SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-19, 03:55 PM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default Just one more Silent Hunter!

I refuse to believe that it’s over with. I believe there’s just a room for one more silent hunter. I’ve said it before I’ll say it again, modern nuclear submarine silent hunter. Walkable ships walkable submarines sonar suites, weapons rooms, command rooms. There just has to be a way we can get one more out of booby soft. Or maybe there someone here on this form that would be willing to take on the challenge. I’ve always wanted to be able to command a nuclear submarine the way I could command the uboat in SH5. There just has to be a way of doing this. I’m tired of the red storm rising style third person view. I’m tired of the click to station. It’s time! It’s time we finally got our fully interactive nuclear submarine. Come on already! U-boat on steam looks like a great game, but I’m tired of the World War II genre. Let’s get the right game going, come on folks. I never tried SH5 until TWOS came out and fixed it. It’s incredible the work that our own people on subsim can do. That’s why I believe someone at on this forum could build a beautiful modern sub sim.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 05:39 PM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Unless a fighting war is fictionalized up, where would the exciting game play be in a modern nuclear submarine?

Hours of moving very slowly and making gradual turns either following someone or being followed by someone, may be realistic but I am not sure it will be a sell-able game concept.

Just from an academic curiosity standpoint, would not mind some sort of computer simulation of the insides of a Nuke Sub. But I am having a hard time imaging a "SH" type of game.

One of the mechanics, that, in my opinion, makes the SH series enjoyable is the emphasis on the personal skill of the captain. The captain was the one making the observations and making the gut decision whether to attack, when to attack and how to attack.

Does any of that even take place in a Nuke Sub these days? There are so many stations and computers working together and running in the background, I don't know if any Nuke Sub actually looks through a periscope and decides to zig right or zag left. I am not sure where the exciting game play could be in a peacetime Nuke Sub simulator.

And then there is my opinion that simulators are not games and games are not simulators. I am sure that someone can design a nuke sub simulator that is accurate but I don't think it will be marketable. It is possible to make a nuke sub game that would be marketable but it won't be much of a simulator.

In these types of software development there is consistent compromise. Trying to make it simulated enough but at the same time fun enough is tough. Added on to that a desire to make it profitable and I understand why so few software developers want to move into the submarine game area.

For me, it is the technological limitations of WWI and WWII submarines that make it attractive as a game. These submarines were surface craft that could occasionally submerged and putter along for a little while. One has to maneuver on the surface, where the sub is vulnerable trying to get to a position where it is possible to submerge and gain some advantage.

I don't get that with modern nuclear submarine games where I can follow a surface ship while remaining submerged. Sub against Sub is the only aspect I enjoyed about nuke submarines and that was mostly a contest to see who could sneeze last.

I think the only future for a nuclear submarine would be an independent effort. I just don't see the major game developers being able to make a favorable market case for selling this on the open game market.

Sadly, I do believe that SH5 is the last SH. But in today's gaming environment, I can't see a SH6 being developed by a major developer.

Look at what is selling these days and see if there is any aspect of what sells that could be applied to a nuke sub game. I am not seeing much.

The good news is that I feel that SH3 and 4 will be around for a long time and I hope that there is continued modding.

I can't opine on SH5. I bought it when it first came out and tried to play it. I have not been motivated enough to try some of the great mods out there for SH5.
Old 01-20-19, 05:50 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

You made terrific points. You are obviously market aware. I’m only speaking as a true hobbyist/enthusiast, and peak from the heart.

I sir am that nerd that would sit there for hours patrol the ocean and look for stuff.

It can still scenario driven like DW, but how you proceed from pier to zone can affect how easy or difficult that mission goes.

Being detected can bring serious consequences to your overall goal.

The Cold War of course is a treasure trove.

Cold waters is an excellent version of what I want, just get rid of the top down map, give several time compression options, and allow me to drive my boat to those locations and do dirty work.

I would be that consumer!!!!

If you ever played SH then I know you haves played a long session with nothing going on in your patrol. It would be the exact same thing!
Old 01-21-19, 01:09 PM   #4
dsawan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66

Should be Russian sh2 or 3 or 5. From the Russian perspective. So Baltic Sea;Berign Sea etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic...aigns_(1939–45)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...aigns_(1941–44)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submar...ampaigns_(1944)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shchuka-class_submarine
dsawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 02:40 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

They haven't even got WW2 right yet. Plus an "Allied" WW2 sub sim would be nice (one that covers British and Dutch submarine activities, as well as others).

