Old 03-25-18, 07:40 PM   #1
SurfnSea3
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Rookie Kapitan Cannot Manage Crew

Before they mutiny I need to figure out how to:
1. Manage crew.
Pressing G does not call up screen. Indeed the icons I should have in the upper right of my screen are not showing while the icons for map etc. in the lower left do show.
2. No watch crew on bridge with me while surfaced.

I've done some searching on the forums but have not found the solution yet. So any help is appreciated. I do have experience with Silent Hunter 3 & 4. In fact I first came to SubSim back in the Silent Hunter 2 days. So i'm not a total newbie. However my crew apparently is not impressed. Besides the brig is not big enough for those who refuse to do their job...that is if I can figure out how to get them to do their job and figure out how to throw someone into the brig.
My SH5 install is a Steam install.

Thanks in advance.
SurfnSea3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 04:13 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hi SurfnSea3,
I'm not pleased to reveal it to you, but in SH5 there is pretty nothing to do to 'manage' your crew. What you can do is distribute them more points for their capabilities (I don't recall the shortcut, I think it's I). You earn these points by succeeding missions.
Also if your sub is in big trouble like flooding, the only thing you can do is talk to the engineer to speed-up repairs and set the crew to Battlestations Level 2 (for that you need to play TWoS and talk to the Watch Officer). Don't forget to revert these orders else the crew will stay on alert and be less effective elsewhere.
For torpedos, there is a "Pre-heat" order to give to the torpedo man, but you need to travel all the way to him to give this order.
AFAIK, that's pretty it for crew management.
If you miss crew management a lot then I advice you to play SH3/SH4 instead, there is much more to it.

For the Watch Crew not on the bridge: Do not ALT-TAB out of the game, else you will screw it up, instead save/ALT-TAB out/reload game.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-26-18 at 04:28 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 08:03 AM   #3
SurfnSea3
Watch

Thank you very much for the reply. That helps. Once I feel I know SH5 well enough I'll add the Wolves of Steel mod and give that a go.
Old 03-27-18, 09:31 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSea3 View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. That helps. Once I feel I know SH5 well enough I'll add the Wolves of Steel mod and give that a go.
Go on playing, but I must warn you that the stock game has a lot of shortcommings, especially the torpedo handling and mission system.
TWoS improves the game in all aspects (hundreds of fixes and add-ons), so IMHO it's worth loading this mod immediately.

If things do not work (stock game), then I advice you not losing much time to 'understand' what's wrong, that's futile. The general picture is: the stock game is very arcadish; TWoS turns the game in a realistic experience with almost no bugs, or none I'm aware of.
The downside of TWoS is: the gameplay is not easy and there are a lot of 'special instructions' to follow in order to make the mod and game work ok, so when you are ready for it you need to read the instructions and follow them 'to the letter'.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-27-18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 10:40 AM   #5
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
there are a lot of 'special instructions' to follow in order to make the mod and game work ok'.
With Vecko's new installer it's pretty easy
Old 03-27-18, 06:47 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin-nl View Post
With Vecko's new installer it's pretty easy
Yes, very easy now, but that's not what I meant, what I meant to say is that *playing* TWoS is not a piece of cake...Surely not for everyone, and surely not without re-reading all the instructions in the TWoS thread (see mod forum > TWoS thread > Gameplay Tips).
Old 03-27-18, 10:42 PM   #7
Rosco74
Torpedoman

Downloads: 45

I would not start to learn with the basic game, jump to WoS right now, without Real Navigation if you want, but this is just improved stock game, no need to learn Something before using the Mod.
Rosco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 11:22 PM   #8
SurfnSea3
Watch

So I'm guessing I'd need to do a complete uninstall of SH5 then reinstall before adding Wolves of Steel. If so what's the best way to make a complete uninstall of SH5?

By the way thanks to the above replies for advice it's much appreciated.
Old 03-28-18, 04:38 AM   #9
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 349

Quote:
So I'm guessing I'd need to do a complete uninstall of SH5 then reinstall before adding Wolves of Steel. If so what's the best way to make a complete uninstall of SH5?

By the way thanks to the above replies for advice it's much appreciated.

Hi SurfnSea3

A clean start is generally best, uninstall with standard game uninstaller via Windows Control Panel or third party app like 10bit [ Free ]. Saved game folder in My Documents/SH5 should be deleted too.

Run Free Registry Cleaner https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Uplay does not need removing

Refer to post http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233720

For general advice SH5 <> TUTORIALS <>HOW TO DO IT <> INFORMATION <> DOWNLOAD LINKS

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...50&postcount=1

Installing Wolves of Steel is easier than any other Silent hunter 5 Mod by far and there is an abundance of guides on how to use Manual TDC, Real Navigation Etc. There is still some range with difficulty levels set it to how suits you best. Wolves of Steel has several optional add ons which can ease the learning curve or make it more realistic

The Crew Management in Silent Hunter 5 is far less involved and immersive compared to SH3/4 , Overuse can have negative impact. I personally don't use it much other than using up promotion points prioritizing on Sound Guy/Gunner/Torps/ in that order . The use of occasional burst of speed or moral boost can be helpful in a crisis. I would not worry about it it too much tho.

Simon

WOLVES OF STEEL

Last edited by Cyborg322; 03-28-18 at 04:50 AM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 09:52 PM   #10
SurfnSea3
Watch

I get the following error when running the Steam Conversion Tool: There is an issue with the SH5 REGKEY
I've followed the instructions given above and also followed the PDF that comes with installing WoS.

I am currently trying to figure out why the error occured. Any thoughts about why would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-18, 01:55 AM   #11
SurfnSea3
Watch

Update: Followed instructions to the way I thought was intended to do a 'clean' install after uninstalling. Reinstalled game then went through steps to install Wolves of Steel for my Steam version. Got the SH5 REGKEY error again. Figured it had to do with the SH5.exe file. Tried everything again. This time I created a patched version of the SH5. Was able to install Wolves of Steel and...nothing. Followed steps to the 'T' as given in the PDF for installing to a Steam version.

At this point I think I'll keep adding to my thread here with the goal that I'll work out straight forward easy way to install WoS that works.

In the mean time I'll carry on with my 'successfully installed' version of Vanilla SH5 campaign.

Here are the instructions I used to install: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXA...ew?usp=sharing

* It's interesting that I was able to have the Steam Conversion Tool successfully patch my Steam version and then carry out the rest of the steps to install WoS. Then was able to start game and new campaign. Then set sail and realize that everything was strangely similar to my first vanilla SH5 campaign. I was confused as I thought it would be obvious that I was now running the WoS and that even then if it wasn't successfully installed I wouldn't even be able to start the game.

Last edited by SurfnSea3; 04-01-18 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-04-18, 08:50 PM   #12
SurfnSea3
Watch

Update: In Step 4 the PDF installation instructions says this:
Step 4:
Enter the game, start new campaign and don't forget to save and reload your game when you
appear in the bunker for the first time. This is necessary for correctly initiated campaign start...

Forgive my ignorance, but, how is this done? If I start the game and click New Campaign I cannot save it until I actually start it correct? Just confused on exactly how to carry out step 4.
Old 04-05-18, 09:34 AM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Update: In Step 4 the PDF installation instructions says this:
Step 4:
Enter the game, start new campaign and don't forget to save and reload your game when you
appear in the bunker for the first time. This is necessary for correctly initiated campaign start...

Forgive my ignorance, but, how is this done? If I start the game and click New Campaign I cannot save it until I actually start it correct? Just confused on exactly how to carry out step 4.
There are no issues about ignorance in TWoS, so feel free to ask, because there are tons of things to understand

After you start a new campaign you will go in the bunker. Save immediately in a separate slot and leave immediately to the main menu. Then reload. You only need to do this the first time you start a campaign chapter.
This dance is necessary in TWoS for the campaign to initialize correctly.
Old 04-05-18, 10:33 AM   #14
KirinFrost
Helmsman

Downloads: 73

well the hardest part about twos for me was figuring out which way my sub was facing in the first place...

apparently a small miss of say 2 degrees is a huge deal -_-
KirinFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 09:14 PM   #15
SurfnSea3
Watch

"After you start a new campaign you will go in the bunker. Save immediately in a separate slot and leave immediately to the main menu. Then reload. You only need to do this the first time you start a campaign chapter.
This dance is necessary in TWoS for the campaign to initialize correctly."

I was afraid you'd write that. On the rare occasion I get a "successful" install of WoS I start the game click New Campaign then it asks to name it, I do, then I get a tree like structure showing what part of the campaign I'm starting at. Not "...go in a bunker." Nowhere is there a way to save. I then click "Back" and, well, it's as if I've not started a New Campaign. So I've got SH5 installed vanilla or WoS? Who knows.

Thanks for trying to help though.