SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III > SH3 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-07, 06:31 PM   #31
Flick
Sparky

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
From scratch
Ouch

If you have instructions I will only add a couple of tips

When using the mission editor make sure all new ships are added to your install first
Tis a lot easier than changing entries over after

I have always used multiple back ups
If the last one saved is no good for whatever reason then I can rollback one

Saves a world of hurt

Any questions ask away
Someone will help
Dont worry about the ouch. When is the new patch coming out!
Flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 01:39 PM   #32
Hornet
Watch

Downloads: 0

Flick,

Give me a few days while I gather my thoughts on how to explain them. I have to figure out how to list them out from topic to topic so it doesn't confuse. ( So its not skipping around ) But basically with these shortcuts you can get the time down to about 4 months, otherwise, it would take twice that long. My advice to Clay would be to gather up those postings I made in the wpl forums and read over them again. That way once I list out these shortcuts it will make a little more since to him. :hmm:

Hornet
Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 02:13 PM   #33
Flick
Sparky

Thank you Hornet.
Old 10-09-07, 07:50 PM   #34
Hornet
Watch

Downloads: 0

Sorry for the delay guys, I've been a bit layed up lately. Just bought a new house, three bedrooms and an extra room upstairs. Well me and the wifey decided to put the computer upstairs last thursday. Well after talking to the dsl guys I got my 4 MG connection and the computer was rocking hot....So I wanted to go down the stairs and tell the wife to come up and look how much faster 4 Mgs is compared to our previous 1.5.....well about half way down the stairs I missed a step and surf boarded on my arse all the way down the stairs.....

Lucky I didn't break something, but just now getting to where i can sit still long enough to post something.

First thing you have to decide is what kind of campaign your going to write:

There are several options limited only by your imagination. But these are some of the options I thought of when I first started writing campaigns>

Go with the standard game campaigns:

Good idea, but a little boring and after you have played it a while, its fairly repetitive. Its of course much easier since the files are already written for you.

Go with the standard game campaign but alter it to your liking:

This is the (middle ground ) if you will and probably your best bet. Simply open up the SCR and RND files within your editor and look at the files themselves. Compared to the SH2 days, this is much more visual and no code writing is needed. Just drop in the ships and put in the sailing data and so forth. Its just like writing a multiplayer mission, only you have much more flexibility with the campaigns. The SCR file is of course scripted. It will appear no matter what happens. The RND file is random elements in the campaign that will happen, but more randomly. You can set this yourself. If your a (newbee) to writing campaigns, its better to start with something already written and then just add to it. It will give you examples to look at and see how the makers of the game set up the ships and groups.

1. Hint: Look over all kinds of things in here. Things such as minefields, sub nets, ship groups, single shipping. Pay attention to the sail times, when they disappear, and in the case of mines, their depths.....look over everything in the standard files, then start building on it however you wish. ( most important ) - Make sure your groups don't collide in the ocean. They do, and you'll get a backlog of ships at patches in the middle of the ocean. Check their courses and ETA's at various locations, make sure they don't overlap with other ships or convoys. This is one of the most time consuming things in making a campaign. You don't want convoys colliding at mid ocean, its unrealistic and gooffy to look at. It also has a cascading effect throughout the entire campaign.

2. Hint: There is a way to create convoys and set their distances quickly. Right click on the commadore of the convoy you put in and click arrange group. This will alllow you quickly to set the distance of the ships appart from one another.

3. Hint: If you want to make duplicate ships quickly in the campaign files:
Hit control "c", then control "v". this will place an exact duplicate of the ship and then you can alter it quickkly.

4. Hint: If you place a convoy in the wrong place or other group of ships,. Simple drag the convoy commadore to the correct place and click "arrange group" after right clicking, then arrange the ships and they will move to the NEW spot on the map.

5. Hint: BACK-UP, BACK-UP, BACK-UP. I can't say that enough. It will really piss you off to put in a 70 ship convoy and have a squirrel get on the transformer outside your house and blow a fuse. Then you will blow a fuse after you have lost your data////// I usually back up ever time I do 5 new things in the files. Ships, aircraft, or whatever....

Create an ALL NEW campaign......

This is my favorite. More time consuming cause I don't have anything to start with. You really have to know what you are doing to try this. Cause when you open the mission editor, your basically starting with a "blank" ocean. I like it because I can make it historical and use only actual convoys that sailed. I can do anything I want, but this is the long version to the same goal. The last campaign I wrote took me almost 9 months to do this way. But I think was well worth it....The same hints apply above, however you have to be well versed in how to place ships and aircraft, how to do waypoints and pay particular attention to whether the ships are 'delete on last waypoint" or not and when....

Either way you go, even with the hints, your looking at a 6 month job for the newbie at doing this, even with altering the standard campaign to your liking....It takes me a little less cause I'm practiced at it....

The creating your own, will take much longer. but you'll get better satisfaction from it.

Hint: Make sure to have your messages in the campaign corrispond to the events in the campaign. The messages_en file is where you add messages in the campaign. Pay attention to how they are arranged and in what order, notice they are time sensitive. And in chronological order....keep to that. But make sure they match the other layers in the campaign so your not giving our false information to yourself in the campaign.