There is a lot of room for a lot of development in any period, especially if it's finally done right.
Old 01-21-19, 03:55 PM   #6
jaeuta
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
They haven't even got WW2 right yet. Plus an "Allied" WW2 sub sim would be nice (one that covers British and Dutch submarine activities, as well as others).

There is a lot of room for a lot of development in any period, especially if it's finally done right.

There is so much that could be covered in a new WW2 sim. I particularly like this idea of covering the allied subs. I suppose there is also some scope for a WW1 sim as well. I am not sure sure about a reboot of dangerous waters etc. Personally I can sit for hours playing these games so yea bring it on.

PS- new here so hello
jaeuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 06:25 PM   #7
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Welcome Aboard
Old 01-21-19, 07:49 PM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Unless a fighting war is fictionalized up, where would the exciting game play be in a modern nuclear submarine?
We all should be prepared for modern/future wars. Thinking: future war will be similar to last one is usually forecast of defeat :P
Before WWII Kriegsmarine made many "war games" for improving submarine warfare and determining submarine role in next war. Today most Navies do the same but for larger scale. Why you think only WWI /WWII is exciting when most sub warfare knowledge was improved/developed after last WW?

Quote:
Hours of moving very slowly and making gradual turns either following someone or being followed by someone, may be realistic but I am not sure it will be a sell-able game concept.
Hmm i think this sentence is closer to WWI/WWII submariners than modern subs.

Quote:
One of the mechanics, that, in my opinion, makes the SH series enjoyable is the emphasis on the personal skill of the captain. The captain was the one making the observations and making the gut decision whether to attack, when to attack and how to attack.
I dont want to crew management in good modern subsim game. In my opinion it was added to SH series because game without it was too empty and little boring (it's my own opinion). BTW sending crew to bunk beds, to mess or WC is NOT (and never was) role of capitan

Quote:
For me, it is the technological limitations of WWI and WWII submarines that make it attractive as a game.
It's quite romantic but in other hand technological limitations decrease submarine role to "sinking tonnage". Even attacking warships was too risky and WWII sub Captains just avoided it. Modern sub can do much more tasks including engaging strong battle groups, SOF, ELINT, screening own forces, eliminating enemy subs, striking on crucial installations and much, much more. Submarines during WWII was able only to sinking tonnage and very limited to some other tasks. And one of most important is cooperation with other forces like warships with high variety of roles, airplanes, land missile battalions, satelites... This level of mixed forces cooperation wasn't available during WWII. (and yes.. wolfpack role was only small % of total submarine warfare in these wars).

Playing MP missions in DW gives community high spectrum of modern naval warfare. The bad think is - DW is quite old and focused only on ASW. All rest is only shadow of main aspect.

I would like to play new modern sub/warship simulator game in level of commanding similar to DW but with better projection of current time possibilities.
Walking on ship board or interiors would be nice but its only eye-candy for first hour - nothing more
Old 01-21-19, 08:09 PM   #9
bstanko6
Admiral

See crew management, logistics, malfunctions are what I want in the Nuke game. Along with the campaign I would be happy! The captain was not just a fighting sailor, he was an administrator, disciplinarian, and logitician. On my way to the campaign zone I want to make important decisions on repairs and have a working relationship with the crew. I want to mix SILENT HUNTER 5 with DANGEROUS WATERS with SILENT STEEL! What a love child that would be! Oh I can see it now!

Last edited by bstanko6; 01-24-19 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 04:15 PM   #10
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

If sales of wolfpack game go well then maybe we can have a silent hunter single player sequel . I hear they have a good publisher .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-19, 02:15 AM   #11
bstanko6
Admiral

I can only hope so!
Old 02-02-19, 04:37 PM   #12
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

At this point a silent Hunter 3 remastered would go down well.
Either that or modern day SH3 clone.

I think we will see some kind of revival at some point, but most likely, it wont be anything from Ubisoft. They are so done with SH and sims in general.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote