Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-24-11, 11:54 AM   #1
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default If you could design WWII armor,

What would it look like?

What would be its features be?

Turreted or assault gun layout?

I would go for something in the T-34, Sherman, Panzer IV size class with the layout of a Panther

Rear drive axles like T-34 as opposed to front like German and American tanks would keep engine and transmission localized to rear.

Same KwK 75 as Panther with the Panther II small turret.

Call it Klein Panther!

Old 04-13-11, 08:01 PM   #2
Pillar
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5

I think turrets are overrated, in terms of the trade-off between that and gun size. I'd go for something like the Jagdpanzer IV/70.

Gun size and strength matters the most, as well as the optics required to hit first. After that, armor to protect against common anti-tank gun calibers. Speed is not important imo, nor a turret.

A few of these overwatching for an infantry fighting vehicle -- 40mm HE auto on a chassis armored against anti-tank weapons.

The TD described above overwatches against enemy tanks while the IFV destroys infantry strongpoints.
Pillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 09:49 PM   #3
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default Turret

[QUOTE=Pillar;1642367]Speed is not important imo, nor a turret.I think turrets are overrated, in terms of the trade-off between that and gun size.

I agree with you on the Jagdpanzer IV L70 but once your tracks are disabled and you ' re dead meat for all enemy tanks to flank you and take you out you may appreciate the usefulness of a turret
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 12:27 AM   #4
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Hmmm let's see...

I love the look of the Konigstiger simply because it's such a bad arse looking tank with that turret.

For armament I'd have to say make a KwK version of the 128mm FlaK 40 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12.8_cm_FlaK_40)
For pure bad assery go with the Zwilling Mount (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:12...lling_40_1.jpg)

The reason I chose the 128mm FlaK over the 88mm KwK L/71 is simply because based on how much charge they put into the AA version, they could probably substantially improve armour penetration by having higher volumes of propellant, or a better caliber (71 callbers perhaps?)

I would say move the drive axles to the rear a la t-34 to improve handling. Also, I would have to say if strategic bombing hadn't come into play, as well as trying to rush the design into production, the Konigstiger would've been a beast with proper quality control.

Thus, for my tank, I would have to say the designers would have to get a decent power plant to get her running that is at least half reliable (perhaps an aircraft engine like the M1?).

Anyways,

Hull/Crew/Turret Layoud: Koenigstiger (5 crew, Henschel Turret, etc)
Est. Weight: 78Tonnes.
Armament: 128mm KwK L/71
Engine: Daimler-Benz 605 A-1 Liquid cooled V12: 1,455 hp (compared to KT's 650...) Est. HP/Ton ratio: 18.65
Armor: Not a damn clue. Perhaps add an extra 30mm on specs of KT.
Transmission: Torsion bar

Reasoning behind me picking these specs is that in my opinion, if the Germans would have spent enough time designing and perfecting their Panthers and King Tigers such as they did with the Panzer II, III, IV, etc I think it would have been an incredibly useful and effective tank.

Armament is upgunned (past the 105mm the Germans wanted to put on the KT) due to the 128mm FlaK 40 being the next step of evolution in the German Flak cannons that could be used as anti-tank weapons (in my opinion). The massive shell size (compared to earlier designs), large caliber and 4x (thats right FOUR TIMES) the amount of force propelling the shell downrange leads me to believe that this thing could take on any conceivable tank for a few years to come.

The Engine specs and transmission (well actually I don't know of any other Transmissions save for the Christie design, but I thought that was un-reliable?) was based on modern tanks (M1) using aircraft engines as powerplants. Always hearing how the Tiger II had good mobility (for a tank of that size) but lacked engine power lead me to choose this power plants with more than double the amount of horse power being able to run this tank, even with the added weight of the 128mm armament and added protection.

Anyways, I'm just a history noob that knows barely anything about tanks, but thats what I would pick .

Cheers!

Krauter
Old 04-15-11, 11:53 PM   #5
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Lets see, the perfered TF tank?

A tank 35ftx13-15 ft about 10 feet tall, frontal armor would be sloped to 50 to 60 degrees 190-200mm of frontal armor, 70-80mm on the sides (with side metal thingys like the panzer 4 H), 50 mm on the rear. it would have a commander mg 42, a hull MG 42, and a turret mounted mg 42, with a 105mm anti tank gun. (this thing would have one hell of a turret though, for a 105.)

For a motor to move this moveable bunker, a custom heavyer motor than the usual Maybach would have to be made, perferably desiel, though gasoline works too.

Would be nice to make a protection against air targets, like some kind of top armor, so the rocket/bomb dosent damage, or distroy the tank.
Old 04-16-11, 02:36 AM   #6
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

instead of trying to describe the tank I always envisioned, I decided to use MS paint and show every one here.

from the front its profile would resemble a Leopard 2a6, but with the sides of the turret sloping inward. its perhaps more of a modern design but its inspired by the Maus and the M10, and perhaps something else thrown in there, maybe the Leopard.
the gun is a 150mm artillery piece, modified for AT use. its powered by a 2 whole diesels, but in reality they are 4 diesels that were welded together in pairs to produce the output this thing needs. they run along the sides, while the driver sits between them. ammo is stored in the back, with a regular battle load in the turret.

a bit more modern considering this is WWII tank designing. (lets not forget its done up in NATO colors!)

