SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-18, 01:54 AM   #16
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

When you start game you get the TWoS splash screen, undoubtly the prove that you play TWoS. If you don't get this then you play the stock game or some kind of different mod.

You hit ESC and go to the game menu, here's where you can save and set game options. Game options must be set in the bunker or they won't apply in the campaign.
When you save game, always save in a *separate* slot, don't overwrite existing slots and don't load any Autosaves. If you do, things may go wrong (according to the TWoS notes).

In TWoS, just when you want to enter a campaign chapter you can see a pop-up where your mouse is placed telling you to 'save the game after entering the bunker, leave the bunker and reload.'
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 12:14 AM   #17
SurfnSea3
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Yep, looks as if I'm playing stock SH5 even though installing TWoS said "successful".
*EDIT-So I went back to see if I could get a TWoS splash screen when I start the game. Clicked SH5 icon to launch SH5. No TWoS splash screen there just the Silent Hunter 5 Battle of Atlantic screen. Clicked new campaign. Was asked to type in a name. Did so. Only option now is back or start game. I click start. Pictures of ships and information below pictures....still no splash screen. Pictures disappear. I press escape when screen is black. Now back in 'bunker'. This is when it dawns on me, again, information was left out of above reply just like information is missing from the PDF installation instruction steps. So I just closed game. Will try again when I have time. When exactly was there supposed to be a splash screen? Dunno. Trial and error. One step at a time. Thanks, though, for taking time to reply.

Last edited by SurfnSea3; 04-14-18 at 02:11 AM.
SurfnSea3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 07:01 AM   #18
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSea3 View Post
Yep, looks as if I'm playing stock SH5 even though installing TWoS said "successful".
*EDIT-So I went back to see if I could get a TWoS splash screen when I start the game. Clicked SH5 icon to launch SH5. No TWoS splash screen there just the Silent Hunter 5 Battle of Atlantic screen. Clicked new campaign. Was asked to type in a name. Did so. Only option now is back or start game. I click start. Pictures of ships and information below pictures....still no splash screen. Pictures disappear. I press escape when screen is black. Now back in 'bunker'. This is when it dawns on me, again, information was left out of above reply just like information is missing from the PDF installation instruction steps. So I just closed game. Will try again when I have time. When exactly was there supposed to be a splash screen? Dunno. Trial and error. One step at a time. Thanks, though, for taking time to reply.
Check your game installation path and compare it with the path you specified during TWoS installation...Rookie or not you should be aware where is your main game installed , before you dive into modding.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 07:13 PM   #19
SurfnSea3
Watch

Bingo! What you said made sense. When I was installing I did not check the path close enough. Steam has a different path. Uninstalled. Reinstalled after cleaning out all left over bits from uninstalling. Installed TWoS to match Steam install of SH5 and that did it. Thank you very much for the reply. It got me to thinking and helped me figure out what went wrong.
Old 04-15-18, 02:54 AM   #20
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSea3 View Post
Bingo! What you said made sense. When I was installing I did not check the path close enough. Steam has a different path. Uninstalled. Reinstalled after cleaning out all left over bits from uninstalling. Installed TWoS to match Steam install of SH5 and that did it. Thank you very much for the reply. It got me to thinking and helped me figure out what went wrong.
I'm glad you made it. Do you still consider TWoS installation complicated and install instructions inadequate?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-18, 10:44 PM   #21
SurfnSea3
Watch

Thanks. Not so much complicated. My problem was I didn't pay close attention to the process. There might be a couple things I'd add on to the PDF file to make it more fool proof. IOW proof fools like me can install it If I get a moment or two I'm thinking about adding notes next to pieces of the instructions; to add a detail or two. For instance file paths for Steam installs as it seems to be a bit different than the disc install.

Again, thanks to all for helping out and being patient.