Hope this helps....
Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 08:21 PM   #35
Flick
Sparky

Thank you very much Hornet and sorry to hear about your surf ride on the stairs.

I had a few a those on the back steps of the balcony in winter......

Passing the info to CTU_Clay and again thanks for getting back greatly appreciated.

Congrats on your new home.

Cheers,
Old 10-11-07, 10:53 AM   #36
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 312

Thanks Hornet.
I have all your "campaign making" type files you have posted at WPL, and this latest one here in this thread now. They are all helping and I sincerely Thank You again.

My latest question in mind is regarding using SH3-GWX, SH3 Commander, and any changes to make GWX work with any new campaign scripted file.

...if you create a new campaign with the SH3-GWX Installed and with SH3-GWX Mission Editor. Will it work with SH3 Commander patched for GWX?

Clay
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 10:03 PM   #37
tater
Navy Seal

Uploads: 2

If doing a whole campaign you might seriously consider this application:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113918

It is my understanding that the 2 systems are pretty close to each other. If the Automated Campaign Editor works with SH3, it is amazingly powerful.

tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 01:36 PM   #38
Flick
Sparky

Thank you tater.
Old 10-14-07, 05:04 PM   #39
tater
Navy Seal

Uploads: 2

Let me know if you want any scripting samples.

You can literally turn this lose on the entire campaign folder, and change the whole thing.

Lurker did some early experiments, had it delete all the group contents in the stock campaign, repopulate them based on complex rules by month/year, assign cargoes to the ships, change the waypoint speeds randomly in a range of values, add loops here and there... paste it in, let it work, boom, new camapign.

Obviously you can make your own content first as well.

It also allows things like zig zagging groups. Pretty much all traffic dangerous waters zig-zagged, hard to believe the capability isn't organic to either SH3 or SH4. Not having ZZs is like not having destroyers, lol.

tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 12:30 PM   #40
Flick
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Let me know if you want any scripting samples.

You can literally turn this lose on the entire campaign folder, and change the whole thing.

Lurker did some early experiments, had it delete all the group contents in the stock campaign, repopulate them based on complex rules by month/year, assign cargoes to the ships, change the waypoint speeds randomly in a range of values, add loops here and there... paste it in, let it work, boom, new camapign.

Obviously you can make your own content first as well.

It also allows things like zig zagging groups. Pretty much all traffic dangerous waters zig-zagged, hard to believe the capability isn't organic to either SH3 or SH4. Not having ZZs is like not having destroyers, lol.

tater

CTU_Clay might be interested and take you up on your offer.

Thanks again,
Old 11-30-07, 09:19 AM   #41
panzer 49th
Weps

Downloads: 5
What happened to this user?

Was he banned did he leave and have his account deleted I cant see hi post count or click his username.

What happened to him?
Old 07-12-11, 04:48 AM   #42
pditty8811
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default I'm looking for the hugest SCR, RND, and LND files here!

I'm looking for the biggest campaign files here. I have almost all ships and I have been modding my data folder for abou 5 years.

If you guys could help me out plz.

I like historical accuracy and realism.

I have tried GWX and WAC campaign files but they are not big enough. I was wondering if anyone here has one to upload for us.

I do like the historical single missions the one guy creates for each new ship so we can add it to the campaign file. But this takes too long and I have many other tweaking to do.

I was wondering if anyone else has a huge SCR, RND, and LND campaign files?

I would like to see most operations in it too, with the Tirpitz in Norway by 45 or 44 whenever it blew up.
Old 07-12-11, 06:10 AM   #43
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

About Tirpitz in Norway....

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz...n_and_now.html

And what more precisely, do you want your prospects 'mission' to look in camp.files

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 06:30 AM   #44
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pditty8811 View Post
I'm looking for the biggest campaign files here. I have almost all ships and I have been modding my data folder for abou 5 years.

If you guys could help me out plz.

I like historical accuracy and realism.

I have tried GWX and WAC campaign files but they are not big enough. I was wondering if anyone here has one to upload for us.

I do like the historical single missions the one guy creates for each new ship so we can add it to the campaign file. But this takes too long and I have many other tweaking to do.

I was wondering if anyone else has a huge SCR, RND, and LND campaign files?

I would like to see most operations in it too, with the Tirpitz in Norway by 45 or 44 whenever it blew up.
GWX aren't big enough?

Those campaign files took literally thousands of hours to create then test for conflicts so if you find a source for something bigger and more accurate I'd appreciate a link.

Oh and btw.....Tirpitz is already in GWX from each building phase to her demise.

You'll find her at Tromso (the place she still lies in today from 15/10/44 t0 12/11/44

One important point to bear in mind...having campaign layers is fine but you'll also need the models ingame and ensure they don't conflict with those already installed.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 07:09 AM   #45
pditty8811
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

lol and it looks like the planes come and bomb it.

I created my own Tirpitz demise. I added it to a SCR campaign but its currupt now. I guess I have some model conflicts hard to fix btw.

I made a couple bombs in bombs.dat in Library. I didnt change the models, cuz I don't know how to do that stuff. But I made the big bombs, essentially simulating the huge bombs the Brits used on the Tirpitz, explosion proportionate to weight.