on December 8, 1942, of which, there were none then either. Anyway, as for the Japanese planes, there's only the one "strike" force, "IJN Midway air strike" RGG. They are set to spawn on June 04, 1942 at 0430 hours, with a route that will take them about 535km, or one hour and 45 minutes to travel, so they should show up at about 0615, give or take a couple-three days... but seriously, about 0615 on the 4th, they should be buzzing you.

Lurker was pretty good about getting things "on time" in his RSRDC mod, but there is a caveat. If you've opened any of his files in the Mission Editor, there is a very strong possibility that the files have been altered, whether you think they are or not. The ME does things to the files that most folks are not aware of. The "DelayMin=" setting is one, in that the game "defaults..." to a setting of "=60" for 60 minutes, and Lurker uses either zero or one. That controls the Delay in Minutes for a group to spawn. The "DelayMinInterv=" is another, which is how often a group will generate. The game's default is 1440, for 24 hours. Lurker generally uses "1", or one minute. What that does is it takes the "Random" out of the "Random Group Generation", and turns it into a "Specific Timetable Group Generation", based upon his "GameEntryDate=" and "GameEntryTime=" settings. Most any use of the Mission Editor, and like MS Windows, it will put it back to what it (the ME) thinks is appropriate, which will then make the group at least one day and one hour late from what Lurker set it to...

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-03-17 at 02:39 PM. Reason: findings...
Old 11-03-17, 02:55 PM   #9
Red Devil
The Old Man

Hi again porp - not touched any files in any folder, I trust the 'maker' to be bountiful
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 11-14-17, 12:35 AM   #10
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

A good large battle if you'e using RSRD is the Battle of Philippines Sea, basically if you get in the right spot you have all the Jap TF coming together and milling, several carriers, BB's, etc...

History automated works great with RSRD. Here's a sample.

http://www.historyanimated.com/PhillipineSeaPage.html

Obvious you can look in the ME., but for fun shooting, early war start out of Manila ending up in Surabaya for the invasion in March. Just hang off the coast of Java and you'll run into one invasion force of over 40 merchants
http://www.historyanimated.com/DutchEastIndiesPage.html

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote