SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-16, 07:25 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Subnautica

I follow this game since I bought it as Early Access early last year. It still is in Early Access.

Set in a SciFi environment, it puts the player into the role of the only survivor of a starship that wrecked on a water world. He makes his escape from his life pod, only to find himself needing to discover the huge ocean around, the various habitat zones in it, dangerous tunnels and caves with hungry carnivores, exploring the starship wreck which still burns and radiates, and finding a way to deal with the growing pressure if wantngn to explore the deeper and darker abysses of the wide ocean range around. Of course there is various flora and fauna of already huge variety, some of which are harmelss, some are dangerous, and some serve as resources.

The player explores this environment, collects ressources, snippets of information blueprints from the starship wreck, to build new equipment, parts for a sea lab that can be freely constructed, and small and big submarines. Not a realistic diving simulation, the diving in Subnautica nevertheless is great fun and looks very nice. Its probbaly the best looking underwater environment I have ever seen in any game relating to such an environment

The storyline is not yet fully developed, but there are several playing modes that already can deliver good fun if understanding the game to be an open sandbox. Included is a god mode where you can just cionmstruct away without needing to care for annoiyance slike needing to eat, save your life and collecting resources. this game mode is expected to be erased form the final version of the game. The hardcore survival game mode however can be very unforgiving.

Visually, I was hooked by the way they created the water, the kelp forests, the waves and spray on the surface, the visual display of water and spray on the player's diving mask when breaking through the water surface, the sun - or moons - shining through the breaking waves at the surface - the environment, with full day and night cycle, is a sight to see. At night, the ocean changes into a dark cosmos filled with ballets of dancing colours and lights on a black stage.

The style of technology is very much SciFi, obviously, and the animals, fishes, are a bit too colourful and a bit too comic-like, I would have preferred a more "realistic" look there, more natural looking. However, it is a game - and a real good looking one, I admit.

Players getting hooked on castle-building, really should have a look at this. The Base-building can be fun.

The game still is in developement, but over the course of the year, there have been frequent and substantial updates delivered - the project is alive and is fully supported, it seems.

VR support is on the agenda.

I do not know what it now costs, but give it a look - you might be positively surprised.

I post a link to the wikipedia which gives a better impression maybe of what this game already is, and is planned to finally become. I would describe it as a maritime castle building, open world discovering and survival game, and naval sandbox scifi game, presented in a visually very pleasant and laid-back style.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Subnautica_Wiki

Edit:

P.S.
In Germany, still 20 Euros currently. Steam player feedback gets rated on the first page as "very positive". I consider that as a minor gamble, or investment, into the future with a very fair chance to get something really good at the end.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/

And this image search overview with both latest and old ingame pics and blueprints and sketches which should give you an idea of what they are after.

https://de.images.search.yahoo.com/s...=p%3As%2Cv%3Ai

Two or three m onths ago they have implemented a nerw gfx tehcnology to display the ocean surface waves and underwater vision, most pics out there still show older stuff not that advanced.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-20-16 at 07:44 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 10:58 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Oculus Rift support is reality since today.
Old 04-06-16, 07:42 PM   #3
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

That looks awesome!

You've turned me on to some cool games over the years. Have you seen this go on sale at all?
Old 04-08-16, 07:13 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaero View Post
That looks awesome!

You've turned me on to some cool games over the years. Have you seen this go on sale at all?
Just three weeks ago it was 40% off - additionally to the Early Acess discount.

Old 07-30-17, 11:33 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Since spring last year I have not touched this game, did not want to run out of motivation for it while it still was uncomplete and not finished. I took note of the many updates that they added, and thought: this looks better and better. And yesterday I started to reconnect to the game and check it out again, now while practally all of the story mode is implemented and apparently most of the bells and whistles have been loaded and stored safely aboard. They are not yet done, but mostly they are, I get the impression.

And what a beauyt this has turned out to be! Frames improved. The ocean more alive than before, and species now showing individual behaviour patterns that I had not seen before. I am now once again hooked up to this. Its a stunning environment. The inerface was inmproved. More liefeforms added. Improvement eveywhere. This project goes along very well, me thinks.

I also find it not easy to play, if not using the lower playmodes where there is no need to collect, to care for oygen and food and water and health. The survival mode really keeps you on your toes.

And diving - never before did it look so beautiful on PC. At least not that I know. Many different underwater habitats, very different looks. Nice day and night light and colour cycle.

Just wanted to push this up the list again. If you did like me and saved yourself from investing too much of your time into an unfinished game one and a half year ago, check back. You may like what you see. If you are new, check this game out anyway, this really is a superb title, imo. Even just diving in the kelp forest and doing nothing, is an experince, and very relaxing. And adventurous. This ocean is deep. Very... And during the game you explore the ways and needs of how to build yourself the kind of equipment needed to get down there.

Very. Deep. Down.

Question is whether you really want to get there...
Old 07-31-17, 09:58 AM   #6
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I've wanted to try this out for months, but every time it's on sale, I can't bring myself to finally actually purchase it. A friend of mine is a huge fan of it and tells me to buy it every chance he gets.

If it's at a point where it's very playable in Early Access, now, I'll pull the trigger sometime soon. A lot of people seem to really like this game.
Old 08-01-17, 05:36 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
If it's at a point where it's very playable in Early Access,
in that state it is in since at least 1 and a half year already. What has been added and probbaly almost finsihed, is implementation of the story mode from beginning to end. But you can as well use it as a sandbox game for constrution only, which I did in the past - and enjoyed it as well.

Yes, it is a very bright shining little jewel, imo. I liked it from first playing session on.
Old 08-01-17, 11:12 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

For first-time-divers:

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Subnautica_Wiki
Old 08-04-17, 12:39 PM   #9
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
in that state it is in since at least 1 and a half year already. What has been added and probbaly almost finsihed, is implementation of the story mode from beginning to end. But you can as well use it as a sandbox game for constrution only, which I did in the past - and enjoyed it as well.

Yes, it is a very bright shining little jewel, imo. I liked it from first playing session on.
Well that's good! I usually am very very wary of buying Early Access games but enough people are recommending this that I think I'll give it a try in a couple weeks when I move back to college and have blazing fast internet once again.
Old 08-04-17, 07:32 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Its a long time, many years, that a computer game gave me the shivers, being played alone in the dark room.

I discovered so much new stuff and terrain the past two days. Currently using the creative mode only, which substracts survival mode (food, water, health, energy), and needs the story manually being pushed, but in survival mode, it must be quite difficult.

Not a single crash in many hours of gameplay. Already last year it was like that. No crashes.

I assume it now is only about technical optimizations. When entering another biome or another cell of the map, sometimes the games may freeze for a second. No big deal, really, it is not.

To my best knowledge, this is the only symptom you need to expect from "Early Access".

As long as you float in shallow, bright, friendly water, everything looks fine. But first time you face the abyss, will be something you remember.

I know no other submarine-based game delivering that experience of diving, and going deep, so - intense...

Nice sidenote: the devs designed it so that the player has no lethal fire weapons. Just somewhat improvised solutions from SciFi tools. May sound deterring, but is not bad.

And good use of music, sometimes for background atmosphere, sometimes for effect, a mix of Blade-Runner style and good old 80s astro synthesizer. I like the accoustic in this game.

Found a black smoker deep down below today, and a geysir/volcano outlet as well, nicely done, too, like from the movies.

Early Access can go bad, but also good. Bad example is Wreckfest (way too long, no real concept for too long time), convincing examples were Dirt 4 and Assetto Corsa. Subnautica is on track as well, just that it lasts longer already now than the 1-year period that is my criterion. In this case, the results excuse that. One must choose wisely.
Old 10-05-17, 11:42 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

We are almost there.There now is a release date for PC, which is October 31st. Today there was one of two preparatory updates paviong the way for final version 1.0, removing stuff from the construction phase, getting thigns cleaned and polished, and so forth. It also is indicated that there might come a DLC early next year.

But in principle, this is it.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Update_History

I still recommend this game. Its a little gem. I am eager to try it out in VR.

It was also said that a price raise might be imminent, so that they have the option to launch the game on Octobre 31st at a discount. This reasoning leaves you a bit perplexed? You are not alone.

It was a longer Early Access journey, okay, but they made it over the finishing line in one piece. Congratulations. Personally I prefer Early Access projects not lasting longer than one year. Dirt Rally was a good exmaple of masterful executuon, so was Assetto Corsa. At the other end of the scale, Wreckfest is a disastrous example for how to completely mismanage Early Access. Okay, they got to something in the end, while still not being in the box, but what a long and twisted and bumpy ride it was. Never again something for me from that studio, not before they are done and finished and I can see that all is good.
Old 10-06-17, 07:39 AM   #12
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Ah yes, Subnautica. The game I love and hate to play. It's all fun and games when you're diving around the starting area, but when you need to go deeper or near the crashed ship I get very anxious.

I'm one of those who feels very uneasy about dark water and not knowing what might be down there. I also don't like being next to big things, like the Aurora in Subnautica, I feel very uneasy being near it's gigantic engines, I get the feeling it will all come crashing down on me.

I do hope they open it up for modding, could really use more base modules to keep it interesting in the long run.

But yeah, it's a great game, especially if you don't like the deep dark. One of the few games in years that have made me feel scared.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 08:50 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, and Subnautica creates that effect superbly. Around the Aurora, that Abyss, and these huge creatures there with their hair-raising calls.

Going deep into the caves in other habitats, I mean really deep, also has its moments of horror, sometimes. It simply is a really great game experience. The excellence you see in that all this excitement gets created without blood and gore. No massacres. No weapon frenzies. No explicit violence.

Its also one of those games I cannot wait to try the VR mod or patch on. Imagine those kelp forests - in real 3D around you. I imagine that to be nothing but stunning.

Best played all alone, at night, in a dark room. The, sometimes, the abyss really starts to stare back into you. The comic-like screenshots and usual colourful friendly opictures are misleading, they tell you nothign about the real exciting, horrific atmopshere the game sometimes creates. When the light is fading. When the ground below falls deepr and deeper. When you hear "it" calling, and don'T know form where. When you try to track the cave mazes. Even at b egiunning, when you just can swim as free diver and have no real oxygene reserve and wonder whether you make it back to the surface.

Simply a good game. And a very beautifully looking one. And yes, I admit: I so,metimes feel scared, too. Especially at night. Alone. In a dark room.
Old 10-11-17, 11:51 AM   #14
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The comic-like screenshots and usual colourful friendly opictures are misleading, they tell you nothign about the real exciting, horrific atmopshere the game sometimes creates.
Oh yes, this is so very true. The screenshots you see are from the starting area, where you have light and it is colorful. But soon you will be going deeper and deeper and as it should be, light doesn't accompany you down there.

One thing I really like is the way the progression is quite linear. You start by just free diving, maybe building a small base. Then you get the mini-sub, which of course makes you more 'braver' to go deeper until you realize how fragile you still are. The last sub, I have some mixed feelings about, it does take away a lot of the scariness from the more common biomes since you can just run silent through them, but then again I don't feel very comfortable in it when going deeper down.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 07:05 AM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Manouvering the big sub in the tight labyrinths very deep down at the bottom, is a claustrophobic experience. Leaving it in the Prawn suite there, really makes you "feel" the pressure. First time I did, I was in a dark place and little bit lost sight on the boat. Knowing you cannot get up again withut it, but are trapped down there, and seeing almost nothing, really was an intense experience. I admit that during the early access stage I however used the more forgiving playmodes to check the features out. It did not spoil the gameplay much, I must say, which again is a compliment for the convincing nature of the environment and game they have created.