SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-12, 12:46 AM   #1
paperdog
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default AIRCRAFT Go DOWN

Hey everybody,

I 'm building a mission in DW where I have an enemy Mirage 5 scouting over the gulf for civilian shipping. The tactics are simple Area Way-points (and/or Perimerter boxes)

During run-time, the aircraft maneuvers around and eventually descends down to sea level, where it just craps out...and disappears.

I've tried altitude and speed adjustments on the way points, but no luck.

Anyway to fix this problem?

thanks
paperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 05:51 AM   #2
eodcheese
Swabbie

Downloads: 159

Does he run out of fuel?
eodcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 09:50 PM   #3
paperdog
Nub

I don't think its out of fuel...since this happens within a few minutes of mission start. (Starts as in flight aircraft and with the refresh setting enabled it should actually turn and head for Base when fuel is low)
Old 01-27-12, 01:11 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I would experiment with the surface EMCON (turn EMCON off if it's on), aircraft loadout, aircraft type (consider MPA, AWACS, unarmed craft in particular), and if all else fails, revert to a simple Transit tactic.

If I remember correctly, most of the time I experienced this sort of AI bug in mission design it was being caused by fighter aircraft trying to VID or engage surface traffic. So the solutions could involve classifying the contacts sooner, or getting the aircraft to just not care.
Old 02-05-12, 01:51 PM   #5
paperdog
Nub

Thanks Molon, I will investigate that option. By default I think Emcon is already off, Loadouts on the Mirage are also default ( Excocets).

I had a formation defined (Two aircraft) and the wing-man in that group crapped out during the attack run of the civilian shipping...

SO, I dropped the formation and kept it to one aircraft and that seemed to improve the duration of the aircraft's life, before it crapped out also.

I'm now looking at the civilian shipping (which also was a formation of three vessels)

There may be a connection surrounding the id of formations (where the aircraft AI cant discern the individual traffic)

I'll keep ya posted...
thanks again.
Old 02-05-12, 02:01 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

For diagnostic purposes, you could put a friendly ship within 10 or so miles of the surface traffic the Mirages are looking for. My guess would be the friendly ship will ID the traffic and then the Mirages will either go about their business or fire off their Exocets.

If that works, you could have a more AI-stable craft (or a craft on Transit tactic) ID the civvies and spawn the Mirages afterwards.