I'm also thinking of a "turret lock" that would lock the turret at 0 degrees. if the tactical situation calls for a rotating turret, the commander or gunner can unlock the turret. its really kind of a low-slung tank.
I like things that are long and low. My favorite design is the S-tank :P
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 03:05 AM   #7
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Ideal tank design

I personally would go for a Panther II equipped with the Kwk 43 L71 with a lower, rounder and more sloped turret and front armour.I would go for a diesel engine in order to reduce fuel consumption, maintenance and risk o fire comapred to gasoline engine. By sloping and making turret rounder I would be able to reduce somewhat thickness of armour and decrease weight making tank preppier and putting less strain on transmission and suspension.
Old 04-16-11, 12:51 PM   #8
Pillar
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5

[QUOTE=frinik;1642410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillar View Post
Speed is not important imo, nor a turret.I think turrets are overrated, in terms of the trade-off between that and gun size.

I agree with you on the Jagdpanzer IV L70 but once your tracks are disabled and you ' re dead meat for all enemy tanks to flank you and take you out you may appreciate the usefulness of a turret
Other than in WoT (), is there any evidence that this was actually a problem in battle?

Tracks are very resilient things against HE/Artillery. And, the range we'd expect this sort of overwatch tank to fight from would be around 600-1200m, with plenty of support from other arms. It is not a main battle tank concept.

What do you think? Are track hits at those ranges a likely concern? Is rotating the chassis going to be necessary for sector coverage at those ranges, even if the tracks do get shot?
Pillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 02:40 PM   #9
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

theres always the chance a lucky shot would stray off and hit the track from the front. but chances are the tank itself is dug in and hull down.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 01:34 AM   #10
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Tracks Damage

According to Thomas Jentz 13.6% of all Tiger I lost were due to damage to their tracks from mines, artillelly or AT guns hits, infantry(grenades, satchels or panzerfaust, airstriles or direct hits by other armour.If you have a turret you canreasonably fight off any flanking manoeuvre while you repair or tow your tank if you can.But with a Stug or jadpanzer the only alternative is for the crew to expose themselves to hostile fire to make repairs
Old 04-19-11, 06:08 AM   #11
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

T-34's body slope and speed and simplicity, Panther Panzer V armor thickness and weight and size and Tiger I's 88mm gun, IS-3 low front silhouette and turret shape.

Easier said than done.

For RL I must give T-34-85 my utmost respect.
Old 04-21-11, 02:35 PM   #12
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
T-34's body slope and speed and simplicity, Panther Panzer V armor thickness and weight and size and Tiger I's 88mm gun, IS-3 low front silhouette and turret shape.

Easier said than done.

For RL I must give T-34-85 my utmost respect.

Why give your idea the Kwk 36, Id give it the kwk 43, far better gun.

Using the Pzgr 39 it could penitrate 110 mm of armor at 500m, while the 43 could penetrate 185 at the same range with the same amunition IIRC.

Old 04-21-11, 03:10 PM   #13
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force View Post
Why give your idea the Kwk 36, Id give it the kwk 43, far better gun.

Using the Pzgr 39 it could penitrate 110 mm of armor at 500m, while the 43 could penetrate 185 at the same range with the same amunition IIRC.
Not the same ammunition, the KwK 43's was different, especially with its much larger propelling charge.

Though if your chassis is only as heavy as a Panther, it might not be able to carry the KwK 43 and sufficient ammunition, or it might not be able to withstand the pressure of firing it.
Old 04-21-11, 03:30 PM   #14
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Give me a Sherman Firefly
Enlarge it so you can cram a squad of light infantry inside.
Make it amphibious.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 04:31 PM   #15
mr. whukid
Watch

Downloads: 35

It depends on the type of fighting. If it was an offensive vehicle, I'd put a Panzer 3 Ausf J. Turret on a Panther chassis with the engine in the front. Then, with the extra room in back, put extra ammo storage and accommodations for a squad of infantry. (Notice the Murkava design ) For a Defensive/limited offense vehicle, I'd mound a Porschturm (Tiger 2 turret) KwK 36 L/56 on a Panzer IV chassis with thickened, sloped armour in the front.

Defense vehicle
Porshturm = more ammo/space/sloped armour
Kwk 36 L/56 = same gun as the Tiger 1 ( more than enough killing power )
Panzer IV chassis = most commonly produced chassis of the Germans during world war 2. the reinforced/sloped armor provides extra protection and controls the crew will already be familiar with. Also allows for a lower profile than the later Tiger series

Offense vehicle
Panther Chassis = very large/ roomy without an engine in the rear. better armor than the panzer III and with a much bigger engine.
Ausf J. turret = less space required for ammo, less space required for turret/gun. Also was very effective in offensive operations on all fronts
Combination = a WW2 version of a modern APC

** Both include a gyroscope for shooting on the move

Last edited by mr. whukid; 04-25-11 at 12:03 AM.
mr. whukid is offline   Reply With Quote