Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-17, 04:54 PM   #1
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 181
Uploads: 0
Default Issue with Wolves of Steel mod.

Everything works but for some reasons the charts shows up as black. Game dosent freeze theres just a big black box where the chart should have been.

Hope somebody can help. It is kind of annoying. Sure I can print most charts I need but having them ingame is handy.
dashyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 09:44 AM   #2
gambla
Gunner

Downloads: 43

Hard to tell. Maybe your GPU runs out of video memory ? If and which mods are you running ?
gambla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 09:35 AM   #3
SatrusK2
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashyr View Post
Everything works but for some reasons the charts shows up as black. Game dosent freeze theres just a big black box where the chart should have been.

Hope somebody can help. It is kind of annoying. Sure I can print most charts I need but having them ingame is handy.
Hello,

This happened to me.
What I thought was that they went black due to user privileges. The game did not have read permissions for the charts. My solution is to run the game as an administrator and it works!

I hope I could have been helpful!

Good hunting and happy Christmas!

SK2
SatrusK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 09:55 AM   #4
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashyr View Post

This is a common problem posted many times normally Admin Privileges fixes it or by changing the DPI Scaling in the same way ( Right Click on SH5.exe and properties)

Simon
Old 12-21-17, 02:24 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

It is best to install all SH games OUTSIDE of the standard Ubisoft folders upon install and NOT in the Program Files (x86) folder, so you avoid all trouble with Admin settings etc.
IIRC this is written in line 1 of the TWOS install guide...
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 06:01 PM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys
TWOS uses a useful installation path of C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5.
Even if you are using a different drive changing the first letter back to C for TWOS updates is easy enough to do.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 10:18 AM   #7
Sauroketh
Mate

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post
This is a common problem posted many times normally Admin Privileges fixes it or by changing the DPI Scaling in the same way ( Right Click on SH5.exe and properties)

Simon
Sorry, sir, DPI scaling what?
anything similar in my compatibility options is

"High resolution scaling" (scrollable window, offers the game or the system to manage this scaling) [third option starting from the bottom]

and "Turn off full-screen optimization" check-box [second option starting from the bottom].

Which is the DPI Scaling you mean, sir?

P.S. The chart box appears even in BUNKER, small, empty, im the middle of the screen. It is not BIG EMPTY, as reported several messages before. And, really, game DOES NOT FREEZE at the start (supposedly skipping some necessary files?!), that's the similar symptom.
But still, I'd better ask again, are you sure it's the same issue we are talking about?

Not that I'm boasting nor complaining... but no matter how I grubbed in the game it's the first time I get a thing that ugly... WITHOUT MY INTERFERENCE!!!

Regarding the path...
My install path has always been somwhere in drive E:, kind of E:\3D\SH\5\DAS.BOOT or E:\3D\SH\5\TWoS,
I have re-installed everything from zero (wipe disk and let's go...) dozens of times due to my multiple experiments, but it's the first time this bug occurs.

Last edited by Sauroketh; 12-27-17 at 10:44 AM.
Sauroketh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 10:55 AM   #8
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauroketh View Post
Sorry, sir, DPI scaling what?
anything similar in my compatibility options is

"High resolution scaling" (scrollable window, offers the game or the system to manage this scaling) [third option starting from the bottom]

and "Turn off full-screen optimization" check-box [second option starting from the bottom].

Which is the DPI Scaling you mean, sir?

P.S. The chart box appears even in BUNKER, small, empty, im the middle of the screen. It is not BIG EMPTY, as reported several messages before. And, really, game DOES NOT FREEZE at the start (supposedly skipping some necessary files?!), that's the similar symptom.
But still, I'd better ask again, are you sure it's the same issue we are talking about?

Not that I'm boasting nor complaining... but no matter how I grubbed in the game it's the first time I get a thing that ugly... WITHOUT MY INTERFERENCE!!!

Regarding the path...
My install path has always been somwhere in drive E:, kind of E:\3D\SH\5\DAS.BOOT or E:\3D\SH\5\TWoS,
I have re-installed everything from zero (wipe disk and let's go...) dozens of times due to my multiple experiments, but it's the first time this bug occurs.
Do you run your game as an administrator?
Did you install required DX9.0c?
Does your main game install folder have removed read only attributes?
Did you try to use SH5.exe win7 compatibility options (I suppose that you use win10)?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 04:38 PM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

All has been said above, I just want to add this because it may help:
I have to set in my Nvidia Control Panel the Skaling to Fullscreen set by Display (not GPU), or the game will show grafic glitches like in your case. If you have an AMD card there is a similar setting to check and set if necessary.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 07:00 PM   #10
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Sauroketh
There are 4 fixes in this link
Total Black Screen > Sound No Picture > Picture No Sound Fixes < Windows 10 Creator Version 1703 Fixes

DirectX 9.0C > Download

Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote