SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-22, 11:58 PM   #1
somedude88
Torpedoman

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default How to succeed in NYGM tonnage war? Tutorial or manual?

So I installed it and am trying to wrap my head around the navigational and tdc tools in the mod. There doesn't seem to be you normal stuff like the standimeter on any of the subs. So you need to use the raobf wheel. Which I kind of get, except for getting speed at angles. Not sure what all the german charts are meant for. Is there somewhere i can learn? I tried Google and YouTube but not much material to learn how to employ the charts and nav tools to best effect. Any point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Did uboats not have standimeters?

Super hard. Fun when I land a hit, but messing up hitting my initial attack positions and pretty inaccurate with the torpedoes beyond 600m.
somedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-22, 12:56 AM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Actually, every input you need for TDC can be gotten off recticle markings and rotational slide rules provided you have the ship ID. As this gives you length and mast height.

* Vertical marks give you distance.

* Horizontal marks give you AOB (a simply relationship with length).

* Timing/Chronometer gives you speed. (Some chronometers are color coded with different scales for standard ship lengths: 100M, 150M, 200M)

---

I never played your mod. But scopes all have the same 1.5X and 6X markings. You don't really need the slide rule to overlay the scope. There are slide rules that can be used just by going to the Windows desktop. Or
some implement the slide rules as pull out tools when weapon officer is selected. There is more than one way to work out most of this stuff, but it all comes down to basic math.

Further, there are more modern digital tools here at SubSim. Like one tool window, you input the length and then just drag a vertical and horizontal cursor to match the scope, and you can just read off range and AOB.

Edit: The most confusing aspects of using scope slide rules is the meaning of given scales change based on what step you are in the calculation. This is because the scales are just markings; it is between scales that represent a mathematical relationship. (So, the scale need not be static; only the calculation is static in the design.)

I had the joy of being the last generation of Newtonian Physics to use straight slide rules before handheld calculators.

Last edited by MarkShot; 11-07-22 at 01:05 AM.
MarkShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 11:35 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Click on my signature if you need assistance!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote